Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). ‘50% of vinyl buyers in the US don’t own a record player, data shows’ - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

‘50% of vinyl buyers in the US don’t own a record player, data shows’

What's Hot
barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
edited April 2023 in Music
I know some people buy records ‘just to have them’, but this is so silly (albeit good for artists). 

Not the biggest sample size, I should note, but amusing even if it’s half that number! 

Article is here if you’re interested: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/50-of-vinyl-buyers-dont-own-a-record-player-data-shows/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I must admit I have approximately 1,000 albums on vinyl but I don't have a working record player.  I did have one when I bought them though.  Well, most of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve loads of vinyl but nothing to play them on. I’d say that figure is higher than 50%
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    But are you guys still buying records with no means of playing them? Old collections is a different thing; these sales seem to be to people who enjoy records as (expensive) merch only.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I buy vinyl and own a record player and quite often listen to vinyl as well.

The vinyl as expensive merch idea is great for bands though.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I buy vinyl still & own a player & a tape player . I bought a 12” video CD (like a laser disc ) today but don’t have a player also have reel to reel tapes & 8 track carts although I did have an 8 track & mini disc I don’t at the moment . If it’s by a band I dig I’ll buy anything rare  ,still have collectible VHS of stones ,Aerosmith & G n R but no vcr at present although I have always had them for years 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    barnstorm said:
    But are you guys still buying records with no means of playing them? Old collections is a different thing; these sales seem to be to people who enjoy records as (expensive) merch only.
    I've bought maybe 10 vinyl records in the last 30 years - a few things which weren't available on CD but I wanted them for collection purposes, a few picture discs.  And one accidental purchase where I'd meant to order the CD!

There seems to be a thing for releasing albums on different coloured vinyl, I guess there must be people who collect all of those, but I haven't got into it.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Records are nice objects and people want them
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I have 2000 or so albums, all from the old days. I have had no room to set up a record player for over 2 decades, although I 'think' I still have one somewhere.

I keep seeing new vinyl albums that I would love to buy, but I resist as there's no point, plus they are bloody expensive.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Given how these sorts of surveys are usually written it probably also covers people who have bought vinyl as a gift, which will be a big chunk of the vinyl-buying public
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    I have three very decent record players.  
    I listen to vinyl a lot. 

If any of you lot who don’t have record players want to sell your collections, I’m buying!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Buying albums, vinyl or CD, and not having any way of listening to them is akin to buying a guitar without any strings fitted. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    There’s plenty of people on here who have loads of guitars who never seem to play them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There’s plenty of people on here who have loads of guitars who never seem to play them.
    Guilty as charged!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Given how these sorts of surveys are usually written it probably also covers people who have bought vinyl as a gift, which will be a big chunk of the vinyl-buying public
    That's a good point. Records are an easy gift
    Rocker said:
    Buying albums, vinyl or CD, and not having any way of listening to them is akin to buying a guitar without any strings fitted. 
    Yeah, but strings are easy to fit.  At a time that suits.

I've got a growing collection of films on 4K Ultra HD, but I haven't got a 4K TV or disc player.  However, I will need to buy a new TV at some point, and it will be 4K.  Unless we're up to 8K by then, which will complicate things...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Vinyl, schminyl.

They are records, albums or LPs, and I play them on a turntable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    If you buy the LP, you also have access to the content online, and you have an album cover you can enjoy while you listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Wax cylinders for me. I've got no time for this new fangled 'vinyl'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    Litterick said:
    If you buy the LP, you also have access to the content online, and you have an album cover you can enjoy while you listen.
    I would say this is true if you buy the much cheaper CD, too, but I wonder how many people have a CD player these days!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    @Philly_Q  my point is that without strings, a guitar cannot be played. TV technology is developing and evolving, so you are wise to hold back until a standard becomes the norm, but LPs have been available for a long number of years and players for them are plentiful and easily obtained. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

barnstorm said:
    Litterick said:
    I would say this is true if you buy the much cheaper CD, too, but I wonder how many people have a CD player these days!
    Much as I don't have a working turntable, I don't have a working CD player either - actually I do, sort of, I have my old Pioneer DVD player which has been repurposed as a CD player.

When I retire - and after I've made some steps towards sorting out my hoarding problem - I may well re-commission or replace my hi-fi system, although in typical fashion I won't get rid of anything if it still works, no matter how old it is. @Rocker I might get a new turntable as well. :)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Philly_Q said:

When I retire - and after I've made some steps towards sorting out my hoarding problem - I may well re-commission or replace my hi-fi system, although in typical fashion I won't get rid of anything if it still works, no matter how old it is.
    Now and again I read one of your posts, and think to myself we have a few similarities...

I really need to get rid of some of my guitar boxes, but I'm still keeping them just in case I sell a guitar...
    Philly_Q said:

When I retire - and after I've made some steps towards sorting out my hoarding problem - I may well re-commission or replace my hi-fi system, although in typical fashion I won't get rid of anything if it still works, no matter how old it is.
    Now and again I read one of your posts, and think to myself we have a few similarities...

I really need to get rid of some of my guitar boxes, but I'm still keeping them just in case I sell a guitar...
    Get rid of yours, and you can have a couple of mine if you ever sell some guitars.  No point in both of us being Mr Trebus.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Litterick said:
    That's true, but if you buy the CD you very often get *more* artwork and information in the booklet than you do on a record cover - the usual argument is backwards, in fact - albeit on a smaller scale (only a real problem if you're very short-sighted, I would have thought), and you can self-rip the files at any quality you want and play them on your own devices.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Litterick said:
    That's true, but if you buy the CD you very often get *more* artwork and information in the booklet than you do on a record cover - the usual argument is backwards, in fact - albeit on a smaller scale (only a real problem if you're very short-sighted, I would have thought), and you can self-rip the files at any quality you want and play them on your own devices.
    I think, though, that the CD age led to, broadly speaking, different types of cover artwork.  Those old Yes and Kansas album covers don't look as good scaled down to less than a quarter of their original size.
    Philly_Q said:
    Rocker said:
    Yeah, but strings are easy to fit.  At a time that suits.

I've got a growing collection of films on 4K Ultra HD, but I haven't got a 4K TV or disc player.  However, I will need to buy a new TV at some point, and it will be 4K.  Unless we're up to 8K by then, which will complicate things...
    4k is double what we used to get in cinemas  with 2k digital projection, so 8k is simply more pixels on a TV, done for the exact same reason they picked up 4k so quick , you just cut a piece of glass twice as big.

Plus although there are new tweaks to HDR, they are tweaks.

In a nutshell, you will have a lovely time watching all those 4k blus when you get your new TV and player, and need not worry about 8k.

My favourite 4k transfer to date is Dunkirk, I loved the film and the 4k really brings across how beautifully Chris Nolan wields an Imax camera.
    barnstorm said:
    Litterick said:
    I ironically bought one of those Denon mini systems from the thread the other day, built in CD, bluetooth for the Spotify and an analog input for my vinyl.

Unlike my old musical fidelity amp it replaced, it has a remote.

I love it.  I love vinyl for my rock but I love CD for classical.  
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    axisus said:
    I have 2000 or so albums, all from the old days. I have had no room to set up a record player for over 2 decades, although I 'think' I still have one somewhere.

I keep seeing new vinyl albums that I would love to buy, but I resist as there's no point, plus they are bloody expensive.

Could this possibly be because you have 2000 or so albums? :)
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    Litterick said:
    I think, though, that the CD age led to, broadly speaking, different types of cover artwork.  Those old Yes and Kansas album covers don't look as good scaled down to less than a quarter of their original size.
    A twelve-inch square is a good space for artwork, and there is more on the back and possibly a gatefold. A CD is small.

Besides, people spend much of their lives with digital things that do not exist in the physical world, so they like to have a long-playing record in their hands.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited May 2023
    It's not that weird to buy records without a record player, in my opinion. I buy stuff I like while it's still available, because by the time I can justify a good record player, it might not be made any more.

I lived in a very small house until recently, so once I've sorted out my music space in my new house I might well have room for one. If i get one at Christmas, I've got about 20 albums and singles ready to play on it, which seems like good forward planning to me?