Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Old Stanley No 4 - Restored - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Old Stanley No 4 - Restored

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    Excellent result
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 861
    Excellent work. Perfect end result, you should be chuffed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Stunning restoration. Truly stunning.
    However, where is the tissue-thin shaving of maple or mahogany that came from the mouth of this plane? :)
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 301
    Cheers guys! 

@Kalimna I need to set it up properly before I show what it can do  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Really great job, well worth doing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks @KirkyYorkshire, I agree  :)

@Kalimna - Set this up earlier and here's what I got with pine and oak.

I'm really made up with how this performs. I followed a few steps I read online regarding the blade sharpness, chip breaker distance from the blade's edge and frog adjustment and they really made a difference. It's a joy to use and quite addictive  :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Excellent work! Nice shavings too - very good as firelighters for bbq/firepits....
    The other thing that really helps to make a good cut is to apply a little wax on the sole - a quick squiggle with a candle should do the trick.
    Thanks for the thread, very interesting indeed :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    strat84 said:

OMG I can smell that photo!!

Great work, sir.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Coincidentally, I've just unearthed my Dad's, which is in similarly poor shape.  I doubt I'll get it looking as good as yours, but at least it shows that it's not beyond repair.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

@Kalimna Thanks, that's a great idea re the bbq, will keep them from now on! Thanks for the tip as well, will give that a try  :)

Cheers @DiscoStu Oak does smell lovely when cut! 

@Jonathangus - Definitely looks a good candidate to repair! Is it a No 4?

Is it typical to get the smaller shavings from Oak and the longer 'onion skins' from pine? I know pine is a soft wood but it seemed really easy to get full length shavings with the pine and the finish was like glass

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    @strat84 - yes, it's a No. 4.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Good, thin shavings from pine is a mark of a well set up plane. Oak, partly because it is so porous and coarser-grained, will be less likely to give you those shavings. The finish should still be glassy smooth though.
    Maple is a beautiful wood to plane, pupleheart however is the work of the devil!
    Walnut is also stunning to plane, but i have some Scottish walnut that is like granite!

Kalimna said:
    Good, thin shavings from pine is a mark of a well set up plane. Oak, partly because it is so porous and coarser-grained, will be less likely to give you those shavings. The finish should still be glassy smooth though.
    Maple is a beautiful wood to plane, pupleheart however is the work of the devil!
    Walnut is also stunning to plane, but i have some Scottish walnut that is like granite!

Thanks. The Oak certainly is smooth as well, the pine was just a bit more satisfying to plane  :)
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    I found a Record No. 3 in a box of 'inherited' tools...any good?
    I found a Record No. 3 in a box of 'inherited' tools...any good?
    Any pics @digitalkettle? ;
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    It's probably nothing special...

digitalkettle said:
    It's probably nothing special...

I'd certainly give it a go. A great video here of a Record restoration -

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    Very impressive restoration! I hate throwing things away that could be fixed, this is very inspiring. 
    Many thanks @Supportact ;