Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Larrivee guitars are rubbish - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Larrivee guitars are rubbish

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Haha - I've never enjoyed a rosewood so much. Very woody and warm. Now I need to practice, as highlighted by my recordings!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380

I have come back to this... As tonight I tried to record myself in the OM03BH with moon spruce top and you are correct... It highlights bad technique, maybe because it is more fundamental than mahogany. A great top wood but are 100% correct here, sir! 
    I rarely get an observation like this right, so there's a time for a first! 

It's a shame you'd never got to make a trip to TAMCO, when it was open.  They used to have an incredible selection of acoustic guitars.  I played a number of great guitars and there and it made me appreciate, some of them were so responsive that they would turn even the slightest touch to the strings into a lot of sound.  I remember being a little overwhelmed by some of them.  I found it akin to being a learner driver in a sportscar with no idea how to control the car! 

Moon/European Spruce is good stuff for sure.  I'm quite intrigued by the Indian Laurel/Bhilwara, it sounds like it is a great alternative to rosewood.  I like the sound of rosewood guitars, but playing them, they can be a bit too much (too much bass, treble), which doesn't seem like the way with your new Larry.

Your new OM03BH sounds like an a gem of a guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    Yep you got your observation spot on. Moon wood is more fundamental, I think it feels/sounds spongey, slightly quicker decay but a lovely sound. But you are right in that it really highlights your technique, be it good or bad. 

I need to stop looking, though I'm very very interested in trying a Bourgeois. Also in terms of other tops, I do think the dark Martin sound with bright adi top is nice. 

For fingerstyle, this is a very earthy wood with bass rumble like a normal rosewood but no metallic tang. Not as deep as the OM44R I tried (which was a great rosewood - the Larrivee sounded fuller than Breedlove rosewood I tried) but more mids and just a different sound. A "mahogany rosewood" - thank you :) 

I still think sapele is also a fantastic wood. Santa Cruz sapele special sounds fantastic.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    @thomasross20 have you ever considered opening a guitar shop? That way you could scratch all your itches..... ;)

Haha! You know I could have been happy just keeping that one OM02. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Soupman said:
    @thomasross20 have you ever considered opening a guitar shop? That way you could scratch all your itches..... ;)

You know that when you open a shop you are supposed to sell stuff, not just hoard it?

This is why I never got rich despite all those years of owning a computer shop. I used to buy hard drives I din't particularly expect to sell at a profit just because I liked having them on the shelf and looking at them. I used to carry way more stock than any sane businessman needed, and all of it going down in value every week because computer parts are like that. 

Sad but true.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Nothing earthshakingly revealing here but a pleasant and useful short video from Taylor chief designer Andy Powers on matching player to tonewood. His views pretty much agree with mine, as it happens. (If only he would stop putting that awful dark stain on perfectly good maple backs.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ooooh I will watch that later, thanks!
    @Tannin you may also like this page. 
    Btw have discovered I'm a big fan of Canadian luthiery in general.

https://boucherguitars.com/choose-your-guitar/

https://cjtm.icaap.org/content/23/v23art4.html