Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Old Stanley No 4 - Restored - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Old Stanley No 4 - Restored

What's Hot
strat84strat84 Frets: 301
edited May 2023 in Making & Modding
I recently had a rummage through my Grandad's shed and came across an old plane. I was close to binning it as it looked a bit of a mess but I'd seen one of Paul Sellers' YouTube vids where he restores an old Stanley No 4 so thought I'd try and do the same.

Turns out that's exactly what it is. Not only that but after taking it apart and dating it with the patent numbers it looks like it's a type 10 from 1907-1909. Im sure these are pretty common but I'm really glad I thought twice about throwing it away. Looking forward to restoring this and hopefully using it for years to come! 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited May 2023
    That will clean up just fine, we'll worth it for the old steel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    My one is the same era. Older irons definitely keep the edge better than later stuff. 

A quick/cheap/safe de-rusting way is get a plastic tub, put hot water in it. Throw in a handful of citric acid (approx tenner kilo delivered). Lob the steel/iron parts in (not sure about brass but safer not to). Put a lid on, scrap wood, anything - not to seal it, but keeps it hot for ages.
    After an hour or two scrub the parts. Rust should be either gone or converted to a soft grey sludge that wipes away easily.

Dry bits fast, flash rust might form otherwise but it's super light dust and wipes away.

Citrics very safe, its in food and bath bombs, cleaning agents etc etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Nice.

I never like to see a plane put down on it's blade though  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 301
    Cheers chaps! 

Sounds like an easier way than going at it with some 120 grit @Corvus ; :)

I'll certainly not rest it on the blade once sharpened  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Safest way to leave it is blade down
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    You should rest it on its side if you’re putting it down in the middle of a job, and wind the blade back a bit so it’s not exposed before you put it away when you’ve finished.

- my first woodwork teacher c.1975

I hadn’t realised that ‘modern’ Stanley design went back that far - without really thinking about it I assumed it was post-WWII. I’ll have to get mine out and check the dates, I’ve got one that size and a longer one, can’t remember the model numbers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@ICBM I was suprised as well, thought this would have been from the 60s. It could well have been my Great Grandad's. 

Here's the chart I used to date it. The patent numbers on this were behind the frog but I think each 'type' is different. 

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/fG1J2VWe18pV
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • enjoenjo Frets: 201
    ICBM said:
    You should rest it on its side if you’re putting it down in the middle of a job, and wind the blade back a bit so it’s not exposed before you put it away when you’ve finished.

- my first woodwork teacher c.1975

I hadn’t realised that ‘modern’ Stanley design went back that far - without really thinking about it I assumed it was post-WWII. I’ll have to get mine out and check the dates, I’ve got one that size and a longer one, can’t remember the model numbers.
    The aforementioned Paul Sellers says best practice is to place it on the sole (on a wooden work bench).
    According to him any professionals he has known believe laying it on the side invites knocking the blade out of centre and keeping the sharp bit out of the way is much better - a wooden work bench isn't going to dull the blade.
    The important part is probably having a wooden workbench that you are not precious about! 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    My dad's old bench used to have a 1/2" strip of wood at the back to rest one end of the planes on, so that the blade would be lifted off the bench when you put it down.  It was about a foot long, so you could have a few planes out (this is back from when all the work was being done with hand tools).  He was a joiner from doing his apprenticeship at 15, so I did get quite a few of his hand tools to use for myself when he passed away.
    I remembered that my mate's dad has a sand blasting machine. He assured me it wasn't aggressive at all, can even be used on wood. 45 minutes later - 

0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 307
    Thats a great foundation to build upon. Get some decent paint on there, it'll look a million dollars.  
    Cheers @LordOxygen, that's the plan  :)
    strat84 said:

Here's the chart I used to date it. The patent numbers on this were behind the frog but I think each 'type' is different. 

Thanks for that. So, I have a No.4 and a No.5, and unsurprisingly they're fairly modern - although still a little older than I expected - both Type 19, 1948-1961.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    strat84 said:

Thanks for that. So, I have a No.4 and a No.5, and unsurprisingly they're fairly modern - although still a little older than I expected - both Type 19, 1948-1961.
    No problem. Ah great stuff, are they in good nick? 
    strat84 said:

No problem. Ah great stuff, are they in good nick? 
    More or less, although the rear handles have been broken and glued on both of them - it's very common, since the short grain runs across the handle, which is bad woodwork practice really!

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Replace it with a Gibson headstock
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    All bolt heads, brass and blade irons have had a further sand and polish - 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    Great job so far. You've inspired me to have a go at refurbishing some old hand tools I've inherited.
    Thanks! I'm glad to hear that  :)
    A fine day for some painting 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    I must dig out my grandad's plane from the garage where it's laid for many years luckily it's box, but no doubt in poor shape.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Nice one with the blasting/ shining up @strat84 ;;

Bought a no.3, went to look it up. Not that it matters but just nice to know. Couldn't quite place it to a period. On more reading up it seems d
    ating Made in England Stanleys is pretty impossible ... the sites & charts cover USA planes, but ours aren't the same at all.

The only solid things seems to be that Stanley England started in the mid 30s. Anything with a wooden handle/tote is pre-67.  Which is still shakey as they could've been swapped for later plastic. Nothing else really identifies them to a year or even a period.

Anyway, as you were, it's looking very tidy there
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Wow, that sand blast did a fab job! Nice work so far!
    Cheers chaps  :)

@Corvus It's funny you couldn't place your no.3, mine was pretty clear but I dont know how accurate the chart is. Here's the one I used below. Mine has 2 patent numbers and has the enlarged and arched frog rib which puts it as a type 10. It also has '10' stamped into the sole where the back handle sits - 

Stanley Bailey https://imgur.com/a/rGK1VBP
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Regarding the not-putting-a-plane-sole-down-on-a-bench-or-not  question, I too have a strip of wood that I'll lay the toe on. So sole down, but no blade contact. It's also unusual for me not to have some tatty anti-slip matting (that stuff you can use underneath kitchen chopping boards to prevent slippage, and in drawers etc.) which is a perfect plane-resting-device.

Top notch work on the plane restoration by the way, makes me a little ashamed of the state of some of my Stanleys!

Not a great photo, but the only one to hand! :-1: 
    https://i.imgur.com/lBc9NHE.jpg

Thanks @Kalimna - They look fine to me! Nice collection  :)
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 861
    Kalimna said:
    Regarding the not-putting-a-plane-sole-down-on-a-bench-or-not  question, I too have a strip of wood that I'll lay the toe on. So sole down, but no blade contact. It's also unusual for me not to have some tatty anti-slip matting (that stuff you can use underneath kitchen chopping boards to prevent slippage, and in drawers etc.) which is a perfect plane-resting-device.

Top notch work on the plane restoration by the way, makes me a little ashamed of the state of some of my Stanleys!

Love the Aristocrat chisels in the pic. They won the 1959 Industrial Design Award. I’ve just cleaned up a set that belonged to my dad.
    https://smallworkshop.co.uk/2018/05/09/ward-payne-aristocrat-chisels/
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Zoolooter said:
    Kalimna said:

Love the Aristocrat chisels in the pic. They won the 1959 Industrial Design Award. I’ve just cleaned up a set that belonged to my dad.
    https://smallworkshop.co.uk/2018/05/09/ward-payne-aristocrat-chisels/
    I didnt know about the design award, I bought those chisels as Stanley 5001's. Same design?

Thanks @strat84 they work well (some upgraded Hock irons), though look used and a bit battered. Not that that's a bad thing!
    edited May 2023
    Got this pretty much finished other than flattening the sole which I needed it assembled for anyway. Blade is sharpened to 3000 grit then polished with a leather strop. Not sure if I should go any further with it but it produced some nice fine shavings with pine and also left a lovely smooth finish!

Couple here of how it did look 

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter