Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). School Me - On Lowden Acoustics.... - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

School Me - On Lowden Acoustics....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    Vinny

If you can find a good recording of Lulo Reinhardt and Yuilia Lanskyana and hear the differences between the guitars then:

Spruce gives a more focused bright tone (Lulo) whereas the cedar gives a warmer tone with more overtones (Yuilia). Personally, I prefer cedar but I wouldn't die in the ditch over it.
    Thanks, Mick,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Well, I finally played some today…

The F Series is the one that seemed most suitable to my style.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Nice! I do like the ethereal Irish sound but that then clashes if trying to do "normal" stuff. That's why I preferred Avalon as felt it was a halfway house but the neck was too chunky. I find Lowden necks a bit too wide. But no denying they're all great guitars and it's good we have the choice. 

The split saddle slightly more difficult to sand down for adjustments for mere mortals lol. 
  • There are some great bargains on the S34 and WL34 at the moment. They’re Koa/Sitka and sound great! If not Lowden there’s also McNally. I have one of Ciaran’s guitars and it is superb. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I had an O22C. Mahogany back and sides, with a red cedar top.

I tried it back to back with an F35, RW back and sides, with a spruce top. I preferred the size of the F but it sounded a lot tighter than the O22.

My O was an amazing sounding thing. Absolutely huge body, which took a bit of getting used to, but it was an amazing guitar.

So many overtones.

Didn't like to be strummed, but fingerpicked, sounded like a chorus of angels.

Really great guitars (and they smell amazing!). Build quality was outstanding.

One of the only guitars I really regret selling.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    I had an O23 I think - walnut and red cedar. Not very good for strumming - too many overtones - and I found the walnut a bit harsh and crispy. Well I attribute that to the walnut but it might just have been the guitar. 

The O body is enormous, have to sit sideways on a sofa with them due to the size of the lower bout. The neck was pretty chunky and I grew to dislike it quite a lot, especially in combination with the fairly small frets.  I was not sorry to see it go and I don’t feel the need for another. It was bloody hard to sell too. It did smell nice though…

They do ring a lot behind the nut so damping there helps a bit if you want to control the overtones. 

Ref the Sheeran models - I always felt the Wee Lowden was an awful sounding box and so I’m not surprised that they aren’t great. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I had an O23 I think - walnut and red cedar. Not very good for strumming - too many overtones - and I found the walnut a bit harsh and crispy. Well I attribute that to the walnut but it might just have been the guitar. 

The O body is enormous, have to sit sideways on a sofa with them due to the size of the lower bout. The neck was pretty chunky and I grew to dislike it quite a lot, especially in combination with the fairly small frets.  I was not sorry to see it go and I don’t feel the need for another. It was bloody hard to sell too. It did smell nice though…

They do ring a lot behind the nut so damping there helps a bit if you want to control the overtones. 

Ref the Sheeran models - I always felt the Wee Lowden was an awful sounding box and so I’m not surprised that they aren’t great. 
    I found the only comfortable way to play mine was perched like a classical, at a 45 degree angle on my knee.

You're right, the neck was quite chunky. Not something I like in a guitar, but I got used to it.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• westwest Frets: 974
    @Wazmeister ; late to this thread ,  if you ever fancy a twang on my F35c koa back sides spruce top give us a shout im only round the corner ... ;)  
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    west said:
    @Wazmeister ; late to this thread ,  if you ever fancy a twang on my F35c koa back sides spruce top give us a shout im only round the corner ... ;)  
    Hiya mate, thanks for that !

Alas, the quest is over for a wee while ;)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/249111/ngd-the-quest-lowden-vs-martin-vs-others#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • westwest Frets: 974
    No probs ... congrats on the purchase ! ... ;)