Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 2022 MARTIN OM-28 RE-IMAGINED - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

2022 MARTIN OM-28 RE-IMAGINED

What's Hot
MellishMellish Frets: 945
As I said recently, giving up playing guitar.

So, I have this. It's as new, plays well, sounds good, and what to do with it?

I thought of a prize draw but got talked out of it. That's fine, they're just thinking of me, and i appreciate it. 
But tt still leaves  me with what to do, and I've come up with this:

£2,400.BUT,names go in the hat, as before. A winner is drawn. They put 
£2k into my bank account." What about the £400 Mellish? " That the winner sends to tFB.

Well, that's it. If you want to go for it, we'll do it in November.

The Guitar would come to you free of scratches, scuffs, dings; it's hardshell case and original receipt.

:) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Are you serious? Really giving up playing? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited May 2023
    ^ the guitar, yes. I'm a better banjo player and that's where my future

lies.

EDIT: but I'll still be here, still chiming in, don't worry ;) 

Wow! And whew! But it seems very sudden. Are you sure you want to sell the OM-28 immediately rather than sitting on it for a reasonable time (12 months, let's say) and then selling if you still feel the same way.

Anyway, the way Martin prices are going, it will be worth £3,400 this time next year. :)

PS: Just as well you are in Blighty. If you were somewhere in Oz I'd be tempted to make you an offer you couldn't refuse. 

PPS: Come to think of it, I said (and meant) the same thing to you about your HD-28!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mate, sudden to you, not to me. 

I've been thinking about this for maybe two years. I'd be at a gig, getting ready. I knew what to do cos I'd done it so many times before. I'd go through the songs, carefully put my guitar in its case and head home. 

But my instrument of choice was a five-string openback banjo. Not bluegrass (too modern) but clawhammer or frailing or bumditty (there's many names for it, old-time being another).

Have you ever done something your heart's not in? With me it was fun at first, then the reason became money, and I felt trapped. Now I want to be free.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited June 2023
    Good Luck with the banjoing about @Mellish! Is that what you started out on?

Its an interesting question isn't it. Why do we favour a particular strand of stringed instrument playing when we have the opportunity to pursue a variety of different branches.

I tried to master the classical instrument when I was 54 and spent several years at it. But I just didn't get there and it all became a bit of a stress. Similarly, and with respect to all the electric players who are clearly in the majority on tFB, I could never find love for electrics and all the gadgets, pedals and amps which accompany them.

I always came back to acoustics. Simple acoustics without electrics. I even love their smell!

Why do we have favourites? Is it because that's what we kicked off on? Is it because it's what we're best at? Is it the shape of an individuals hands or something to do with comfort? No idea. 

For you its obviously banjos which always seem a 'fun' instrument!

(btw £2,400 is a great price for an OM28 Reimagined/Standard. They are different instruments to the OM28 Modern Deluxe which is perceived as being a brighter more 'modern' sound but which is way more expensive. OM28's generally are a candidate for 'best fingerpicker'. I have a 2018 OM28 Reimagined. £2.4K to acquire a 2022 one is a good bargain for a serious player.)
    edited June 2023
    ^ thank you.

No, my first instrument was an acoustic guitar. But my grandad played a banjo that I'd heard all through my childhood. 

I loved that sound but I tried to be different. For 63 years I tried (that's one heck of a prison sentence .) but guitars hasn't worked.

Some will say "Have both". Why? Why keep a guitat you don't want to play anymore? It needs to be played.

Got an alternaative idea? Great, always ready to consider.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    I spent 20+ years spending most of my time on electric and wish I'd stuck to acoustic all that time.
    So I hear you. 
    Still haven't parted with my electrics, though (yet?)
    Mrs M has spoken.

The deal is £2,400, the smaller amount paid to tFB by the winner, so that I just get £2000. The guitar is a bargain. 

Before the draw starts, you'll see pics of the guitar. I'm kindly to be helped there by. @Tanmin. Cheers mate :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Someone here (@Gandalph?) said that my OM-28 may be won by a "serial flipper" 

I have to say that I'd be disappointed. I'd want it to be enjoyed for what it is, not as a means to a quick buck.

Any ideas how I can guard against it? I can't come up with any.

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    Nope. If you are insistent on doing the draw with the donation I’d also insist on sight of the payment to the board before you send it however. You could get someone wiring you the £2k and not bothering with the other payment. Personally I’d just put it up for sale for whatever you want to get for it and sort the donation out yourself. It’s the least amount of hassle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    Mellish said:

I have to say that I'd be disappointed. I'd want it to be enjoyed for what it is, not as a means to a quick buck.

Yay I said that, partly as a ploy to encourage you not to practically give it away. As I said then though ultimately it is your guitar to do with as you please. 
    I don't really have any suggestions as to how you can guard against someone making a few quid out if it. Maybe others will. 
    edited June 2023
    @ditchboy yes, I'd contact Lee (@digitalscream). No guitar until £400 had been received.

The "serial flipper" thing, I don't see a way round that. It's an unavoidable risk you face when selling, it seems to me. 

Well unless you sell it at its value and then there’s nothing in it to flip. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Or sell it to a serial hoarder like @thomasross20. Or me. :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    My hoarding needs to end :lol: 
    ^ blimey. At least wait to see the pics before you back out! 

:scream: 

=) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    When I put this in the draw in November, it will come with bone finish Martin Luxe bridge pins, that's white with red dot inlay.

The original factory bridge pins (plastic) will be in the case's accessory box.

I was tempted to add a StroboClip Peterson tuner, then I thought that would be spoiling you :D
    I’ve just picked one of those up myself. Fantastic bit of kit. 
    Just googled that - looks fancy. 
    Mellish you really love this guitar, think it through. I also don't want a reason to buy yet another lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @ditchboy ; Martin OM-28 Re-imagined? Probably the most comfortable acoustic I've ever played.

This one has low action, making playing way up the board a doddle. 

There's no buzz, even when I dig in, and the intonation is perfect. I've had nothing done, that's just how it came :) 
    edited June 2023
    @thomasross20 ; well, between you and me mate, that's why I'm saying November and not right now.

I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. 

EDIT: At this point I'm 98% sure the draw. Will go ahead. 

Mellish said:
    @ditchboy ; Martin OM-28 Re-imagined? Probably the most comfortable acoustic I've ever played.

This one has low action, making playing way up the board a doddle. 

There's no buzz, even when I dig in, and the intonation is perfect. I've had nothing done, that's just how it came :) 
    I have an OM28 reimagined in sunburst. I was referring to the Peterson. Superb little tool. 
  • ChoivertChoivert Frets: 45
    Mellish said:

You could attempt this by doing two things: 
    Restrict to 'known' fBers. By that I mean something like account is older than X days/months. 
    State - not for sale to a bedroom dealer. 

This may work in that most bedroom dealers on fB are known and so it is plausible you would be able to notice them. Perhaps with admin help. And the first rule precludes them making a new account to get in on the action. 

This is not perfect as it may prevent a new member from getting involved on the draw, perhaps that can be circumnavigated on an individual basis?

It's a lovely guitar and a great thought. How to get it into the hands of the right person is more difficult. It might be easier to replace a lottery by a short application with an 'about me' and you could decide who you'd like to sell it to. 

All these ideas are really just ideas. I've got enough nice acoustics for now, so I won't be entering. I really do hope it ends up in the hands of someone that will appreciate it for years to come. 
    edited June 2023
    @ditchboy ; oh right! Yes the Peterson StroboClip is pretty accurate. I like the. "sweetened" mode. 

I have two. One is all-alloy, the other plastic. The all-alloy is a better build (imo) but the display is dim. They fixed that with the plastic version but build suffers lol. But hey, that's me nit-picking.

edited June 2023
    @Choivert ; I like the "about me" idea.

I also have a list of members I'd be happy to see it go to.....................................

So we'll see how it goes, yeah? 

About me. I’m ditchboy. I already have one but I fancy a spare. Cheers.  =)
    @ditchboy ;

"Are you a serial flipper?"
    "No"
    "OK" 

=) 
    Never made money on a guitar trade in my life. Buy high sell low seems to be my m.o. This sunburst model I have is genuinely the best acoustic I have ever owned so I wouldn’t see myself being involved. I do admire you however Mellish. There are some good people about.