Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rehousing a Thorpy pedal - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rehousing a Thorpy pedal

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• In all seriousness - why not include some decals? It’s a great product and a small gripe/difference of opinion, but I get it. I rotate a lot of pedals, and the knobs are often aligned differently, making a uniform or generic approach unworkable - especially in the middle of a gig with dodgy lighting and sweat in my eyes. 
    I love the etching and it’s very classy, but a blind bloke on a gig might want their own bodge. Be cool if it was accommodated - and classier than markers etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Mad ideas that might help from a practical viewpoint

Buy a couple of different coloured knobs so you know what knob is the one you usually want to tweak

Lots of real estate above the switch button - put a sticker on there with knob orientation if it helps you - heck you could even mark favourite positions .
    You could use a labelmaker if you have one or a sharpie on a label

This is what i often do, and i did with my Thorpys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Not particularly elegant but works for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Not particularly elegant but works for me.

That looks easy to do and works for me, thanks for the idea!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    Unless you have a massive amount of pedals on your board I don't see why it's so difficult to remember which knobs are which on your pedals.
    Maybe at first but over a short amount of time it sinks in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Much improved- that’s for all the ideas!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    On military hardware legending is often engraved and filled with enamel paint white or black as appropriate needs about half a millimetre deep engraving though so not always possible on thin sheet material. 
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    edited May 2023
    I had to print off a little guide for which knob did which on my peacekeeper.     It helped alot but   I do not understand why pedal makers make pedals that aren't easy to read in low light.

For gigging musicians being able to change settings quickly on stage is really important. This is especially the case for drive pedals, where you may want to use one pedal for different sounds.

In addition pedals with retina busting LED's ,stacked pots , and reversed  input/output jacks are just plain irritating to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    So many of my pedals have a blob of blu-tac over the leds to bring them to sub nuclear levels if brightness.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    normula1 said:
    So many of my pedals have a blob of blu-tac over the leds to bring them to sub nuclear levels if brightness.
    I don't understand why some makers do this. My Hudson Broadcast Dual could cause temporary blindness when both the LEDs were on.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    normula1 said:
    Painters masking tape works nicely - silly-bright leds glow through at a pleasingly normal level 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    TimmyO said:
    normula1 said:
    Painters masking tape works nicely - silly-bright leds glow through at a pleasingly normal level 
    I’ll try that on my Walrus Monument - if I play outdoors the LEDs can be seen from the International Space Station.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    normula1 said:
    I don't understand why some makers do this. My Hudson Broadcast Dual could cause temporary blindness when both the LEDs were on.
    A blob of candle wax on the led diffuses the light nicely. Quite neat, and nice to look at in the dark
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    roberty said:
    normula1 said:
    A blob of candle wax on the led diffuses the light nicely. Quite neat, and nice to look at in the dark
    Ooh top tip. Cheers!
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 535
    In full circle on this (I know you are all waiting eagerly for this news) I have made the original pedal work under the board. Sorry again @ThorpyFX you were right.  Making me consider a Warthog and a Fallout now...
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6038
    tFB Trader
    In full circle on this (I know you are all waiting eagerly for this news) I have made the original pedal work under the board. Sorry again @ThorpyFX you were right.  Making me consider a Warthog and a Fallout now...
    No need to apologise, they look chunkier than they are… photographic perception and reality differ in this case 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    ennspek said:
    Unless you have a massive amount of pedals on your board I don't see why it's so difficult to remember which knobs are which on your pedals.
    Maybe at first but over a short amount of time it sinks in.
    Because in the heat of a gig labelling cuts down the risk of changing the wrong one. Especially if a tweak is needed between strums.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    ThorpyFX said:
    mrkb said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    this is a depressing thread. 
    It shouldn't be taken that way. Ive got eight of your drive pedals, love the sounds, but struggle to see what each knob does - so am looking for a solution.
    i might have to come up with an option..... at least for the short term. maybe a printable magnet?

Depending how deep the etching is, you/OP could use blackening solutions brushed over them, then buff off the surronding areas again. You'd have to do this with the pedal disassembled to reduce the risk of damaging anything else, and to get good access to the top plate, but it should be pretty straightforwards and be pretty permanent. I've just done the same at the weekend on a ring-making course on some stamped initials on the inside of the ring, it's a bloody easy process!
    Black engravers wax would work pretty well too
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 535
    As an update to this - I now have 3 Thorpy pedals that sound great. Met Adrian at the Brighton Guitar Show and had a lovely chat with him - such a nice guy. Design is important to me but my ears should always win.