Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I'm feeling brave ... building an AmpMaker kit - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I'm feeling brave ... building an AmpMaker kit

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
edited August 2023 in Making & Modding
Just ordered one of these
https://www.ampmaker.com/shop/n5x-british-overdrive-amplifier/

I read through the build manual, then read through it again, and then a third time.  It all looks perfectly do-able.  I think.

I'm going to make on of those little light-bulb current testers too though, just as a little bit of extra protection.

I'd looked at these kits a few years ago, but at the time I think he'd taken a break from the business so I couldn't order one.  Then I forgot about amp-building and/or got busy and/or [insert excuse of choice here]. 

Until now.  Just shifted a load of old stuff on eBay and certainly don't need any more guitars, but do fancy a new home-use-only amp.  And I've got a spare Marshall cab here looking for a purpose.

Wish me luck!
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Just realised - I'll have to make a cab for the head to go in too.  

2 projects for the price of 1.  Bargain.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    edited June 2023
    I built the Ampmaker WF55 ages ago, the instructions were superb, I still have to make a cab for it....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Ooh he’s got his P1800 back in stock, very tempted
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    TTony said:
    Just realised - I'll have to make a cab for the head to go in too.  

2 projects for the price of 1.  Bargain.
    I was about to ask this question after I read your first post but you pre-empted it. I've fancied making an amp for a while. I'd probably house it in an already made cab though. There's a few companies do this sort of thing (ie. amp builds and amp cabs or combo cabs). Getting hold of some of the valve options seems to be an issue.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

elstoof said:
    You know you want to @elstoof - better get it ordered before they go out of stock (again)
    ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    I have built an N5X and a P1800, both great amps.
    TTony said:
    elstoof said:
    You know you want to @elstoof - better get it ordered before they go out of stock (again)
    ;)

You know I did ;)

It’ll have to get shoved in a cupboard for a while as I’ve only just finished an amp 2 days ago, with a few cabs still to build for other projects. Got amps coming out of my ears at the moment but sounds like this is the last chance for a P1800
    Would definitely recommend a light bulb limiter, safety first and all that

^^^
    That's my first task @elstoof and I like your practical build  ;)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Enjoy :) Building your own amp is a fabulous thing to do, and I cant give @Modulus_Amps enough credit and thanks for all the help he's given me during my builds.
    A cradle to hold the chassis is quite useful too, along with the bulb limiter
    And if you're not aware of it, RobRobinette's site is a superb resource : 
    https://robrobinette.com/How_To_Build_a_Tube_Amp.htm

Firing it up for the first time is very rewarding, though discovering positive feedback from a 50W Marshall circuit through a 4x12 in an enclosed space? Not so much ;)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Looking forward to the build thread  ;)

I'm quite interested in something like this. It would be good to hear how it works as a home amp also as that's how I'd be using it. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Firing it up for the first time is very rewarding,

When it works first time  =)

When I built my first amp back in 2004 and got it up and running it was the realisation that I could now go build just about any amp I wanted to that was really exciting, only problem was the lack of finances to do so ha ha

Good luck with the build TTony.

@Devil#20 There are still a good number of new production valve options available, it is just the price of them that can be scary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    TTony said:
    ^^^
    The ice-cream tub used affects the tone. 

Viennetta gives a more layered sound, but Kelly's is a lot creamier. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    And Mr FedEx delivered a parcel this morning.

Should be done by lunchtime.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    It's always been the cabinet that put me off building one.
  • normula1 said:
    They will all have resigned by next week anyway
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:
    TTony said:
    ^^^

I was going for the Wall’s of sound 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    elstoof said:
    Sporky said:
    TTony said:
    ^^^

Superb! 
    normula1 said:
    It was actually someone (@slimbert) asking whether I could make a speaker cab that reminded me I'd thought about making an amp, coinciding with having some spare cash, spare time and Ampmaker having the kits available ...

Making a cab for the head should be fun, it won't involve tolex though.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Nice one Tony. I like my P1800 a lot, Barry's instructions were always good but I think he re-did them some time after I got mine so probs even better.
    I didn't find tolex particularly tricky when I made a cab. Though you may be avoiding it for other reasons, of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thread has lain unloved for a couple of months - I received the package of bits, but had some other workshop jobs to clear first, plus I wanted to know that I had some decent spare time, rather than rushing it in spare half-hours.

Today was the grand kit un-packing day!

Ready for action ...

Bits unpacked and sorted

And contents all present and correct (which is always a good start).

I ended up double-checking all the resistors before noticing that the little slip of paper that told me there was a minor spec change in a couple of the components.  D'oh.

Still, the multi-meter has had a good workout today.

So, basically, half way there now ...
    TBH, my electricals knowledge is limited, but a couple of things persuaded me to have a go at this.
    1. Mrs TT encourages the kit-building thing, but isn't quite so supportive of amp buying.  So here's a way of getting a new amp into the house!
    2. I've built some pedals which have - largely - worked, so now know the difference between the main components and am reasonably happy soldering stuff.  The last kit included a surface-mounted chip which was challenging, but done.  There's nothing anything like as delicate in the amp build.
    3. The construction guide is quality.  I read through that a couple of times before placing the order with AmpMaker.  The guide looks to be pretty comprehensive, is clearly laid out with plenty of diagrams.  I reckon I can follow that!
    Time will tell.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Nice one Tony - the great thing about building valve amps is that its a very tactile experience and the kind of circuits and components you work with mean you can teally tweak a lots of things and experiment to your hearts content.  

If you get the bug then i would really recommend getting hold
    of a copy of Aspen Pitmans Tube Amp book.   If uou can get past the Grooves Tubes sales pitch ( which isnt too bad tbh ) the rest of the book is an absolute goodmine of classic amp circuits and Layouts ( especially classic Fenders ) 

i built my first few amps simply by following the Fender layouts in that book 

i really miss the Fender ProAmp circuit I built from the book - it was one of the best amps I have owned, period. 

Next stop a Trainwreck or Dumble ODS build Tony ! 

Good luck with the build - you cant beat playing your own handmade guitars through your own handmade amps 

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    elstoof said:
    Would definitely recommend a light bulb limiter, safety first and all that

Please explain...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    Brill! I missed this when first posted. I really enjoyed the Trinity 5e3 build I did a few years back. Looks like Ampmaker has made some improvements to old designs since I last went on his site, which is great. 

Looking forward to seeing the progress. 

Just don't die - I got just one jolt from mine, ironically when almost finished and installing valves. Not pleasant and that was just through my thumb...! I recall a great mind once said "Electricity is ouchy if you get it up you" - wise words...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited August 2023
    jaymenon said:
    Please explain...
    @jaymenon ;;

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    When your building with valve gear its always worth making a simple discharge line from a couple of decent crockodile clips and a 3-5w 100k or 220k power resistor in between them ( all shrinked and well insulated !) 

use thisnto drain the power capacitors in the filter supply ever time you have had the amp powered up and you next work on it.   Power supply caps can hold a very powerful charge for a long time 

Whatever you do dont work inside a live amp with a guitar that your holding plugged into it -   I would never do that myself (ahem….) 

i always measure the residual voltage on the B+ and make sure its super low/gone before doung any work on the amp. 

edited August 2023
    Here’s a good video on the cap draining process

https://youtu.be/_ATLTizLbDU
  • elstoof said:
    Sporky said:
    TTony said:
    ^^^

If I quote all these ^ together it'll be like a Magnum opus!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter