Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Satriani on a Lester - seriously - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Satriani on a Lester - seriously

What's Hot
alanohaganalanohagan Frets: 120
So this is like 10 years old but I only just found it - hot dammm

https://youtu.be/DCaswKh5SfA
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Why not! I liked it. 

I remember years ago someone on the Petrucci forum did an excellent cover of Vai's For the love of God on an LP. It sounded equally good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Unusual pick holding!

Lovely job.

I find everything much easier on gibson scale instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Amazing.

I wish I could relax like that when I play.

I even just wish I could learn to stash my pick like that when I need to fingerpick for a quick stretch.

But it’s funny.  Deep down I know I’ll never learn to play like this because it’s not what I hear in my head when I play.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Great playing !

(I had expected a pic/vid of Joe playing a Lester)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Cranky said:

But it’s funny.  Deep down I know I’ll never learn to play like this because it’s not what I hear in my head when I play.
    It's not what ANYONE hears when I play. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    I was expecting to see this: 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    great guitaring but it just bores my arse off
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    He needs to change that pick holding technique if he wants to improve. A few lessons with a decent teacher should sort it out.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    That boy can INTONATE!!! very nice
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Kilgore said:
    He needs to change that pick holding technique if he wants to improve. A few lessons with a decent teacher should sort it out.

Are you being funny? It's perfect for him.....improve that?

Ever seen Steve Morse and would y'all tell him the same?
    tae be or not tae be
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited May 2023
    Hootsmon said:
    Kilgore said:

Are you being funny? It's perfect for him.....improve that?

Ever seen Steve Morse and would y'all tell him the same?
    Apparently not.  

I don't usually go for the shreddy stuff but I thought it was awesome.  :)
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 414
    You know Holdsworth played an SG for a long time right? :D
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    That was great :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Super clean playing. I love watching this sort of thing but I wouldn't listen to it really
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Mind-blowing playing. I'll go pick up my guitar and knuckle down to work on the spot. If I get to learn some 0,01% from this video, well... that'll be massive. Thanks for sharing this!
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    Kilgore said:
    He’s just slanting it the opposite way to normal, all good, does the same as slanting it the conventional way. Only ever had one student do that, and one other player apart from him (in person). Unusual but if it works it’s fine (it does look odd though!). 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    This Preston Black cat was brought to my attention on the Cracking The Code forum. Monster alternate picking chops. \m/
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    The kid's fantastic.

Gawd only knows how good he'd really be if he took all the solid TFB advice on plectrum technique  n' the like :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    It's not from the 'good wood era' though, so obviously the tone just isn't there and that's a shame.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    That is exactly the drivel that is, for some, guitar playing. I have always thought that music and Satriani were distant cousins. Very distant cousins. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    That is exactly the drivel that is, for some, guitar playing. I have always thought that music and Satriani were distant cousins. Very distant cousins. 

The thread isn't about if you like Satriani so keep it to yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited May 2023
    Rocker said:
    Yeah, yeah, I know, B.B. King, Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, just one note, etc etc.

But if you can't appreciate the sheer joy of this young man's playing, then it's your loss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited July 2023
    Rocker said:

I think it’s pretty widely acknowledged that Satriani has a very natural harmonic and melodic understanding that has produced some memorable songs; a fantastic sense of rhythm, which gives his music a lot of groove and feel; and of course he’s a true collaborator who has worked with many other brilliant musicians, giving us some notable recorded and live performances. I wouldn’t think there’d be much doubt about him being a natural musician, especially amongst other musicians. Of course, that doesn’t mean we all have to like him, and he may be running out of ideas after all these years, so his later albums are possibly repetitious. But yep, he’s a natural all right. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 164
    Rocker said:
    Yeah, he’s no Rick Parfitt. Probably all that jazz training and encyclopaedic musical knowledge that has reduced him to drivel. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    Rocker said:
    You not even like the riffs in there @Rocker ?

I think its got some cracking ones. I'm not a Satriani fan per se - but first heard Surfin' on a rock compilation album (without having a bull's notion who it was) and thought it was brilliant. Doctors differ as they say
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    Seeing this thread actually had me reaching for my  credit card, making Jeff Bezos's bank balance just that little bit bigger and purchasing the Jam With Joe Satriani book.

I used to have the Surfing... tab book but I guess like most here learnt the signature licks and gave up.
    Now I've got a "little" more command of the instrument I'm now learning the stuff note for note. 
    A 22 fret guitar is essential - he uses every last inch of the fretboard.

My god there's a multitude of techniques he employs in the services of real songs.
    I'd forgotten just what a fantastic creative (and melodic) player he is.
    What's more with a bit of practice it's attainable - as in the vid in the OP's post.

It's become fashionable of late to bash on Satriani ("never written a song as good as Louis Louis", Blackmore's "never really searching for notes") - not to mention general toolery on here. How very wrong they are.

I've spent the weekend revisiting that ingenious intro riff from Circles. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5doS06EH-w
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    AK99 said:
    Rocker said:

I think its got some cracking ones. I'm not a Satriani fan per se - but first heard Surfin' on a rock compilation album (without having a bull's notion who it was) and thought it was brilliant. Doctors differ as they say
    In order to get to like the riffs @AK99 I would have to hear them first. There might well be some crackers in there but they are coated with drivel and masked by technique. 

I have always maintained that a guitar is a very poor musical instrument, excellent at backing a singer, but virtually useless on its own. It appeals to young males who are easily impressed. 

The sad aspect is that there are good and harmonically pleasing sounds to be got from a guitar. Very few guitar players seem to know where these notes are. 

BTW, my response was not written to generate conflict or annoyance to anyone. Most members here already know my opinions about guitar music..... (I play guitar, bass and a few chords on a piano, so I am commenting on the guitar, despite my limited playing ability on it, but with a firm idea of the sounds I like)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Rocker said:
    AK99 said:
    Rocker said:

In order to get to like the riffs @AK99 I would have to hear them first. There might well be some crackers in there but they are coated with drivel and masked by technique. 

I have always maintained that a guitar is a very poor musical instrument, excellent at backing a singer, but virtually useless on its own. It appeals to young males who are easily impressed. 

The sad aspect is that there are good and harmonically pleasing sounds to be got from a guitar. Very few guitar players seem to know where these notes are. 

BTW, my response was not written to generate conflict or annoyance to anyone. Most members here already know my opinions about guitar music..... (I play guitar, bass and a few chords on a piano, so I am commenting on the guitar, despite my limited playing ability on it, but with a firm idea of the sounds I like)
    And this time tomorrow you'll be visiting your local Indian restaurant to announce that you don't like curry, followed by a brief follow-up lecture
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    Rocker said:

If you listen to the first 20 seconds of the video - it has the main riff, and nothing else. It does drive the song (can I call it that with no vocals ?) throughout - you can't really miss it

As rock guitar riffs go, a pretty damn good'un if you ask me!
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    My Nan always said "If you got nothing nice to say then say nothing" , if you don't like it don't comment on it, it serves no purpose. She was hard as nails my nan.
    I like a bit of Satriani, its all ingredients to stir into the pot as far as I'm concerned.