Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I'm feeling brave ... building an AmpMaker kit - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I'm feeling brave ... building an AmpMaker kit

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    This build is definitely slow & steady.

At least, I *hope* it's steady (I'm definitely taking my time).

First stage, the main chassis bits, is done.

I would have saved myself a bit of time if I'd taken the protective cover OFF the chassis before I screwed all the screws in place, but I thought I'd leave it on to protect against damage, scratches, etc.  That valve seat on the left was the only real awkward bit.

So with that moved aside, on to the first turret board ..

The only soldering done so far is the bare wire that connects the top 5 and bottom 3 turrets.  Everything else is just placed into position (with legs cut to size apart from the couple of diodes towards the RHS (which are deliberately *not* in the turret holes).

Thought I'd do that rather than start soldering and then realise that something didn't fit, or I'd put a resistor between the wrong turrets, or put a capacitor in the wrong way round.  

All resistors checked in the DMM (again) before placing in position and all capacitors deliberately placed so that the polarity is clear to see.

Would any of the more experienced amp builders do anything differently?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Looks tidy to me, as long as it matches the schematic, values are correct, caps are pointing the right way then I’d be happy with how it looks. It’s always good practice to put any printed values on components facing up and visible. 

I’ve yet to start my P1800, it’s in the box taunting me. I need to fix the 5e3 I made first, and somehow managed to start 5 guitar builds this week
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think I’ve quadruple checked the resistor values now, so they’d better be right!!

elstoof said:
    and somehow managed to start 5 guitar builds this week
    Start them this week, finish them next week.

But 5 ???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    I don’t have any big machines so I book days at a workshop when I need to use bandsaw, thicknesser etc. It made sense to start a bunch at a time to not pay for a whole day, drive down there,  just to thickness one body and cut one neck… starting to doubt that logic now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Got the soldering iron out this morning and did another hour's work on the amp build.

Some of the wires could probably be cut shorter, but I'm wary of finding out that I've soldered them incorrectly and need to move them later, and then find that they're too short.

Also, I need to get better at soldering left-handed.  There's not quite as much access to some of the solder-spots as it appears from the photo!

All good practice and learning for next time ....
    ;)

A couple more bits of soldering to do, then I can test the power stage of the build.

And I think we can say that the Power Stage test is successfully passed.

Capacitors discharged correctly within a minute of power-off too.

Stick the valves in, switch on, and they glow a comforting dim amber
    :+1:

So far, so good ...

Got the main turret board to put together next, then wiring all the front panel controls in.  It takes a while, but then I'm definitely not rushing anything (no need to) and checking everything a few times before cutting/soldering anything in place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Done another hour of soldering this morning, and got the second board done and in place.

Next stage is to wire the valve sockets and front controls into the boards.  That's going to be a lot of wire cutting, tinning and soldering!

I'm deliberately stopping myself from rushing ahead to get it all done, and taking it slowly and checking everything as I go.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Shaping up nicely
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Looking good Tony very neat and tidy :) 
    This took a bit of soldering, and a bit of tweezering to get wires in place, or out of the way of the hot end of the soldering iron!

But, into place they all went eventually.  

I then ticked off every single connection against the diagram in the build guide ... and found one wire that I'd completely missed.  So, it was worth checking.  

Wire added, and it was time to run through all the tests.

I admit to feeling a little nervous, poking around inside a switched on valve amp with my multimeter probes, but I seem to have avoided any nasty accidents.

And also seem to have soldered everything in the right place.  All results, I believe, within acceptable tolerances.

And so .... let's switch the damn thing ON

Yup, it works.
    :+1:
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Really I should also have posted a pic of the grin on my face - but I couldn't capture the grin without also getting the face, so you'll just have to imagine the grin.

It's a BIG GRIN.

Firstly, I am slightly amazed that the thing worked, first time.  I had to do a bit of fault diagnosis (dodgy ground connection) whilst doing the pre power-on tests, and had to add the missed wire mentioned above, but that was minimal, particularly when considering some of the soldering I ended up doing towards the end (it's all easy until you have to wire the turret board into the front panel controls - then it gets a bit tricky).

Secondly, love the amp.  I've got a clean valve amp (FBJ III) which works well with a pedal or two in front of it. 

This needs no pedals to get that sound.  Twin levels of boost, and a "bypass" switch which should really be called the "aural magic" switch because that adds some real grit to the sound.  I've been playing it through an old Marshall 1x12" cab, nothing special AFAIK, and just love the sound.  The power control (LHS) allows you to dial it down to <1w, or let it go all the way up to 5w, without really losing the sound characteristics.

Big thanks go to AmpMaker too.  The kit was complete, nothing missing, and given the number of components in there, that takes some attention to detail.  The build guide was brilliant.  If you're a complete numpty on amp building (like me), just follow the guide and you can put one of these kits together.  I just worked through it, section by section, diagram by diagram, and it worked.  Can't get better than that.

So, if you're thinking about it, stop thinking, click the link https://www.ampmaker.com and get your credit card ready.  If I can build one, anyone can.

The problem I now have is ... "what next".  Really enjoyed the build process and the successful outcome so half of me would love to do another.  But the other half of me says that I don't need another amplifier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Great job Tony - theres no such thing as dont need another amp - just as it is with guitars! 

Its immensly satisfying to play your own built guitar through your own built amp isnt it ?  Especially when both are high quality 

next….? 
    plexi…
    dumble ODS…
    Trainwreck express 
    classic Fenders ….

One of the best amps for ease of build and high sonic return is a Fender Pro 5E5-A i believe.   Simply a marvellous amp   But you either need to be able to play loud, have a great attenuator or install power scaling

What next is build the cabinet  :)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Great job Tony - theres no such thing as dont need another amp - just as it is with guitars.  

Its immensly satisfying to play your own built guitar through your own built amp isnt it ?  Especially when both are high quality 

next….
    plexi…
    dumble ODS…
    Trainwreck….
    classic Fenders ….
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Well done @TTony, looks really tidy. Must be a great satisfaction
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Brilliant and a great result if it works first time out. I 100% am with you on the "bitten by bug" thing. The thing that stopped me was the ever-increasing complexity of the stuff I really want to own and not quite enough time, money or patience to build that stuff. I will definitely have another go at some point though. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    elstoof said:
    What next is build the cabinet  :)
    Yes ... its designed (in my head) and I know where there's some tasty timber for the top. 

Thinking I'll do a standardish 18mm ply bottom & sides with a nice piece on the top.

Going to make a quick temp home for it first, just for some protection when it's moved about, off the workbench.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Definitely headshell next, then matching cab. Then solder up a couple of cables and have a full DIY rig got to be satisfying having made everything you’re playing through!