Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Foo Fighters - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Foo Fighters

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
But Here We Are is out on Friday. I'll be in Seattle, which feels appropriate. 

The new tracks heard so far are really good. The Teacher is just out - I'm on a work call so haven't listened yet. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MF6trC529M
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited May 2023
    That's not bad at all. I assume Grohl recorded the drums or did Hawkins have some tracks done before his passing?
    On a side note are any of the Foos from Seattle? They're an LA band no?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    That's not bad at all. I assume Grohl recorded the drums or did Hawkins have some tracks done before his passing?
    It's all Dave apparently. Given the context and vibe of the album I can imagine they'd want a clean slate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Grohl did them. Freese is an interesting choice and very much a good one. But people complaining online that he is too hard and straight. Not enough cowbell on the live version of Rope apparently ha!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Have be only heard Rescued so far and that is stunning, looking forward to hearing some more. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Only Nate Mendel, he's from somewhere in Washington State, if not Seattle itself.  He was in Sunny Day Real Estate before Foo Fighters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm not keen on the Tom Pettyish stuff they've done in the past, this new sounds decent though.

Yes that's true - Nate is from Seattle but the others aren't. But they were born out of the end of grunge, which is 100% a Seattle thing, and compared to Abu Dhabi it's far more appropriate! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    edited May 2023
    It might be because I was surrounded by irritating fuckers at the time banging on about them, but I was never sold on the Foos in their supposed pink period around "Colour and the Shape".

Don't get me wrong I LIKED them, but they were never a favourite.

It's almost like their last few albums they have released themselves a bit creatively, and I like them more.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    It might be because I was surrounded by irritating fuckers at the time banging on about them, but I was never sold on the Foos in their supposed pink period around "Colour and the Shape".

It's almost like their last few albums they have released themselves a bit creatively, and I like them more.
    I was a huge fan of the first 3.5 records, then In Your Honour & Echoes Silence etc got a bit MOR for me. But theyve been less afraid to try new stuff in recent years.

Wasting Light hasn't been beaten since its release imo. One of the best rock records of the decade

Sonic Highways has some good stuff - Congregation is among my favourites from their whole catalogue. 

Concrete & Gold - a bit poppier/shinier sounding but good fun

Medicine at Midnight - trying much harder to do things that don't just sound like another Foo Fighters record. With some success.

Then some of them did a Bee Gees cover record and a proper metal album. Followed by the new one which so far sounds closest to There Is Nothing Left To Lose so far, which is ace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 86
    LPManic said:
    Grohl did them. Freese is an interesting choice and very much a good one. But people complaining online that he is too hard and straight. Not enough cowbell on the live version of Rope apparently ha!
    I once got to watch Freese soundcheck with Sting from right behind his kit podium. If he's playing rock drummer it's only because Grohl wants him to do it... There's always going to be something but I think he's a great choice and hopeful he'll influence the writing a bit going forward.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Philly_Q said:
    Only Nate Mendel, he's from somewhere in Washington State, if not Seattle itself.  He was in Sunny Day Real Estate before Foo Fighters.

Sunny Day Real Estate were a superb band!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    I saw FF at T in the Park middle of the afternoon when they were a Nirvana/Sunny Day Real Estate superband.

Was quite surprised how it all went with William Goldsmith.

I was a huge fan of the first 3.5 records, then In Your Honour & Echoes Silence etc got a bit MOR for me. But theyve been less afraid to try new stuff in recent years.
    Interesting.  I bought the first four (or maybe five) albums, then lost interest because I thought they were getting very samey, writing endless versions of the same two or three songs.  And my impression, based on the few songs I've heard subsequently, was that they'd remained samey.  Maybe I should give them another go.
    edited June 2023
    Philly_Q said:

Interesting.  I bought the first four (or maybe five) albums, then lost interest because I thought they were getting very samey, writing endless versions of the same two or three songs.  And my impression, based on the few songs I've heard subsequently, was that they'd remained samey.  Maybe I should give them another go.
    Obviously YMMV - they haven’t turned to to Sigor Ros or Kraftwerk at any point. But worth a listen if you haven’t at all

and the Sonic Highways & Sound City docs are well worth watching either way, just as a music fan
  • I feel like I am the only one who's not digging this new stuff. I don't get it. I really liked Medicine at Midnight and I can pick at least a couple of tracks off most of their albums but I just don't get these
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    I've had a few listens to the couple of tracks that have been released so far, and they are fine but not outstanding imo, but as my wife* said, 'They sound like a mix-tape of every recent FF song.' That's not a bad thing, obviously, but if these are the best tracks to tease a new album then I'm not expecting too much. I'm glad that they have continued though, I've always enjoyed them.

* our first date was to see either the Foos or the Manics in Cardiff, years ago. They were a week or two apart and I can't remember which one was first. The Manics were excellent, the Foos less so. Their sound quality was dreadful. I've seen them since and they were much better.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    It's typical MOR Dave rock. Which is fine. It's hard though making a 3 guitar band sound good. Too much going on. QOTSA also have this issue.
    Radiohead did alright with 3 guitars at times, same with Mogwai. Iron Maiden are doing ok with it too!
    Radiohead did alright with 3 guitars at times, same with Mogwai. Iron Maiden are doing ok with it too!
    Although there are many, many fans who wouldn't lose any sleep if Janick Gers missed the tour bus one day...  

Presumably it's all about how the three guitars are used.  I'd guess there are rarely three guitars all playing at once, and (in Radiohead and Mogwai, at least) one or more is providing "texture" rather than "a guitar part".

In Foo Fighters, the three guitars are always bashing away on stage but I'd imagine it's different in the studio.  I'd guess Grohl does a lot of the guitars - and everything else - himself, but maybe I'm overestimating his control-freakery.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    Listening to the new album and having a quick browse about it as well. Lyrically, I don't know how Dave does it - honest and straightforward, and having very recently lost my father-in-law, I don't think I'll be playing it around my partner any time soon! According to Wikipedia, not only is the grief in the lyrics around Taylor Hawkins' death, but Dave's mother died last year too. Talk about rough.

Musically, sure, there's nothing new here. But that doesn't stop them being well-written, arranged and produced songs with a heartfelt theme. I'm impressed! 

And when I say well arranged, that's about the songs themselves; whether it's the best use of 3 guitars at all times is another debate!
    Tim
    I am still wondering what the keyboard player does live!
    I am still wondering what the keyboard player does live!
    Additional guitar?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ok, a couple of listens on my flight just now. It’s not their best (FF, TC&TS, TSNLTL, WL) but I think it’s their best for a long time. 

Rest is stunning. I have no idea how Dave will get through that live, if they choose to try it
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Slightly harrowing listen...really enjoyed 'Show Me How' (I hadn't heard any previews).
    Yeah, it’s not easy listening just because the context is unavoidable and so intrinsically connected to the songs. 

Rescued, Under You and Nothing At All are my favourites so far, as well as Rest
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Yeah, it’s not easy listening just because the context is unavoidable and so intrinsically connected to the songs. 

I made the mistake of doing some Google-mining about Taylor at the time ;-/

'Show Me How' was like a bit of respite and reminded me of some 90s indie (Lush, Sundays, MBV?)

I made the mistake of doing some Google-mining about Taylor at the time ;-/

'Show Me How' was like a bit of respite and reminded me of some 90s indie (Lush, Sundays, MBV?)
    Yeah it nails that vibe - it’s Violet Grohl on BVs apparently. Reminds me of the “doo doo doo” bits in Everlong, which is no bad thing 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited June 2023
    ‘The Glass’ reminds me of The Lemonheads. A good thing? Yeah. I’d say so.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I had a listen but I found it pretty mediocre. There aren't any riffs or hooks in anything. It's very competent, but it's all just stuff where you'd take the opportunity to go for a wee during at a gig.

Wasting Light was the last one I really enjoyed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had a listen but I found it pretty mediocre. There aren't any riffs or hooks in anything. It's very competent, but it's all just stuff where you'd take the opportunity to go for a wee during at a gig.

Wasting Light was the last one I really enjoyed.
    Some of what I’ve heard sort of reminds me a lot of the second disc of In Your Honour. I never play that disc for a reason. It’s very depressing I feel. Devoid of riffs and strong hooks like you say.

Wasting Light is one of my faves.

I also really like Sonic Highways. Saw them on that tour. I wasn’t as much into Concrete & Gold, but I loved Medicine... So this album feels like a bit of a nosedive for me. :( 

Understandable, I should say, but when I’m in a dark place myself I don’t want to listen to someone else lamenting on theirs so I’m going to pass up buying this album.