Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sherwood green, making a guitar and many balls ups. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sherwood green, making a guitar and many balls ups.

What's Hot
PennPenn Frets: 351
edited May 2023 in Making & Modding
I don’t suppose anyone has a tiny little bit of Sherwood Green from Steve at Manchester guitar tech hanging about? I’ve been thick and all I need is a tiny little bit to sort this stupid mess I’ve made. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited May 2023
    It was all going well. The body came from Gavin at Axecaster. @gavin_axecaster ;

Sanding

Sealing

Painting first coat

It was looking ok after I gave up painting outside. I lost half the paint to the bloody wind doing that and had to order more. 

Anyway if anyone has a tiny bit let me know. I’d really appreciate it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    So your suburb would now be one of those trendy green neighbourhoods now.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Penn said:

Lord Of The Flies?
    Be seeing you.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited May 2023
    I wondered who else would notice the Raid insecticide.
    Wish I could help @Penn, but any spare Sherwood Green I have is on the garage wall after spraying a body 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I used the last aerosol tin right to the end until it started spattering, and I binned it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Tannin yes it’s all coffee shops with mocha chai tea latte knickerbocker glory double espressos. Everyone has hipster beards, including the women. 

@Funkfingers don’t joke. We have massive flies here. I think the nuclear power plant across the river might be leaking and making them giant mutants. 

@BillDL how the other half live. Can’t imagine being wealthy enough to afford a place to store a motor carriage. Can you scrape some off the wall maybe? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Right, more paint ordered. Let’s hope I don’t mess it up this time. 

I have a bridge from Crazyparts but the screws seem to be stuck. Anyone else had this? 

Suggestions on how to get them moving are welcome. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Thanks!

Is the bridge rusted? Try 3-in-1 and/or WD-40 first, leave it a while to penetrate and if that doesn't work, apply a bit of heat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks!

Is the bridge rusted? Try 3-in-1 and/or WD-40 first, leave it a while to penetrate and if that doesn't work, apply a bit of heat.
    I think the technical term is aged… yeah it was but bit of wd-40 seems to have freed it up. 

Let’s hope I don’t have to order anymore paint. Don’t get me wrong I’m pleased with the paint and you’ve been brilliant Steve  but I haven’t bought wiring, pickups or plastics yet  
    edited May 2023
    So it looks better. Thank you @SteveRobinson. I can’t believe how fast you get stuff out. You’re brilliant. 

Oh wait, what’s this? It looks like the person spraying it had a woolly jumper on. 

At least my Mrs won’t come home and be annoyed about anything. Nothing to see here. 

Yes the green is on the chair and table. Balls! Sherwood balls! 

6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Fu(k
    Not sure if you spotted it, but there's some green on the fireplace surround and the radiator too.

Only joking.  That's a good spray job.  Pity about the thread.  You might be able to carefully pick it out and a fine overspray in that area might melt the lacquer enough to fill and blend it without having to sand it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 84
    Still looks bloody gorgeous. Can you give it a satin finish or is it going to be glossy? Love the colour…one of the best ever IMO
    Penn said:
    the green is on the table and chairs
    Start something big! :grin: 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    BillDL said:
    Not sure if you spotted it, but there's some green on the fireplace surround and the radiator too.

Only joking.  That's a good spray job.  Pity about the thread.  You might be able to carefully pick it out and a fine overspray in that area might melt the lacquer enough to fill and blend it without having to sand 
    I’m pretty sure your are right. I’ve got paint everywhere. Still at least this morning I risked sanding slightly and….

Hopefully that’s sorted enough. 

Still looks bloody gorgeous. Can you give it a satin finish or is it going to be glossy? Love the colour…one of the best ever IMO
    It will be gloss but what I can’t decide is if I should age it down. The hardware is fairly lightly aged stuff from Crazyparts. 

I might crack the finish with hot and cold but the more I look at real old guitars the more I think that doesn’t always look right.  I think some of the cracking on old guitars is probably from humidity changes too. I’m not sure how best to replicate that. 
    Penn said:
    the green is on the table and chairs
    Start something big! :grin: 
    I suspect I will be starting a large decorating project when her indoors gets home. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    I seem to remember an old post where Steve said his lacquer was pretty craze resistant. That might have changed since though.
    tFB Trader
    It will crack if you freeze it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It will crack if you freeze it. 
    Thanks Steve. I might well do so. I can’t decide. Seems a pity to damage a good finish but at the same time it does look very new compared to the hardware. 
    tFB Trader
    Add a few dings first, they act as centres for the cracks to form.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Add a few dings first, 
    Mrs Penn will probably do that for him when she sees the table ….
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    Add a few dings first, 
    Mrs Penn will probably do that for him when she sees the table ….
    :D
    Nah, she will probably add them to me. 
    The green thing progresses slowly 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023

Actual progress with the green thing.  
    edited June 2023
    Dang! It would have been wiser to twist the pickup output conductor pairs together before soldering them. This would improve noise and hum rejection a little. (Like you have done with the conductors to the output jack socket.)
    Be seeing you.
    Dang! It would have been wiser to twist the pickup output conductor pairs together before soldering them. This would improve noise and hum rejection a little. (Like you have done with the conductors to the output jack socket.)
    Now you tell me!  ;)
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Looking most excellent :)
    If anyone is interested I did finish the green thing. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Nice!

Green is good. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    I recently picked up a Sherwood Green Strat, its a colour that grows on you ;)
    That's turned out really nicely.  I love the look of Sherwood Green, especially with a rosewood fretboard.  You did a great job buffing it.  Mines still not assembled.  I just have to solder up the pots and switch then drill holes for the 2-point trem bridge.  I had a mishap with the lacquer too.  The neck was a squeaky tight fit and it snagged on the lacquer at the front edge of the lower side of the pocket as I was lifting it out after a dry-fit, chipping a bit of the lacquer off.  I managed to glue it back on with a dab of epoxy and use that for the hard glaze to cover the edges of the chip.  Once smoothed off and buffed it's hardly noticeable, but I know it's there and it's annoying.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    BillDL said:
    That's turned out really nicely.  I love the look of Sherwood Green, especially with a rosewood fretboard.  You did a great job buffing it.  Mines still not assembled.  I just have to solder up the pots and switch then drill holes for the 2-point trem bridge.  I had a mishap with the lacquer too.  The neck was a squeaky tight fit and it snagged on the lacquer at the front edge of the lower side of the pocket as I was lifting it out after a dry-fit, chipping a bit of the lacquer off.  I managed to glue it back on with a dab of epoxy and use that for the hard glaze to cover the edges of the chip.  Once smoothed off and buffed it's hardly noticeable, but I know it's there and it's annoying.
    Well between you and me… I did the same thing but I used a little artists brush with some green on just to pull it over and put a tiny bit of clear over the top.  It polished out ok. Dumb thing to do. 

That said I was going for a vintage strat look and they often have damage there. I buffed it okish but I’ve left some swirls on purpose so it looks like it’s old and has polish swirls from being cleaned. I sort of want to get it all to crack a little but I’m sure it will do that with age anyway. 

This time last year I helped my uncle sell his veneer board parts Strat. We chucked it through GH. Had an original neck and quite a few other bits on a homemade body. I keep wishing I’d had it from him and used the bits on a better body… like the Hosco one on this guitar  :s