Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). RATM did it better than RHCP - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

RATM did it better than RHCP

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
It’s taken me….30? years to realise but of that genre I prefer them to RHCP nowadays after spending my 20’s, 30’s and some of my 40’s thinking RHCP ruled all. Or are Incubus the thinking man’s rock-rap- (and the added bonus of scratching) ultimate band? 

I still like/love them all but I think I was being very blinkered with my RHCP love-in and I’m glad I’m older and wiser now.

Any other bands that fit the bill that peeps recommend? Don’t say Beastie Boys because they have their own genre imo.
I play at my dining room table.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    RATM are one of the  greatest bands of all time, RHCP did a couple of good tracks and then because a dreadful parody of themselves. 

Early Faith no More and Anthrax also managed to do rap rock without being terrible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    edited May 2023
    The Beastie Boys are primarily hip-hop, except for when they were a punk band and also when they made an instrumental record. 

There’s no better than. RHCP had some very good albums early on, as did RATM. But I wouldn’t really listen to new stuff by either of them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I liked Incubus best of the bands listed - some genuine brilliance in their output. Sadly they get lumped in with the dross of nu-metal. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Skindred. Rock / Reggae / Rap.

And the best live band in the world at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    When did RHCP do rap?
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    Just Kiedis and his rhyming dictionary 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Jeez forgot about Faith no more, I’m partial to a bit of Mr Bungle too. I’m just giving Caffeine a quick re-spin now.

Never listened to Skindred so cheers for that fret..

Beastie boys are Gods. Lol. Sorry but that’s just me. I idolise them.

I really don’t know if Anthrax are a step too far but I’ll check them out with caution  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Deadman said:
    Jeez forgot about Faith no more, I’m partial to a bit of Mr Bungle too. I’m just giving Caffeine a quick re-spin now.

Never listened to Skindred so cheers for that fret..

Beastie boys are Gods. Lol. Sorry but that’s just me. I idolise them.

I really don’t know if Anthrax are a step too far but I’ll check them out with caution  ;)

They only did a couple of rap rock songs, but Bring the Noise with Public Enemy is the definitive rap metal song IMO.
    edited May 2023
    Cheers @monquixote. I’ve dabbled with Public Enemy because (sigh) of Anthony Kiedis but will revisit that too. Then there’s always NWA. I love the inter-streaming/carry overs. It’s what keeps my passion alive.
    edited May 2023
    S56035 said:
    When did RHCP do rap?
    I’m probably referring to BSSM in my mind.

edit: and everything preceding it tbh…
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited May 2023
    I think all these bands are really quite different from each other.  I like most of them.  Or at least some of what they've all recorded.

If you broaden it out from "rap-rock" to "funk metal", I also liked Living Colour, Mordred, Dan Reed Network, Scat Opera and Mind Funk back in the late '80s and early '90s.  And Electric Boys, although they were more of a hard rock band with a slight bit of funkiness... 

Incubus were an odd one, they were great for a few albums then got really spineless and boring.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    S56035 said:
    When did RHCP do rap?
    You don't hear Kiedis rapping on BSSM or Mother's Milk?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    RHCP are one of those bands who have produced some outstanding stuff and some very average stuff. I’m probably more a fan of John Frusciante tbf. Their absolute best stuff is exceptional, I could have lied, dosed, scar tissue, under the bridge et Al. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    S56035 said:
    When did RHCP do rap?
    You don't hear Kiedis rapping on BSSM or Mother's Milk?
    I do  ;)
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    Did what?
    Apples and oranges.

The Beatles did it better than Michael Crawford.

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    RATM are a straight up protest band. The music hasn’t really aged a whole lot in its messaging, which suggests is why they’ve really not had anything new to say in the last couple of decades. We’re still somewhat stuck, sociopolitically speaking, in 2000. The reason why you get some many pissed off people letting of some steam on the rare occasion they come out of retirement to help with some catharsis is that we are still very much pissed off by the same things. 

RHCP has a bit of that navel gazing millennial surf rock vibe. Valid and good, but feeling a bit dated now. 
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    Like and have albums by both bands, but Brit version was:

for reason can't find my fav track on youtube 'Key'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    Incubus were incredle...Morning View was a masterpiece
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    I'll check that out :)
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    KDS said:
    I'll check that out :)
    the album - not the single  :)
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 947
    edited May 2023
    KDS said:

Senser were amazing - saw them supporting Henry Rollins at the Barrlowlands in Glasgow
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 122
    KDS said:

Not heard that before but it just reminded me of Mark B & Blade, one hit wonder but a catchy tune nonetheless

I liked the odd RATM song but never got into them, RHCP I loved from Californication to Stadium Acadium and stopped listening to them after that, never liked them live though.

If we're talking rap and guitars then Body Count are the GOAT, 'tell us what to do... =), on with the Body Count'

• distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    Incubus had some very fine moments in the past

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    KDS said:

Not heard that before but it just reminded me of Mark B & Blade, one hit wonder but a catchy tune nonetheless

I liked the odd RATM song but never got into them, RHCP I loved from Californication to Stadium Acadium and stopped listening to them after that, never liked them live though.

If we're talking rap and guitars then Body Count are the GOAT, 'tell us what to do... =), on with the Body Count'

I've been to Download festival pretty much every year since '08. Amongst all the heavyweight rock and metal icons, Body count are in the top 3 sets I've seen there 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited May 2023

That sounds like something caught under a lawnmower. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197

If I couldn't see who'd posted that I'd have guessed it was @Reverend. ; ;)
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    Philly_Q said:

If I couldn't see who'd posted that I'd have guessed it was @Reverend. ; ;)

He knows that stuff for sure.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    If you want funk rock then Stevie Salas is amazing.

”Tell your story walking” is a good taster. Brilliant rhythm section too.