Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Martin SC-13e? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Martin SC-13e?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Just as well really. Despite being a Maton player to my bootstraps, I'm not really a huge fan of the Nashville.

Apart from the sunburst finish (I have always disliked sunbursts, though at least this one is not as ugly as those awful Gibson ones) the sound is not really to my liking. It lacks body to my ear. Of course a country player may well say "No, it's got a nice bit of twang". Each to his own.

There are three Blackwood-back 808s, the outstanding Australian (which normally comes with a Bunya top but can also be ordered in Sitka Spruce), the sublime Artist, and the Nashville. All more-or-less the same price but the Nashville would be my last choice.

(Plus the EBW808, but that has a Blackwood top as well.) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Update - it was the acoustic session again last night.

First, I was right/wrong - the D-18 hadn’t been sounding at its best previously. The owner has now restrung it and it sounds great, like a D-18 should… all the dynamics, lower midrange punch and sparkling top-end it lacked the last couple of times. The best-sounding guitar there.

*But* - the SC-13 is still a very close second, and just ‘different’ rather than worse. Even now I know it’s laminate, I couldn’t detect any trace of it in the sound. It actually has more ‘woody’ bass than the D-18, a thicker tone overall, and not far off the volume. (Allowing for the different playing styles of their owners.) As mentioned above, it’s actually pretty close to a 000-28, I think - albeit without having one to directly compare it with.

It’s also (to me) better-sounding than a cheaper Martin Dreadnought (I think a 16), a posh Gibson of some sort (Songwriter of some description I think), a Breedlove (don’t know the model), and a top-end Takamine (which I know is laminate back/sides) - all of which are nice guitars, but the Martin SC just sounds better in my opinion - stronger, woodier, more complex, more dynamic and really like a Martin should.

I haven’t played it myself, admittedly - but I also think that hearing the guitars from across the room (we all sit in a big circle) is possibly more useful - it certainly projects well and doesn’t lack depth even from about ten feet away.

So I honestly think those dismissing it purely on the grounds of being laminate are wrong. I also still don’t think it’s overpriced, really - it sounds as good as I would expect a guitar in that price bracket to, and better than a lot I’ve heard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    I can't wait to try one - but if it's half as good as those 30-odd cheaper, high-quality, all-solid guitars I listed earlier, I'll eat my boots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    edited May 2023
    I'm literally playing one right now and it's fantastic. BUT a tad tinny compared to "all wood"
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    I'm literally playing one right now and it's fantastic. BUT a tad tinny compared to "all wood"
    Interesting. Is that from the connection through your rib cage as you play, or the actual projection out of the soundhole?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    It "vibrated" well, just didn't have the depth compared to some others I played. I think it's a great little guitar and it's good they're trying to innovate. The cutaway is great, I like it

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Forgot to update this - this week at the jam session I got a chance to actually play the Martin myself for a couple of minutes.

Very interesting… it’s considerably *less* great-sounding to the player than it is from across the room - less apparent volume, much less bass, and in fact sounds a lot more like a small-bodied Taylor or something. Not positively bad at all, but I can certainly imagine that if you played one in a shop you would not be all that impressed. It clearly projects *really* well, to the point that what’s left of the sound going back towards the player is then somewhat lacking.

It also plays exceptionally well - also very Taylor-like, and the cutaway makes the body joint appear to vanish entirely. The slightly offset shape is also extremely comfortable. I didn’t try it plugged in.

I can accept that the lack of backwards projection may be a function of the laminate back/sides - and possibly the very unusual x-braced back, which will also stiffen it - since a lot of the sensation of bass when you’re playing an acoustic comes from the resonance of the back rather than sound from the top, and that is definitely reduced with a laminate body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited June 2023
    Not sure what your outcome was with the SC13E @Phil_C but (info only) just noticed there's now recently a SC10E which is a cheaper version. Made in Martin's Mexico factory, Spruce top/Koa laminate back and sides. Seems to be £1300-1375 compared with £1700'ish.

Martin's Mexican offerings are typically impressive, but similar and simpler, with Martin wanting to take advantage of cheaper manufacturing costs without tarnishing the hallowed marketing of its Nazareth site. Those loving Martins but less impressed with high prices, finishing, materials and kudos should always give the Mexican products a good look.

The Guitarist Issue 500 (Aug 2023) gives the SC10E 9/10 and is fairly glowing about tone, and the playability of the S series shape generally. 

So, another option.

:-)

Martin SC-10E Electro Acoustic - Guitars - Acoustic Guitars (expressmusic.co.uk)

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited June 2023
    Actually!!!!  Just noticed SC13E also made in Mexico.