Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Satriani on a Lester - seriously - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Satriani on a Lester - seriously

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
    His pick technique is reminiscent of Pat Metheny.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EvoEvo Frets: 292
    Rocker said:

I am commenting on the guitar, despite my limited playing ability on it, but with a firm idea of the sounds I like
    And apparently a need to make sure everybody knows about it when you think they’re having fun wrong…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CaseOfAce said:
    Seeing this thread actually had me reaching for my  credit card, making Jeff Bezos's bank balance just that little bit bigger and purchasing the Jam With Joe Satriani book.

If that’s the book I think it is (blue cover), then I have a whole new respect for that publication after speaking with Jamie Humphries about when he recorded the guitar parts. 

Let’s just say it was far from an easy day at the office for him that day!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    "Masked by technique" might be a candidate for the dumbest comment I've ever seen on a music forum.
    "Masked by technique" might be a candidate for the dumbest comment I've ever seen on a music forum.
    This reminds me of the time I stood in for some mates in a Quo tribute band. Feel free to go and get a biscuit if you don't like long anecdotes but I do like sharing stories. 

It was all very last minute (as these stand in gigs often are), we're squeezing in our first and only rehearsal two days before the gig. I was told to learn the Rossi part in "whatever you want", so that's what I did. Only when I got to the rehearsal, the other guy only knew the Rossi part...leaving me a little irritated and the song "intro-less". 

"No problem" I happily chimed, I've been playing whatever you want for a good 15 years or so now and whilst I'm not in a quo tribute band like these guys...I'm confident I can handle the WYW intro. 

Cue wasting a good 20 minutes of a 2hr rehearsal as this goldilocks of a guitarist insists on rehashing this intro over and over until it sounds "right". Now, I don't mean to blow my own trumpet here but I'm hitting all the right notes. I'm not blagging it, there's no "close enough" going on, the arpeggios are ringing, it's all sounding fine to me. I'm getting exasperated in the corner, trying everything I can think of on this damn intro. Letting notes ring more, letting notes ring less, more palm mute, less palm mute, different pickups, the whole kitchen sink until eventually he pipes up...

"It's too perfect"

It was at this point my only remaining options were to politely suggest he take the intro, or to take a louder, more animated, and entirely more unprofessional approach. I opted for the former.

I swear, he then proceeded to cock that intro right up a good 5-6 times in a row. Bum notes, muted fluffs, dropping turds all over the shop!

Sorry for the ramble, I'm sure most folks probably aren't interested in what I get up to but "Masked by technique" reminded me too much of "it's too perfect" so I thought I'd share. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I remember a clearly bitter music journo complaining about Vai like that.

He actually said that the problem with Vai was that there was zero chance of a mistake. Nothing is beyond him so there is no fear based excitement / anticipation of whether he could get through a tune or whether it would all go wrong.

Bitter Journo was upset that there was no chance of failure.

Strange way to admit that professionalism isn't his own goal in life!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I remember a clearly bitter music journo complaining about Vai like that.

He actually said that the problem with Vai was that there was zero chance of a mistake. Nothing is beyond him so there is no fear based excitement / anticipation of whether he could get through a tune or whether it would all go wrong.

Bitter journo was talking bollocks of course. When I saw Vai last year he fucked up an intro to a song and had to restart it, all done with good humour about him being rusty. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10211

This is why I never watch classical concerts with such unmusical clods as Kissin, Lugansky, Vengerov, Hough, Rattle, Gergiev, Barenboim, etc., nor the RPO, Berlin Philharmonic, etc. Total waste of time. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Bitter journo was talking bollocks of course. When I saw Vai last year he fucked up an intro to a song and had to restart it, all done with good humour about him being rusty. 
    I was at the show that ended up being Vai live at the Astoria.

He broke a string on one of them and had to start again too. Didn't phase him in the slightest. Had a good laugh about it.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211

I was at the show that ended up being Vai live at the Astoria.

He broke a string on one of them and had to start again too. Didn't phase him in the slightest. Had a good laugh about it.
    Oooh I was there. Great soundcheck!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.