Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Removing Smoke Smell/Colouring - Help *UPDATE* - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Removing Smoke Smell/Colouring - Help *UPDATE*

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 597
edited June 2023 in Acoustics
I recently bought a Gibson J45 Custom from my Dad who’s a smoker, and the guitar smells really bad and has discoloured too, as you can see from the photo below of the pins and saddle

Is there anyway to remove that smoke smell from these parts? I’m not fussy about the look, I like older looking guitars, but I really want to get rid of as much of the smell as I can. 

I know I could just replace them, but I’d like to try and keep it original as much as I can

Any recommendations on the best way to tackle these, and the rest of the guitar would be greatly appreciated (what’s the best way to clean gold hardware without damaging it?)

It’s a cracking guitar and want to get playing it ASAP.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    It'll not come off easy. You could take the bridge and pins out and give them a scrub to start.
    Just a bit of elbow grease. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited May 2023
    This is not the same thing but I removed a.black,forearm sweat stain from a Martin top with naphtha and Virtuoso Cleaner. Man, we're talking elbow grease and plenty of it!

In this case  I'm not sure.That discolouring may have gone into the bone? @ICBM. ;

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    If the discolouration doesn't wash off with something like kitchen/bathroom degreaser spray containg mild bleach, then I wouldn't bother trying anything else.  Bone is porous, so you don't really want to leave it steeping in water.

As to the smell that's impregnated the guitar, I would be tempted to get one of those gel-type air fresheners in a "woody" fragrance like cedar, or the "wintery" fragranced ones that smell like cinnamon and nutmeg, and leave it sitting inside the guitar body (guitar on its back) with the soundhole covered with a bit of cloth.  There is nothing I know of that is emitted into the air by those gel air fresheners that would affect glue or anything inside the body.  Even some fragranced potpourie made from wood shavings and dried flower heads and orange slices might give off enough pleasant fragrance if you put it in a bowl inside the body.

Some scented fretboard cleaner/conditioner like Dunlop's Lemon Oil should cover the tobacco smell on the wooden bridge and darken it nicely.  For the lacquered body I would try what @Mellish has suggested.  Naptha-based lighter fluid (the liquid for Zippo type lighters) is usually quite safe with most lacquer finishes, but it would be very wise to test it out with a soft cotton cloth on a small area in the least conspicuous place you can find.  It evaporates very quickly, so you could go through a fair amount of it.

Cleaning gold hardware?  Not sure.  I would certainly just try a soft cloth slightly dampened with water and maybe a drop of washing up liquid to help remove the stickiness of accumulated tobacco tar.  I MAY also be tempted to try a soft cloth slightly dampened with WD-40 if the other methods didn't work, but perhaps hold on with this and see if any experts give any contra-indications of WD-40 for this.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    I would start by leaving it near an open window for a couple of days to get rid of the worst of the smell, then follow above tips from people who know much more than me.
    Makes you think though, if it's done that to a guitar, what state are his lungs going to be in......  :o

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Is there a case that is similarly afflicted? That will also have to be sorted out.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 597
    Is there a case that is similarly afflicted? That will also have to be sorted out.
    Yes, unfortunately. However this was kept in the bedroom where there was no smoking taking place so it’s not quite as bad.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Yes, unfortunately. However this was kept in the bedroom where there was no smoking taking place so it’s not quite as bad.
    I used to smoke in the house, but I restricted it to the spare room with the door closed and usually had the window open next to where I sat at the computer.  When I redecorated and no longer smoked I had to shampoo the carpets throughout the entire house, launder every bit of clothing stored in the other room, wash curtains, and bin things like lampshades.  The smell of smoke clings to and permeates every surface throughout the whole house and impregnates even hard surfaces like gloss paint.  Even after using sugar soap on all hard surfaces, then repainting walls, ceilings, doors, etc, there are certain things from which I can still smell stale smoke residue from even after over 10 years, and those items can't be scrubbed.  I still have a softshell guitar case that lived in the room where I smoked and has the stale smoke smell on it and from the guitar inside it. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    I bought a guitar like this a few years ago too. Tried all sorts to get rid of the smell inside the guitar. In the end, what worked for me was getting a large bag of planed cedar wood shavings from a local guitar builder and leaving them inside the guitar for a few weeks. They rustled around, but eventually the guitar smelled fresh and woody again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Did your Dad misunderstand when you asked for a Tobacco Burst guitar?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Fabreeze.

Used lightly, this was desined to Remove and change the molecules 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I've found sunlight is the best for smells. This is the best time of year for that - leave it in a sheltered sunny spot during the day. Bicarbonate of Soda sprinkled on the item helps too (like you would with shake and vac). To outcompete / absorb the smells, coffee seeds  /grounds or fragrant woodchips may help too. These would go iin the case, or maybe the soundhole. I've never tried rubbing it into the finish - do report back if you fancy doing this (please don't do this)

For stains on hard surfaces, try flash wipes. These do contain bleach but are more effective than anything else I've tried for a wipedown to remove yellow residue from cases, cables, amps, tuning pegs, pickguards etc.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    Back in the day I sinned with tobacco and the stench of stale ciggy smoke stayed in the leather guitar straps to this day (more than a dozen years since I quit. The guitars got washed with dish soap and water carefully then naphtha and guitar cleaner, the case had some fabreez and left open outdoors On a couple of nice dry days. The strap serves to remind me of twatish times but as straps go they are both very comfortable leather.

Fabreeze. This is what is designed to do.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Baking soda absorbs smells. A little bowl or open tub of it in the closed case with the guitar will likely improve things. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I found baking soda did very little, even after regular refreshing and trying it for several weeks. But the cedar wood shavings totally transformed the smell.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    Ignore all the above. You won't get rid of the smell if it's got into the pores of the wood, which is will have done. If ever I buy a second hand guitar I ask if it's from a smoke-free home first. If it isn't I won't buy it. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Devil#20 said:
    Ignore all the above. You won't get rid of the smell if it's got into the pores of the wood, which is will have done. If ever I buy a second hand guitar I ask if it's from a smoke-free home first. If it isn't I won't buy it. 

Seriously, give the wood shavings a go. The smoke smell on my guitar was as bad inside the body as out, and I had got to the point of deciding to sell it as I couldn't stand the smell. After the cedar shavings treatment, it smells fresh and woody, again and no trace of the smoke. It was a last ditch effort for me after trying baking soda, Fabreze and other options.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    tomjax said:
    Devil#20 said:

Seriously, give the wood shavings a go. The smoke smell on my guitar was as bad inside the body as out, and I had got to the point of deciding to sell it as I couldn't stand the smell. After the cedar shavings treatment, it smells fresh and woody, again and no trace of the smoke. It was a last ditch effort for me after trying baking soda, Fabreze and other options.
    I'm sorry mate I didn't see that post but if that worked then I stand corrected. In the past when I've tried to get rid of a smoke smell on something with various other smells they just end up added to the smoke smell which makes for an altogether worse smell (a combination of fresh smell along with smoke is truly awful). Wish I'd known about your solution previously. It's a good one to know about. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

edited May 2023
    I don't know if it's just cedar shavings that work, but it's quite an oily wood so it may be more effective.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Simply light up a Woodbine 20 or so times a day. After a week or so you won't even notice the smell.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tomjax said:
    Devil#20 said:

Thats a great idea.
    tomjax said:
    I don't know if it's just cedar shavings that work, but it's quite an oily wood so it may be more effective.
    I’m looking into it. 

Should I be looking at getting a bag like this and just dumping the chips directly into the sound hole?

Or maybe these, that are contained and will make less mess?

Also, it’s an electric acoustic, so is there any chance of damaging the electronics inside the guitar?
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    edited May 2023
    Don't think your Kellogg's bran flakes will do much for it 
    I like the look of the muslin bags. If they're small enough bags (no visual scale reference) you could lower them in & leave for a few days, re-insert if necessary.
    When used you could fire up your log burner with them.  Or the guitar if they don't work....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I've no idea how to tackle this (never had to), but a quick fix? I'd be
    surprised if there is one. I think at best you're looking at weeks.

Sorry about that. 
    Mellish said:
    I've no idea how to tackle this (never had to), but a quick fix? I'd be
    surprised if there is one. I think at best you're looking at weeks.

Sorry about that. 
    I’m not in a rush, I am aware it will probably take a wee while.

Soupman said:
    Don't think your Kellogg's bran flakes will do much for it 
    I like the look of the muslin bags. If they're small enough bags (no visual scale reference) you could lower them in & leave for a few days, re-insert if necessary.
    When used you could fire up your log burner with them.  Or the guitar if they don't work....

I meant to post the dimensions - they are 10cm long, about 5cm wide so should fit nicely in the sound hole. If not I could just take some out of the bags so they are not so full
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited May 2023
    not sure of the "drying" effect on the guitar - but those mini ozone generators you use to clear stinky smells in the fridge can be used for other things (cars  etc)  and are "promoted" for getting rid of smoky smells amongst others

We've got one in the fridge, and have to say - its bloody fantastic
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    bertie said:
    not sure of the "drying" effect on the guitar - but those mini ozone generators you use to clear stinky smells in the fridge can be used for other things (cars  etc)  and are "promoted" for getting rid of smoky smells amongst others

Why are you smoking in your fridge?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    drofluf said:
    bertie said:

He's related to Boris Johnson?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    drofluf said:
    bertie said:

so the Mrs doesnt catch me
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter