Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD: The Quest - Lowden vs Martin vs Others... - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD: The Quest - Lowden vs Martin vs Others...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    @Wazmeister   Thanks Warren! Likewise to that amazing Martin, looks absolutely superb and I know it will sound even better.

@WafflesOnHorseback  here is a short clip giving the Charis a quick tickle. Just into the iPad, so not sure how good the sound will be, but hopefully you will get the idea. Will try and do something more interesting when I get chance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ooh very nice! Very clear and warm. Lovely guitar you got there mate. Thanks for showing us it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    Don't want to hear, I was trying to find a way to get to Coda to check this guitar out. But it sounds wonderful and I hope you enjoy every minute of playing it. By odd coincidence I also have a McIlroy.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    @CloudNine just watched the vid, never heard of Charis before. A lovely sound from a lovely guitar. A keeper to enjoy for years to come.
     :) 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    What are the specs (woods)?
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 472
    impressive (the Charis). Never heard of them, but what do i know!

Cheers chaps!
    What are the specs (woods)?
    @thomasross20   it’s Sitka and Fiddleback Mahogany. Which I think is fairly unusual for these, and this sort of Olson SJ style guitar in general. They tend to be Cedar over Rosewood, but I think this combo might offer a bit more versatility, as despite it being definitely a finger style focused guitar, it can definitely be used for strumming. I probably wouldn’t have bought, had it been the Cedar/Rosewood.
    Never tried fiddleback but can't beat sitka + hog imo - has it's own natural syrupy resonance / mid-range growl. A real character to it. The only thing I miss in hog guitars that are non-scalloped is slight dip in bass compared to harder woods. In any case, sounds a winner!
    Pretty sure Fiddleback sounds exactly like any other Mahogany, just looks pretty.

Anyway, I will stop hijacking Waz’s thread with talk of this guitar!!   :)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    CloudNine said:
    Pretty sure Fiddleback sounds exactly like any other Mahogany, just looks pretty.

Anyway, I will stop hijacking Waz’s thread with talk of this guitar!!   :)
    No don't mate ! It's all part of the same journey =)
    I dunno re different types. 

Folk say sapele and hog sound the same but they 100% don't. 

Khaya Vs Honduran Vs Cuban I would love to try one against the other...

• I went through the list systematically, and the models that really stood out were as follows;

i.) Lowden Batch 45 F38

Just looking at that again on the Coda website - the wood on the sides & back of that is a thing of beauty.

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    I have a Lowden O25 cedar & rosewood, also a thing of beauty, sounds fantastic. 
    Each to their own though.
     :) 
  • Soupman said:
    I have a Lowden O25 cedar & rosewood, also a thing of beauty, sounds fantastic. 

Yep, can't disagree there. That is a beauty.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918

I went through the list systematically, and the models that really stood out were as follows;

i.) Lowden Batch 45 F38

Just looking at that again on the Coda website - the wood on the sides & back of that is a thing of beauty.

I did play that one, and it was amazing. It made the final 3 in fact, and was very impressed :)