Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is there a pick-up that’s actually ok to record yet? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Is there a pick-up that’s actually ok to record yet?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Oh, lord, I forgot. I have the Schertler Dyn-G as well. Hope is so much more powerful than experience.

if anybody fancies anything off that list, keep an eye on the “for sale” section :) :). I’m only actually using the TD, the Tak and the Mooer these days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    shufflebeat said:

Unfortunately there’s no way to design out the laws of physics and bronze/PB don’t react to mag pickups - full stop.
    No, but the steel core does. They work perfectly well - if you've got several of those pickups you already know that, since otherwise the bottom four strings would be silent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jw_H-535jw_H-535 Frets: 9
    The best you’re gonna get is the Maton system. They sell the pickups separately, probably the top of the market at the mo. But as everyone else has said, mic’s mic’s and more mic’s if you want a good sound. 
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 93
    edited June 2023
    ICBM said:
    shufflebeat said:

Unfortunately there’s no way to design out the laws of physics and bronze/PB don’t react to mag pickups - full stop.
    No, but the steel core does. They work perfectly well - if you've got several of those pickups you already know that, since otherwise the bottom four strings would be silent.
    They’re not silent, of course, but they are weedy and phasey, unlike the 1st and 2nd strings that are full bodied and loud.

Baggs suggest *dropping the pole-pieces to balance the strings but there are two problems with that:

- raising strings 3-6 to their most responsive don’t balance out the difference even if pole-pieces 1-2 are completely removed,
    - strings 3-6 sound anaemic with lots of unhelpful resonances, which are now a much more significant part of the overall sound.

The only way I could make the Vanden work on the mandola was to use nickel/steel “electric” ** strings. They actually sounded great acoustically.

* It’s worth noting that the lots of mags (including the Vanden, as far as I’m aware) don’t allow adjustment of pole-pieces.
    ** It’s also worth noting that before the development of bronze strings all acoustic guitars, including many classic sounds, were equipped with nickel/steel strings, so don’t feel obliged to be precious about bronze.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    I would be interested in your findings Bruce…

Ive just got a new acoustic that will need some form of pickup :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    shufflebeat said:

They’re not silent, of course, but they are weedy and phasey, unlike the 1st and 2nd strings that are full bodied and loud.
    I haven't found that a problem with any of the ones I've used, and I'm quite sensitive to weedy thin sounds :).

shufflebeat said:

It’s worth noting that the lots of mags (including the Vanden, as far as I’m aware) don’t allow adjustment of pole-pieces.
    True, but the Fishman Rare Earth - based on the Vanden - sounds fine to me. The output difference for a standard set of bronze strings is fairly consistent, so if it's preset correctly there's really no great need to have them adjustable.

shufflebeat said:

It’s also worth noting that before the development of bronze strings all acoustic guitars, including many classic sounds, were equipped with nickel/steel strings, so don’t feel obliged to be precious about bronze.
    I'm not a fan of nickel, other than on certain types of guitar for specific old-blues type sounds. I much prefer phosphor bronze for normal acoustic.

In fact, even nickel is not as magnetic as steel and the polepieces still need to be staggered - hence the traditional Strat pickup design. The old DeArmond RH-C also has no B pole, and that was designed for nickel strings too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited June 2023
    ICBM said:
    I haven't found that a problem with any of the ones I've used, and I'm quite sensitive to weedy thin sounds .

shufflebeat
     said:

This is a conversation that has been had in instalments in this place and elsewhere and it really comes down to expectations and taste

So - we end up at the same conclusion - again.

Apologies for the clumsy formatting, on my phone.
  • If you have that kind of money to spend and a small format mic is what you want then the DPA is pretty amazing. I don’t have one myself but have done sound for people who do.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I've heard this being used and it sounds amazing:

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/guitar-bass/sound-machine-wood-works.html

Turns a Piezo into a mic'd up sort of sound

Apparently Ed Sheeran used it for his solo Wembley shows

edited June 2023
    roberty said:
    I've heard this being used and it sounds amazing:

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/guitar-bass/sound-machine-wood-works.html

Turns a Piezo into a mic'd up sort of sound
    That’s interesting, I’ve not seen that before.

Does it involve buying a UA interface to make it work, like an iLok?

The official videos look impressive but not significantly different to using a good IR setup, which can be done for free.

Other videos by members of the public sound a bit like the Fishman Aura system (also capable of good results) but with the wrong “image” used.
    Maybe an IR would be better then. I saw it ages ago and it was a new concept to me then. UAD have ported their plugins to run natively ITB you get buy them or subscribe to all of them for a monthly fee
  • Anyone who’s not aware of the current state of the discussion around IRs might like to explore Cuki79’s contribution:

http://acousticir.free.fr/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    So anyway OP … stick an SM57 in front of it and report back as you have one anyway
    Anyone who’s not aware of the current state of the discussion around IRs might like to explore Cuki79’s contribution:

Wow have a wis
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    Anyone who’s not aware of the current state of the discussion around IRs might like to explore Cuki79’s contribution:

I use a bunch of IRs off there on my piezo acoustics and my K&K equipped mandolin.

All free too. 
  • I use a bunch of IRs off there on my piezo acoustics and my K&K equipped mandolin.

All free too. 
    It’ a really nice thing Cuki & JonFields are doing separately but in a coordinated way. I came across their projects at AGF and both of them have been really helpful. I have IRs made  by them for several of my instruments and at least one of them has been included in the database, which makes me feel all communal.

:)
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    @shufflebeat tried to follow that 'acousticir' link but it doesn't seem to work? 
     :s 
  • Soupman said:
    @shufflebeat tried to follow that 'acousticir' link but it doesn't seem to work? 
     :s 
    It’s working for me on an iPhone.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    edited June 2023
    iRig acoustic works like like a charm for quick recording

I recorded this with it:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    jaymenon said:

I recorded this with it:

Sounds lovely.

I’m a fan of the iRig. I have one for the iPad and another for stage work with folkier types. It doesn’t really operate well in a hostile environment but has a very natural sound where conditions permit.

The cable going to the mic is proper spider-web.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 643
    jaymenon said:

I recorded this with it:

Many thanks. Unfortunately the iRig doesn’t fit on the Lowden sound hole. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    brucegill said:
    jaymenon said:

I recorded this with it:

Wow, how thick is the top ?

I like to have it blended with the inbuilt Baggs on my acoustic so part UST and part magnetic,  makes a good combination
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 643
    sev112 said:
    brucegill said:
    jaymenon said:

I recorded this with it:

I like to have it blended with the inbuilt Baggs on my acoustic so part UST and part magnetic,  makes a good combination
    It's about 5mm around the sound hole. They laminate another bit of wood on the inside, I guess to keep that area strong.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 58
    brucegill said:
    sev112 said:
    brucegill said:
    jaymenon said:

I recorded this with it:

It's about 5mm around the sound hole. They laminate another bit of wood on the inside, I guess to keep that area strong.
    My iRig doesn't fit my McNally either, must be an Irish thing to have a thick sound hole.

• Shadow said:
    My iRig doesn't fit my McNally either, must be an Irish thing to have a thick sound hole.

Skating over that thin ice…

Don’t worry too much about the fit. A bit of carefully placed Blu-Tac can hold the mic in place without fitting in the “proper” way.

I have a Crafter and a Takamine that I’ve done some scratch recordings with. It just about fits on one and gets Blu-Tac’d to the other, although I can’t remember which is which.
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 58
    Shadow said:

Skating over that thin ice…

Don’t worry too much about the fit. A bit of carefully placed Blu-Tac can hold the mic in place without fitting in the “proper” way.

I have a Crafter and a Takamine that I’ve done some scratch recordings with. It just about fits on one and gets Blu-Tac’d to the other, although I can’t remember which is which.
    I'm very pleased to say I had to read that back several times to work out what the thin ice was!

Good idea re the Blu-Tac. I'd be worried it might affect the finish so I'll try sticking it just inside the sound hole.
  • Shadow said:

I'm very pleased to say I had to read that back several times to work out what the thin ice was!

Good idea re the Blu-Tac. I'd be worried it might affect the finish so I'll try sticking it just inside the sound hole.
    Apologies, that was intended to be a bit more light-hearted than it ended up. :)

More liberal use of smilies required. :) :)