Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). RATM did it better than RHCP - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

RATM did it better than RHCP

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    If you want funk rock then Stevie Salas is amazing.

”Tell your story walking” is a good taster. Brilliant rhythm section too.
    I've got the first Stevie Salas Colorcode album.  It's one of those records with certain tracks I can't stand, but the good stuff is really great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    For me, RATM weren't even playing the same game as RHCP. 

They were streets ahead in everything they did, other than create funk pop sing-a-long hits. Saying that, not sure RHCP ever got a UK #1.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Other than coming from LA and consisting of guitar, bass, drums and a front man, they're fundamentally different bands.  And I enjoy them both (or at least RHCP up to the end of One Hot Minute, lost the funk a bit after that).

RHCP is funk rock with melodic elements.  RATM is rap metal, and arguable invented the genre.  

However, none of them did it as well as Weird Al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDRVaLcOc0o 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Incubus were incredle...Morning View was a masterpiece
    I’m glad someone else thinks so. It’s my favourite of theirs by far.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    RATM have a good shout for really "inventing" or rather launching the genre - all previous attempts had been some sort of hybrid, with various results - RATM seemed like an actual synthesis. Shout out to the best efforts from Anthrax / Public Enemy, Bodycount, Beasties and most of all FNM. The Prodigy had a go with the Fat of the Land  later. Also mustn't forget PIL and Bad Brains from even earlier.

Was it Reading 96 that RATM had the Beastie Boys on for a couple of tracks? It was spooky how visible the lineage was.

It is the way of the world for copycats and counterfeitters to ensure that we can't have nice things - so a genre 10 years in the making got absorbed into Nu Metal with some ups and many, many downs. We got Outkast after that though, and NERD was not as good as they thought but it was another attampt at a hybrid crossover.

Regarding the stagnation of the message since 2000ish, economically we are still very much on that road, the wars on terror and then the more recent American lunacy has kept attention away from the sort of corporate reform and social justice RATM advocated. Not much has been addressed since then.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Does anything with talking in rhymes count?

Deadman said:
    I haven't listened to any Incubus albums for many years, but as I remember it I really loved Make Yourself and went back and got the earlier stuff.  When Morning View came out I thought the songs were really good but I was a bit disappointed that it was more mellow.  And then I absolutely hated A Crow Left of the Murder... and gave up on them.
    Philly_Q said:
    Deadman said:
    I haven't listened to any Incubus albums for many years, but as I remember it I really loved Make Yourself and went back and got the earlier stuff.  When Morning View came out I thought the songs were really good but I was a bit disappointed that it was more mellow.  And then I absolutely hated A Crow Left of the Murder... and gave up on them.
    I listened to A crow left of the murder a lot and grew quite fond of it. It’s not a patch on MV though. Make yourself is fantastic, I have the deluxe version with the additional acoustic tracks that are just incredible.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 653
    I saw Incubus in Birmingham last year.
    I came back with Covid.
    Great times.

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    SidNewton said:
    I saw Incubus in Birmingham last year.
    I came back with Covid.
    Great times.

You could say it incubated inside you.

Please tell me that you took a bus there, and maybe had to wait in a queue for it?

I'm here all night, try the vegan sausage...
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649

This Incubus is my fave but the English and Brazilian/Americans are great too. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I love the RHCP and FNM but they're not really the same and neither are the other bands mentioned.

I probably listen to FNM and John frusciante more. 
    If you want rap/metal crossovers, they were generally better done by hardcore bands. 

Downset were pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I love the RHCP and FNM but they're not really the same and neither are the other bands mentioned.

I probably listen to FNM and John frusciante more. 
    I spent about 2-3 years with Niandra Lades being my main listening source after JF left. Mastered Mascara on the acoustic as well as loving to dabble with all the other tracks and hankering after a Maton, which never happened, and I’m not arsed now. I still love it, it’ll always have a special place in my brain jukebox but it doesn’t get played as regularly nowadays. All the untitled stuff in particular felt so gritty, underground and rare at the time. In fact the cd was actually very rare on first release. I managed to get a copy and sold it for stupid money on eBay and just bought the re-release afterwards. I’d also forgotten how good it used to be on the chase for merch back in the day.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    All 3 bands have one amazing album.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    much prefer DHCP,  never fail to deliver
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    All three?  Is that RATM, RHCP and FNM?
  • All 3 bands have one amazing album.
    RATM, Bloodsexsugarmagic and Angel Dust? 
    Deadman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Deadman said:
    I listened to A crow left of the murder a lot and grew quite fond of it. It’s not a patch on MV though. Make yourself is fantastic, I have the deluxe version with the additional acoustic tracks that are just incredible.
    I've listened to both Make Yourself and Morning View today, for the first time in god knows how long.  I was surprised how little I remembered and, to be honest, apart from a few songs I really didn't enjoy them very much.  I don't know if that's because they've aged badly... more likely it's just that my tastes have changed.  :/
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Faith No More's 'Angel Dust' is an all-time classic album, as is RHCP's 'By The Way'.  Not a duffer on either and both still get heavy rotation Chez Offset.  Oddly never got into RATM although they're appearing at a fest near us this summer so may check 'em out.

Aerosmith/Run DMC's cut of 'Walk This Way' is still the best rock/hip-hop crossover track.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1681
    Look at all of us in our early 40's still listening to the music that defined us as teenagers.

It genuinely was better back then...........

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    gubble said:
    Look at all of us in our early 40's still listening to the music that defined us as teenagers.

It wasn't.

It's just inextricably linked to teenage development, first beers and first feel-ups behind the bike shed.
    gubble said:

Yeah, here I am in my early 40s (cough), still listening to stuff I bought when I was thirty five a teenager....  :#

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    gubble said:

it was a great time for music, but also the time of RHCP. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    edited May 2023
    Reverend said:

Downset were pretty good.

Wisdom applied
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Philly_Q said:
    Deadman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Deadman said:
    I've listened to both Make Yourself and Morning View today, for the first time in god knows how long.  I was surprised how little I remembered and, to be honest, apart from a few songs I really didn't enjoy them very much.  I don't know if that's because they've aged badly... more likely it's just that my tastes have changed.  :/
    I suspect it's the latter. Both albums are very well produced/mixed and have some bangers on them. the end of Make Yourself has a few fillers on it which I don't care for but overall a great album. Morning View was a risk for them at the time because it massively strayed from what they'd previously done...fortunately it's fucking ace and a perfect summer album. 

SCIENCE is also a great album but suffers from average production and is definitely "of it's time".
    Philly_Q said:
    gubble said:

Yeah, here I am in my early 40s (cough), still listening to stuff I bought when I was thirty five a teenager....  :#

Glad I’m not the only one. I was 31 when Morning view came out, not 13 :lol: 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    gubble said:

Not all of us. I'm 48 and listen to much more new stuff than old stuff. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Philly_Q said:
    All three?  Is that RATM, RHCP and FNM?
    Not fnm, Incubus.