Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss. Delay - am I the only one? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss. Delay - am I the only one?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Can of worms officially opened.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    My opinion on these kind of advanced time based FX units...when you're playing live It's hard to tell the difference between a Moog and a cheap behringer delay for example. And if you're using something like this in the studio, they don't sound much better than plugins, at least not to the point where it's worth the hassle of routing the audio out from your daw and printing it back in again. Same with reverb and any modulation FX. I only find it's worth paying extra ££s for drives, fuzz, distortion etc. Just my opinion. 
    Yet on another thread everyone is praising the Caline Blue Sky overdrive pedal that is £26 on Amazon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    edited July 2023
    I’m convinced now:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603

My opinion on these kind of advanced time based FX units...when you're playing live It's hard to tell the difference between a Moog and a cheap behringer delay for example. And if you're using something like this in the studio, they don't sound much better than plugins, at least not to the point where it's worth the hassle of routing the audio out from your daw and printing it back in again. Same with reverb and any modulation FX. I only find it's worth paying extra ££s for drives, fuzz, distortion etc. Just my opinion. 

The sounds in my head are much more delays than they are overdrives (there’s just a bit of overdrive, quite a bit of overdrive and possibly too much overdrive isn’t there?)so I do like the look of the Boss. Yes, £450 for a bit of slapback buried in the mix is probably daft but if delay is a lot of your sound it’s cheap compared to buying, let’s say, a Les Paul. 
    Anyway, I hardly play these days and when I do should probably make do with the four delay pedals I’ve already got but I do think Boss have come up with a nice product here. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    I was totally underwhelmed by the Anderton's video.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Was thinking about this. Then I watched TPS and thought, ‘I don’t need that at all!’
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I might watch the JHS video later. I thought the TPS one was interesting but they are so conservative in how they use delay (ooh not too much level; what? You are demoing the delay FFS!) that it was hard to get much idea of what the Boss actually has to offer. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Was thinking about this. Then I watched TPS and thought, ‘I don’t need that at all!’
    I'm very pleased to hear that - more chance that they'll be in stock when I get paid for my recent gigs and order one!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Keefy said:
    Was thinking about this. Then I watched TPS and thought, ‘I don’t need that at all!’
    I'm very pleased to hear that - more chance that they'll be in stock when I get paid for my recent gigs and order one!
    There are LOADS in stock. The price will drop. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    I might watch the JHS video later. I thought the TPS one was interesting but they are so conservative in how they use delay (ooh not too much level; what? You are demoing the delay FFS!) that it was hard to get much idea of what the Boss actually has to offer. 
    I wouldn’t watch the JHS one. I got very quickly bored and turned it off! 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1012
    It looks great. I'm currently running a delay llama extreme with the control box, so roughly similar size
  • CFHCFH Frets: 437
    I bought one. I love BBD delays and have tried most of the well knowns and so have a solid base of reference to compare the DM-101 to (including the Moog MF-104M/Z, EchoCzar, Asheville ADG1, Bondi Art Van, DMMs, Thermae, RKM, Rubberneck etc). 

I was initially slightly underwhelmed by the 101. It is quite a “clean” sounding unit for a BBD delay, whereas my preference is gritty and murky. Perhaps a gain knob like on the ADG1 would be a nice addition but I can live without a tone knob. 

However, having played it a lot over the last few days it has REALLY grown on me. In particular:

- The pattern delays are really nice. Definitely different to a Volante which has that binson-y slightly metallic sound. The repeats are soft, rhythmic and smeary.  

- The modulation is really good. Probably the best I’ve had although the Art Van modulation is probably as good but not as flexible. In classic mode the waveform is changeable also. Dialling in a subtle bit of “movement” is a great sound. 

- Nice presence and long delay times. Although my personal preference would be that the repeats are a bit grittier, they do balance really nicely and are well voiced. 

- Memory, stereo out, and tap tempo. Fairly “basic” features for a lot of delay pedals but somewhat rare for a BBD delay. Some TGPers have criticised the lack of stereo in but as far as I’m aware that would be hugely prohibitive cost wise as it would essentially require two distinct delay circuits. I’m happy with stereo out although I haven’t put that feature to the test. 

I haven’t really deep dived into the other algorithms yet but having twelve distinct modes is unique for a BBD delay. This thing is super fully featured and I’d definitely recommend! 

I will update once I’ve spent more time with it, but initial impressions are great and it’s well worth the cost in my view. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    @CFH thanks for the review. Sounds very useful. I'm also a bit surprised more analogue delays don't have a knob to add a bit of distortion to the repeats. Can't imagine it would be very complicated to do, and I'd certainly find it useful. 
  • londondanlondondan Frets: 9
    Nice review @CFH. I picked mine up yesterday and have only had time to spend maybe a couple of hours with it so far, but my first impressions are very positive. Have played both a Les Paul and a Tele through it, with a Wampler Moxie and Strymon Deco before for varying levels of OD, and a Strymon Flint afterwards for a little reverb.

Mostly sticking to the Classic, Vintage and Ambience modes so far, and there's a huge amount you can do with those three alone. There are months worth of sounds in here, from very simple slapback to completely out of control self-oscillation. Given the cost, the challenge is going to be forcing myself to actually use the various modes and get to know them properly, to try and get the best out of it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Really though I’d need to find space on my board for this, but the demos (Andertons and TPS) make it sound really bland, 
    Mine arrived today and I’ve spent an hour with it so far. Lots of great sounds on tap (pun intended). The Modern mode produces some of the clearest analog delay sounds that I’ve heard. The Multi Head mode is my current favourite, perfect for Shadows emulations. I’ve also had a quick go at programming it for an expression pedal, which you can set up to morph between two sets of control settings. I’ve saved a couple of sounds in the memory slots but I reckon my next purchase might be some kind of MIDI pedal to fully exploit the memory facility.

I realise I’ve barely scratched the surface, there are so many possibilities here - I haven’t tried any stereo stuff yet.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    I’m the mix no one will notice. May as well use your ME-50 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rze99 said:
    I’m the mix no one will notice. May as well use your ME-50 
    Yep, you crack on and do that ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    CFH said:
    I bought one. I love BBD delays and have tried most of the well knowns and so have a solid base of reference to compare the DM-101 to (including the Moog MF-104M/Z, EchoCzar, Asheville ADG1, Bondi Art Van, DMMs, Thermae, RKM, Rubberneck etc). 

I was initially slightly underwhelmed by the 101. It is quite a “clean” sounding unit for a BBD delay, whereas my preference is gritty and murky. Perhaps a gain knob like on the ADG1 would be a nice addition but I can live without a tone knob. 

However, having played it a lot over the last few days it has REALLY grown on me. In particular:

- The pattern delays are really nice. Definitely different to a Volante which has that binson-y slightly metallic sound. The repeats are soft, rhythmic and smeary.  

- The modulation is really good. Probably the best I’ve had although the Art Van modulation is probably as good but not as flexible. In classic mode the waveform is changeable also. Dialling in a subtle bit of “movement” is a great sound. 

- Nice presence and long delay times. Although my personal preference would be that the repeats are a bit grittier, they do balance really nicely and are well voiced. 

- Memory, stereo out, and tap tempo. Fairly “basic” features for a lot of delay pedals but somewhat rare for a BBD delay. Some TGPers have criticised the lack of stereo in but as far as I’m aware that would be hugely prohibitive cost wise as it would essentially require two distinct delay circuits. I’m happy with stereo out although I haven’t put that feature to the test. 

I haven’t really deep dived into the other algorithms yet but having twelve distinct modes is unique for a BBD delay. This thing is super fully featured and I’d definitely recommend! 

I will update once I’ve spent more time with it, but initial impressions are great and it’s well worth the cost in my view. 
    Interested to hear your update Cas?
  • CFHCFH Frets: 437
    @tomajoha my amp has been in for a repair for a few weeks so not much of an update other than I’m still very happy with it. It just covers so much ground. Hopefully I’ll have my amp back this week and can dig a bit deeper into it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’ve played with mine some more. On the minus side I’m not loving the modulation, which I’m finding a bit metallic except when the Variation knob is fully clockwise for custom wibbliness. To me the gold standard of analog delays is the DMM, where the modulation sits somewhere between a warm chorus and the pitch movement of a tape echo.

Otherwise still loving it, so much so that two other echo pedals (TC Flashback Mini and Nu-X Tape Core) will be going to new homes. I’m now looking to install it on my ampless pedalboard, and store some song-specific echoes in the memory slots.

Still haven’t tried it in stereo though…
    Well I've found the answer to a nice modulation (for me) is higher rate, low depth. Also just lost half an hour in the Non-linear mode. It doesn't sound like reverse delay to me, but it does sound very reverby - which is great, because I always wondered about implementing reverb using multiple analog delays.

And it fits on my ampless board - yay!
    Omigod the stereo modes!

Give me a minute to change my kecks...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Keefy said:
    To me the gold standard of analog delays is the DMM, where the modulation sits somewhere between a warm chorus and the pitch movement of a tape echo.
    I agree, how does it compare?
    Keefy said:
    I’m now looking to install it on my ampless pedalboard
    Keefy said:
    Let's see your maples board, I'm intrigued!!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Keefy said:
    To me the gold standard of analog delays is the DMM, where the modulation sits somewhere between a warm chorus and the pitch movement of a tape echo.
    I agree, how does it compare?
    Keefy said:
    I’m now looking to install it on my ampless pedalboard
    Keefy said:
    Let's see your maples board, I'm intrigued!!
    As per this thread:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I've just done 2 gigs on rhythm guitar with Dire Streets (ahem!) through the pedalboard shown in the last-but-one post. I used the first 3 memory slots on the DM-101 to store sounds for specific songs, and in that application it worked brilliantly well, especially with carry-over engaged.

If you just need a delay with memories there are cheaper options, but I wouldn't say the unit's capabilities are being wasted, I've just used a few of its many functions for a particular job. It's coming off the board again so that I can enjoy more self-indulgent stereo fun...
  • Reading this thread with interest - thinking of putting together a small board around one of these and the Boss RV-6 which arrived yesterday. I do love my DM-2W but there is certainly room for something equally great sounding but fuller featured.

Anyone else got one and want to share their thoughts?
  • I'm happy with my DD-6 although I don't really use pedals anymore being a Kemper user. Some have used the DD-3 for over 20 years. Must be a reason why.