Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). School Me - On Lowden Acoustics.... - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

School Me - On Lowden Acoustics....

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
Fresh and exciting rabbit hole... replace whatever the last one was...

I've played a few Lowdens previously, and really like them.

I'm not sure of the line-up of the models though :)

I do fancy a nice one, and the Richard Thompson model seems great.

Appreciate all your input :)

Waz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    Fresh and exciting rabbit hole... replace whatever the last one was...

I've played a few Lowdens previously, and really like them.

I'm not sure of the line-up of the models though :)

Appreciate all your input :)

Waz
    The 10/23/32 series are excellent. Above that and you are paying for specialty timbers and trim. Tonally, it’s all there in the ‘lower’ range, that is, if you can call a £3k guitar lower range. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited May 2023
    aesthetically not my cup of char,  only ever played 1  and that wasnt my cup of char either,  I prefer the more classic "american" OM type  (says he with a Brook !!   but that's on its way out the door TBH)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    For the 'classic' Lowden experience, I think you need an 'O' model...it's a large beast, so consider a b£vel.

I bought a snazzy F50 once (saw it pass through the forum last year) but always had some remorse about not getting a slightly plainer walnut/cedar 'O' instead.

I'm not a big fan of extras like cutaways and electronics but I guess that depends on your budget and what you want out of the instrument.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380

I played a few Lowdens over the years and they are sublime guitars but do not suit my way of playing.  The Richard Thompson was the only I didn't like, the combination of woods wasn't a great one IMO for my playing anyway, but it could work better for someone else. 

IMO, for a cedar soundboard, I find walnut to be one of the best back and side sets but YMMV.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    >IMO, for a cedar soundboard, I find walnut to be one of the best back and side sets but YMMV.

Cedar on Hog works well,  Im wondering then,  is Walnut very "mahogany like" 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    bertie said:
    >IMO, for a cedar soundboard, I find walnut to be one of the best back and side sets but YMMV.

I had a Taylor W65 12 string, which was English walnut, and warm and glorious.

I do know I like Adirondack (spelling ?) for some reason.

I have been impressed with the Martin re imagined too
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Walnut has a thundering bass but I felt it missed the mahogany "sparkle." But that bass...
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    bertie said:

Walnut is kind of like Mahogany, quite crisp sounding like mahogany but walnut has a touch more bass and treble.  I find rosewood backs can get a bit dark with a cedar soundboard, but walnut works beautifully with cedar. 

For Irish voiced guitars like Lowden, the ones I like the most are often the Cedar/Walnut ones.  Not entirely sure but those woods and their bracing work beautifully.

I'm not the biggest fan of bigger bodied acoustics but for Lowdens, the O size is my favourite

A lovely warm and balanced sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    There you go: instant Carl Miner! 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    I have a Lowden O25, cedar top rosewood back & sides. As has been stated above it's not a parlour sized guitar.....  :)
    I tried a few different models over a few weeks but when I got my grubby mitts on this O25 I knew after a couple of minutes that it was going home with me. That was over 20 years ago.
     It sounds amazing every time I pick it up and I have never suffered from GAS since. I know there are other good guitars out there and that different instruments suit different people/styles and each to their own.

45mm nut, 645mm scale length, probably better suited to finger style rather than heavy strumming.
    Good hunting & hope you get whatever you're looking for!
     ;) 
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Although it doesn't get played nearly enough (and definitely not well enough) I'm very taken with the F35 Lutz Spruce and Bog Oak I acquired from this parish courtesy of @brucegill ... must play it some more.  The Ameritage case is built like a fortress and weighs about the same as an ocean liner mind you (which is one of the reasons I don't travel with it!).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Tried.Lowdens in GG when I bought my Martin OM28 Re-imagined.

Not for me. Good guitars no doubt but not the sound I want. 

:) 

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 643
    Benm39 said:
    Although it doesn't get played nearly enough (and definitely not well enough) I'm very taken with the F35 Lutz Spruce and Bog Oak I acquired from this parish courtesy of @brucegill ... must play it some more.  The Ameritage case is built like a fortress and weighs about the same as an ocean liner mind you (which is one of the reasons I don't travel with it!).
    It’s still missed very much….
  • woodywoody Frets: 72
    I prefer the 0 size lowdens,never played an f that really hit the mark for me.If the f is size you want,id consider a mcilroy a series.For me they have that something that lowden lacks, they are cheaper,and they are a true small scale builder,i think they build 12 a month,but dont hold me to that..Lowden seem to be churning them out at a massive rate at mo..Dermot plays a part in every mcilroy that is produced i believe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks for all the input guys.... I'm going to be trying and playing some hopefully very soon.
    This could provoke a bit of a sale !
  • I think the higher end models are overpriced. 
    I think the higher end models are overpriced. 
    I think all high end stuff is overpriced now !
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 213
    Have you seen the Avalon L32 in Acoustics£.  Big guitar and should be the usual Avalon quality but the neck is quite chunky - I like it but I've big hands.

Would solve the price problem - really good value.
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 162
    I have an O25 FS ;-)
    I have an O25 FS ;-)
    Whats your thoughts on your Lowden Rob ?
    Have you seen the Avalon L32 in Acoustics£.  Big guitar and should be the usual Avalon quality but the neck is quite chunky - I like it but I've big hands.

How do people rate Avalon vs Lowden ?
  • woodywoody Frets: 72
    I prefer lowden over avalon,there isnt much in it tbh, and here in ireland s/h Avalons regularly come up.for about 50% of the price of the equivalent lowdens

edited May 2023
    I've only tried Lowdens in shops and I found they had a "gossamer" like sheen to the tone. However that may have been the environment or strings.

I love Avalons. I have 2 auditorium models each with walnut B&S. One spruce top and the other cedar topped. They both have a strong focused tone that is very even across the strings. Good for strumming or single note work. I'd assume they'd also be good finger style but I haven't tested that as my finger nails are appallingly thin.

£ for £ Avalons are better value in my view but that's a matter of taste. I don't think you can go wrong with an Avalon but then I'm biased.
  • VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    I have a Lowden O32c and three Avalons. Nothing between them tone wise - different, but neither better than the other. Both have rich overtones.I find the Avalon neck profile is more playable for me. Much better value in Avalon, but Lowden better resale value.
  • VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    edited May 2023
    I've only tried Lowdens in shops and I found they had a "gossamer" like sheen to the tone. However that may have been the environment or stings.

I love Avalons. I have 2 auditorium models each with walnut B&S. One spruce to and the other cedar tops. They both have a strong focused tome that is very even across the strings. Good for strumming or single note work. I'd assume they'd also be good finger style but I haven't tested that as my finger nails are appallingly thin.

£ for £ Avalons are better value in my view but that's a matter of taste. I don't think you can go wrong with an Avalon but then I'm biased.
    Hi @TheMadMick . I’ve a walnut shaped hole in my Avalon stable. How would you compare the cedar vs spruce? And have you tried the McIlroy a25 for comparison?
  • Have you seen the Avalon L32 in Acoustics£.  Big guitar and should be the usual Avalon quality but the neck is quite chunky - I like it but I've big hands.

How do people rate Avalon vs Lowden ?
    Honestly,  there's very little difference between the modern  Avalons and Lowdens. I don't know about the older models but if you were in a shop with several new models of each brand, I doubt if you could tell them apart.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    As someone who couldnt  spend 3k on a guitar these days I thought I'd try the sheeran, had 2 and both went back.
    Looked great but honestly the worst playing acoustics I have ever played. 

Never again 
    edited May 2023
    Vinny

If you can find a good recording of Lulo Reinhardt and Yuilia Lanskyana and hear the differences between the guitars then:

Spruce gives a more focused bright tone (Lulo) whereas the cedar gives a warmer tone with more overtones (Yuilia). Personally, I prefer cedar but I wouldn't die in the ditch over it.
  • As someone who couldnt  spend 3k on a guitar these days I thought I'd try the sheeran, had 2 and both went back.

Never again 
    I agree completely,  I don't know how anyone ever thought they were a good idea.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
     Strangefan said:
    As someone who couldnt  spend 3k on a guitar these days I thought I'd try the sheeran, had 2 and both went back.

Never again 
    I tried just one, a while back now when they first came out, and while I wouldn't have used the phrase "worst playing" it was memorably unmemorable. At half the grossly inflated price I would have said "Yeah naah. Reasonably OK but let's look for something better." At the actual asking price I thought they were insane. 

And I was right. Various shops all over the country got them in, and they sat there and sat there and sat there, the last of them eventually being heavily discounted a year or more later to get rid of the damn things. Someone in my village had one listed on Facebook for sale second-hand a while back, and was very sensibly asking not much for it. I was a little tempted to go and see her just to sample one again but the reality was that was never going to buy it so I didn't. 

(Hmmm ... come to think of it, another chap nearby recently had a Maton 808 with a cedar top advertised at a decent price and I didn't go and see him just to have a look sat it because the reality was that I was always going to buy it so I didn't. Makes sense to me.)

Actual Lowdens are of course a different thing. They are rare here in Oz and very expensive. The Acoustic Centre in Melbourne (700 kilometres north of here) always has a few in stock alongside their many, many other guitars. One of these days I'll pop over and try a couple out. They usually sound good on You-tube though possibly a little lush for my playing style. But an iconic brand, I must go there one day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter