Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Removing Smoke Smell/Colouring - Help *UPDATE* - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Removing Smoke Smell/Colouring - Help *UPDATE*

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Some activated charcoal?

Turn it into a bong? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited May 2023
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    I bought a nice acoustic a few years back that stank

I got rid of the smell over a year.

Firstly: the padded case - easier, open it and put in somewhere hot. In the sun, on a radiator, etc.
    I used to use this technique with smoke-impregnated jackets before the smoking ban in clubs. Also spray it with febreeze or whatever, or just some nice EDP

Secondly: the guitar was much harder, all you can really do is just keeping it out of the case, spray a bit of EDP inside it, clean it with decent guitar cleaner, properly clean and condition the fretboard 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 597

Firstly: the padded case - easier, open it and put in somewhere hot. In the sun, on a radiator, etc.
    I used to use this technique with smoke-impregnated jackets before the smoking ban in clubs. Also spray it with febreeze or whatever, or just some nice EDP

Secondly: the guitar was much harder, all you can really do is just keeping it out of the case, spray a bit of EDP inside it, clean it with decent guitar cleaner, properly clean and condition the fretboard 
    What is EDP?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I think it may have replaced DDT?  ;)
    Eau de Poilette?
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    Some activated charcoal?

Turn it into a bong? 

I tried two bags of that in the guitar in the case, sadly no effect whatsoever.
    tomjax said:
    Some activated charcoal?

Turn it into a bong? 

try that ozone thing I posted
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    bertie said:
    tomjax said:
    Some activated charcoal?

Turn it into a bong? 

try that ozone thing I posted

Nope, I'm already sorted - cedar shavings!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    I found lighter fluid worked well on a recent bass overhaul. The bass smelt strongly of skunk and tobacco and felt tacky to touch. I applied a small amount of lighter fluid to a cloth and worked over the body and parts (used cotton buds for smaller parts like bridge and saddles). After all the tar had been removed I followed up with Gibson guitar polish for the body and F One oil for fretboard. Worked very well and took the bad odours away completely. An acoustic will likely be more challenging as the interior is raw wood that will soak up the tar but cleaning the exterior will be a big improvement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I’m waiting on a delivery of cedar chips to store inside the guitar, and have bought the Dunlop guitar cleaning kit to try and cover all bases for cleaning and see how it goes from there.

If after that it still smells, I’ll try some lighter fluid and a blow torch…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I’m waiting on a delivery of cedar chips to store inside the guitar, and have bought the Dunlop guitar cleaning kit to try and cover all bases for cleaning and see how it goes from there.

If after that it still smells, I’ll try some lighter fluid and a blow torch…
    Good luck. Tobacco smoke and stains are some of the most horrible smells on the planet. I can happily breathe in a herd of cow shite than endure the smell(and unavoidable taste!) of second hand tobacco smoke.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438

What is EDP?
    Eau de parfum
    or try Eau de toilette.

Basically decent quality perfume
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397

What is EDP?
    Eau de parfum
    or try Eau de toilette.

Basically decent quality perfume
    I am an Old Spice man(not really!) Mind you,if you use that its smell will leave the tobacco smell as a distant memory although I think I'd prefer the tobacco smoke!

So I finally had a go at cleaning the guitar
    tonight. I didn’t manage to get some
    of the bleach wipes but decided just to use the wipes I had, hot water and the Dunlop cleaners.

Managed to give it a good clean and it wasn’t an actually as bad as I first thought. Everything was going well until I was almost finished and decided to try the EDT suggestion to add some
    extra fragrance, but unfortunately this has clung to the finish and I’ve not been able to remove it from the headstock, as the pictures show. 

Can anyone now suggest what I can use to clean this off? None of the stuff I had managed to remove any of it. I obviously don’t want to damage the finish.

Im going to leave the strings off tonight in the hope I can get some suggestions, but obviously want to get it restrung ASAP
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited June 2023
    Lighter fluid (naphtha).

If that doesn't work a light abrasive polish like mequires or t-cut, not a "guitar" polish with silicone or shite.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited June 2023
    I assume EDT means Eau de Toilette [correction Parfum]?  That contains alcohol and oils that can soften and damage lacquer.  Personally I would leave the guitar for a few days in case it has softenened the lacquer.  If you start rubbing softened lacquer with even fine abrasives like T-Cut it usually just makes more of a mess and starts rubbing off into tiny balls/rolls, like you get when trying to sand badly mixed and improperly cured 2-part epoxy with fine wet & dry paper.  The surface needs to be hard before you try and buff it with an abrasive cream.
    BillDL said:
    I assume EDT means Eau de Toilette?  That contains alcohol and oils that can soften and damage lacquer.   .
    that's my first thoughts,  its "reacted" with the finish rather than left residue.  
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited June 2023
    Lighter fluid and/or Virtuoso  cleaner.

If you can't find the latter, shoot me a PM.

EDIT: Ah, didn't read above comments. And there's something else I should've mentioned: Virtuoso on Nitro only. 

Mellish said:
    Lighter fluid and/or Virtuoso  cleaner.

If you can't find the latter, shoot me a PM.

EDIT: Ah, didn't read above comments. And there's something else I should've mentioned: Virtuoso on Nitro only. 

I think I found the virtuoso cleaner when I checked recently.

Dumb question - how did I know if it’s a nitro finish?

Im guessing this shouldn’t be used on the headstock then?
    It depends what finish the headstock has. Is it satin? It doesn't look it to me but it's difficult to be sure. Check out the factory specs.

:) 
    The body has a Nitro finish. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the headstock front does, too.

If that's the case case, Virtuoso Cleaner will be safe to use there but keep it away from satin or raw wood.

If you have difficulty finding it, you can get it from The Guitar Repair Workshop, Salford. 

If you do buy Virtuoso Cleaner, it's a good idea to get Virtuoso Polish, too, to restore the shine after you're done.

• RioRio Frets: 2
    I've owned two guitars with this problem and was never able to get rid of the smell. One was stolen (end of problem), and I wound up selling the other after months of elbow grease and cleaner.

Rio