Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD: The Quest - Lowden vs Martin vs Others... - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD: The Quest - Lowden vs Martin vs Others...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
edited June 2023 in Acoustics
A change in gigging bands, and new opportunities, has led me on an acoustic quest...

Now, I've been building up some funds for a wee while now, and have recently sold a couple of guitars to add to the kitty.

A business opportunity arose, working 3 days in Milton Keynes, which is fortunately only about 50 minutes from the Theatre of Dreams that is Coda Music. 

Now, as some of you may be aware, I've fancied a Lowden for a while. I'm 'naturally' an acoustic player, and have owned several Taylors in the past, a Collings 000 (too tight) and a glorious Atkins The 43. All have been moved on.

I won't lie,  I had a budget of about £6.5k. By any stretch of the imagination, this is a lot of corn. 

I'd tried the Lowdens at GG, but Coda is always my first choice to purchase. Doug and the team offer THE best service there is - before AND after purchase. 

So, on Monday evening, I headed over to Coda... where the new and used stock is vast.

I was really open to any guitar that produced 'that sound in my head'.  Regardless of looks, price, or brand, it had to be really special or else I would leave and continue the quest.

There were two models that really interested me;

i.) Lowden Richard Thompson Singature
ii.) Lowden F50 Ziricote/Driftwood Cedar (used)

Both were exceptional. Well, to be honest, ALL of the guitars at this price point are very very good, as you would expect.

I went through the list systematically, and the models that really stood out were as follows;

i.) Lowden Batch 45 F38

ii.) Martin D41 (used)

iii.) Atkin Essential 000 Pre War

iii.) Charis SJ

iv.) Martin Custom Shop NORTH STREET  OM28 Herringbone

And one other

I settled on 3 which spoke to me, and seemed to align with my 'voice' and playing...

Lowden Batch 45 F38 and Martin D41 and the other one... Both were too blingy to play down at The Chapel House, our local, to be honest...

I found myself after a while, trying to get the Lowden which sounded like the Martin; more bass, a rounder more versatile sound etc.

And the one I settled on was a surprise from my initial thoughts...

A used Martin Custom Shop D28 North Street Herringbone

Built as the pre-war models were, with the forward X bracing and herringbone finish. I've always favoured Adirondack tops (for some reason), and this has one with gorgeous East Indian Rosewood.

It has the chime and throw of the Lowden, with the versatility of the Martin. A gorgeous instrument. 

Funnily enough, as a huge Steve Earle fan, I found out this morning that his one guitar for life is a D28 1937 !

The sound in your head eh ?

Big thanks, as always, to @DougCoda and the team for the usual outstanding service.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 330
    Great experience and looks like a corker of a guitar. Nice one buddy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    monkey42 said:
    Great experience and looks like a corker of a guitar. Nice one buddy
    Thanks Steve :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    Oh wow hngd
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Oh yes, a great choice. 

Red Spruce is a sound and feel all to itself, and if you like that sound and feel nothing else really substitutes for it. It has that extra zing and ultra-lively response. The trick is to control it, and that big dreadnought body is just the ticket. 

Besides, Martins really, really need the herringbone to look right. This one really looks the business.

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 643
    Lovely!! Congrats
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited June 2023
    Mine's got the herringbone, and it's for sale. Martin OM-28 Re-imagined. Suit you, sir. See thread below. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    Oh yes. Nice one. Great feeling when you try out a few & find the one that's for you. Enjoy it !
    Tannin said:
    Oh yes, a great choice. 

Red Spruce is a sound and feel all to itself, and if you like that sound and feel nothing else really substitutes for it. It has that extra zing and ultra-lively response. The trick is to control it, and that big dreadnought body is just the ticket. 

Besides, Martins really, really need the herringbone to look right. This one really looks the business.

Thanks mate ! I agree, naturally, 100 %.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Great score Warren.  How was the Thomas?  Did you get to try it out
    mgaw said:
    Great score Warren.  How was the Thomas?  Did you get to try it out
    Mark, I must admit I forgot in the deluge of great guitars !

The Charis SJ was very impressive though...
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    I think the adi top on dark Martins works well, they're faves of mine that I've tried. 

What was the Atkin like and did you try and Bourgeois or Brook?
    Btw don't suppose you tried the Martin OM18 North Street? Always fancied a trip to Coda. Do they just leave you to it to grab and play?
    Btw don't suppose you tried the Martin OM18 North Street? Always fancied a trip to Coda. Do they just leave you to it to grab and play?
    Yes, I did play that Martin, and it was really really good. Similar voicing, i felt, to mine. Good volume and projection, but that little bit sweeter.

And yes, they let you play, and help where they can. 
    Thanks for the info on both fronts there. 

I really want to try that specific OM18 and also a Bourgeois. 
    One of my heroes… this is a genuine 1935 D28 !!

• I prefer the atmosphere at Coda to guitar guitar. They just give you the guitar to try and leave you alone, whereas in GG, when trying out expensive stuff, they seem to hang over you, which is an awkward distraction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Just need a blue chip pick now
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I prefer the atmosphere at Coda to guitar guitar. They just give you the guitar to try and leave you alone, whereas in GG, when trying out expensive stuff, they seem to hang over you, which is an awkward distraction.
    I agree 100%.

Just having an LR Baggs Anthem fitteD now :)
  • Really enjoyed this write-up. How did the Atkin Essential 000 Pre-War fair in the quest?
    Really enjoyed this write-up. How did the Atkin Essential 000 Pre-War fair in the quest?
    It was very good indeed. I like Atkins anyway, and that one was a beauty, albeit not the sound i was after at the time.

A very balanced 000 sound, and Id really recommend it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Really enjoyed this write-up. How did the Atkin Essential 000 Pre-War fair in the quest?
    It was very good indeed. I like Atkins anyway, and that one was a beauty, albeit not the sound i was after at the time.

A very balanced 000 sound, and Id really recommend it.

Appreciate the info!  :)
    Atkins are amazing
  • mgaw said:
    Just need a blue chip pick now
    I thought the price of them was ridiculous, then I got one. I absolutely love it!
  • Great price for a custom shop like that . 
  • Just wanna thank Wazmeister. I wanted to buy a nice acoustic and had never considered Coda. Very glad I read this thread.

I just usually go to GG. Have to say, I had a most pleasant experience. There is a very good vibe to the shop and it has a wonderful range of guitars. I felt quite relaxed trying them. Goodbye GG! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    @Wazmeister ;
    Was it Coda who had a Charis on sale?
    How much was it? 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    @Wazmeister ;
    How much was it? 
    I bought that very Charis. Made an offer on Reverb. Feel like I stole it. Excellent service from Coda, as ever.

It’s a truly sensational fingerstyle guitar. I have a McIlroy that is no slouch in that department, but this does feels levels above. Have owned lots of high end acoustics, but the more I play this, the more I think it is very different to anything I have had before. The power, clarity and balance is just amazing.
  • CloudNine said:
    @Wazmeister ;
    How much was it? 
    I bought that very Charis. Made an offer on Reverb. Feel like I stole it. Excellent service from Coda, as ever.

It’s a truly sensational fingerstyle guitar. I have a McIlroy that is no slouch in that department, but this does feels levels above. Have owned lots of high end acoustics, but the more I play this, the more I think it is very different to anything I have had before. The power, clarity and balance is just amazing.
    Be great to hear it if you have any clips or anything.
    CloudNine said:
    @Wazmeister ;
    How much was it? 

Steve, you landed an absolute beauty there mate !

It is a stunning instrument, along with all Charis, and Im delighted for you...