Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oak Pedalboard Build - Complete - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oak Pedalboard Build - Complete

What's Hot
strat84strat84 Frets: 301
edited June 2023 in Making & Modding
I've managed to get a start on a pedalboard build with the lighter nights and decent weather so thought I'd share my progress so far.

I bought 3 metres of 95 × 19mm Oak from Ebay as it was fairly priced, had some nice grain and looked to be straight and square. I'd already cut down my existing IKEA Gorm pedalboard to the dimensions I wanted the new one to be so was able to get started with the cuts. I only have 5 pedals so wanted it as compact as possible - About 400 x 300 mm with space for a power supply and extension lead underneath.

I was hoping to use hand tools only for this but the rip cuts were quite tough so ended up using a circular saw. This is the first time I've used any sort of hardwood, a bit different to pine

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    I'll be keep an eye on this as I've got plans to make something similar (although a little bit larger). 
    Do you have a plan or sketch of what you're making?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 301
    @BigMonka The only thing I've got is this cardboard cut out of the side profile, just so I could get an accurate layout of the slats. These are 45mm each and will sit through each side. The sides measure 55mm at the back up to 65mm at the front  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Joints complete. Not perfect but not bad for a first go with a saw and chisel. I did think about doing dove tails but this was stressful enough 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Looking great!
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    nero1701 said:
    Looking great!
    Thanks  :)
    Starting to take a bit of shape - 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    A spot of rain so I brought the fun indoors.. the Mrs was pleased with the sawdust all over the conservatory 

Everything has slotted together nicely, not far off glue up time 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    You can be very proud of this it's going to be rather gorgeous.

What's tasty looking handsaw you're using? Japanese?
    JCA2550 said:
    You can be very proud of this it's going to be rather gorgeous.

What's tasty looking handsaw you're using? Japanese?
    That's very kind @JCA2550 thanks, I am quite pleased with how it's turned out so far. It's actually only my second wood working project after acquiring my Grandad's power/hand tools. 

It is a Japanese saw yes. Double edged for cross/rip cuts. The longer toothed side wasn't that great for rip cuts in this Oak but the smaller teeth are superb for cross cutting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    What finish are going to use?

JCA2550 said:

That's something I was going to ask here as I know nothing about wood finishing  :)
    Main body glue up done. A couple of small gaps to fill but nothing major, all pretty square. Last pic is it sat on some IKEA furniture feet 

Next job is to cut the slats just oversized and finish with a flush trim bit once glued in.. then roundover all outside edges which I'm a bit nervous about 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    That’s looking lovely, great job! Be a shame to cover all the lovely oak with Velcro!
    In terms of finish you could just oil it (with varying degrees of darkening the wood available) or for a bit of extra robustness you could use a hard wax oil like Osmo PolyX (super expensive), Fiddes, or Treatex.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Thanks @BigMonka - Yes it is. I may use thinner stuffed than I had planned just so less is covered.

Cheers, I'll look into those. Does the hard wax oil darken the wood? I quite like the colour as it is, although I wouldn't mind darkening the end grain of the slats.
    Just wanted to show what kind of cross cuts you can get with this Japanese style saw. It was relatively cheap as well, £18 I think.
    @JCA2550 ; ;)

Each slat needed a little trim before glueing in. 

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    JCA2550 said:

I can recommend osmo for oak. I did a load of work to my house over the last year or so and had lots of oak- stair case, window seats, ledge and brace doors, liners and architraves. Love osmo for oak
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    @strat84 That's an excellent, professional looking job. Consider me seriously impressed! As @rsvmark says, Osmo is great stuff and I've had really good results with it. Others on the forum may be able to contribute other suggestions of course. I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished with some pedals on board.  :-)
    Cheers guys and thanks for the kind words @richman6100 ; :3

Have just ordered some 5ml samples direct from Osmo, free of charge and no postage cost! I ordered clear satin and clear matt, just to try on a scrap piece. 
    I was wife and childless this afternoon so managed to get in the garden. Not a great deal of progress but all glueing is done and the slats are trimmed flush.

I decided to use a pattern bit instead of a flush trim so I could take very small amounts off at a time. There wasn't much to begin with but I didnt want any balls-ups at this stage  =)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    I've spent a bit of time testing roundover sizes on some scrap. I was planning on doing a 1/4" radius or perhaps a bit bigger but quite like the look of this at 3/16" -

• normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    Very nice indeed
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Looks sturdy! 
    Cheers chaps!

I managed to get in the garden last night and test a newly restored Stanley plane on this. It's given a lovely smooth finish and is pretty much ready for a coat of osmo  :)

• slowbonesslowbones Frets: 1
    Looks lovely. I 2nd Osmo for Oak - might be cheaper to go for a few coats of Danish oil though. Osmo can get expensive though but goes a long way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks @slowbones ;

Does danish oil colour the wood at all? I actually ordered some samples of osmo and tried it on some scrap. The osmo added a nice light tint, I wouldn't want it any darker though.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Lovely work my friend. Well done. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Lovely work my friend. Well done. 
    Thank you  :)
  • slowbonesslowbones Frets: 1
    strat84 said:
    Thanks @slowbones ;

Does danish oil colour the wood at all? I actually ordered some samples of osmo and tried it on some scrap. The osmo added a nice light tint, I wouldn't want it any darker though.
    It definitely darkens it a little but it is pretty neutral. It can be found quite cheaply so may be worth trialling it. 
    slowbones said:
    strat84 said:
    Thanks @slowbones ;

It definitely darkens it a little but it is pretty neutral. It can be found quite cheaply so may be worth trialling it. 
    Thanks again. Yes will definitely try a few different options before committing.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    That's fantastic, some skill there. I would have erred on the side of caution though and made it at least 4ft x 3ft  :)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter