Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rehousing a Thorpy pedal - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rehousing a Thorpy pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Sorry! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks @ThorpyFX ;Will measure again and then use my Time Machine to delete this thread
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Yorkie said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    mrkb said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    this is a depressing thread. 
    It shouldn't be taken that way. Ive got eight of your drive pedals, love the sounds, but struggle to see what each knob does - so am looking for a solution.
    i might have to come up with an option..... at least for the short term. maybe a printable magnet?

Depending how deep the etching is, you/OP could use blackening solutions brushed over them, then buff off the surronding areas again. You'd have to do this with the pedal disassembled to reduce the risk of damaging anything else, and to get good access to the top plate, but it should be pretty straightforwards and be pretty permanent. I've just done the same at the weekend on a ring-making course on some stamped initials on the inside of the ring, it's a bloody easy process!
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I've done it with some inscriptions I had etched by hand with a battery (under)powered drill – you don't need the etching to be particularly deep.

One other thing I've used in the past is to fit colour-coded knobs, e.g. red for gain, yellow for tone, blue for volume, orange/green/purple for EQ, etc. 
    I like the colour-coding idea - you can also do this with chickenheads etc where they have an indent on them by simply filling that with nail varnish / acrylic paint-pen or similar for a more subtle effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Apparently the Bad Monkey can sound just like the Fat General. 
    But you can get a Fat General for just a fraction of the price
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited April 2023
    I use pink dots to mark my settings. I am in the set-and-forget camp (too busy singing) but I will use two dots to indicate a range. There's some spare dots in the Altoids tin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    I see the OP's reason for the thread, but I must say I've never had issue with reading @ThorpyFX pedals, probably because in the heat of a gig I try not to fiddle with anything, and if it's a dark stage I can't see any pedal labels and just hope for the best hahahhaha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    I use pink dots to mark my settings. I am in the set-and-forget camp (too busy singing) but I will use two dots to indicate a range. There's some spare dots in the Altoids tin

I tend to be set and forget, as the only other option my brain will accept is to be constantly fiddling with every setting, all the time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I don't own any ThorpyFX pedals and I don't mean to derail the thread, however on being able to read control labels - once I've familiarised myself with a pedal, I know what each control does and therefore don't need to read the label. In fact I'll qualify that slightly, the only pedal I currently use that I struggle with in this regard is my Neunaber Immerse, because several of the controls are used for different things depending on what reverb effect is being used.

In live and practice settings, it's much more important that the knob is clearly marked, so I can see at a glance how the pedal is set up. From the images above, Thorpy knobs look nice and clear.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    ewal said:
    I don't own any ThorpyFX pedals and I don't mean to derail the thread, however on being able to read control labels - once I've familiarised myself with a pedal, I know what each control does and therefore don't need to read the label. In fact I'll qualify that slightly, the only pedal I currently use that I struggle with in this regard is my Neunaber Immerse, because several of the controls are used for different things depending on what reverb effect is being used.

In live and practice settings, it's much more important that the knob is clearly marked, so I can see at a glance how the pedal is set up. From the images above, Thorpy knobs look nice and clear.
    Unfortunately if you change viewing angle they disappear.

It's a bit like the knobs on a Dual Rec. The knob "pointer" is a little indent in an otherwise shiny surface. Have to be at the perfect angle to see it, otherwise it's invisible.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    fretmeister said:
    Unfortunately if you change viewing angle they disappear.
    The pictures of the Team Medic posted above are very good and show the pedal in a near-ideal situation. This one is, I think, more representative of an everyday situation:

For the record, I am not complaining. My homemade pedals are not even labelled – I completely agree with Thorpy on this. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I don't care what it sounds like...the knobs have to be at 'o'clock' positions!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Set the controls to their 'normal' positions.  Take the knobs off and replace them so they're all at 12 o'clock.  Easy to see if any of them have been knocked.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I suppose, roughly speaking, using a pedal at home or in a studio allows plenty of tweaking and having it on regularly gigged board is more set and forget. Tweaking 'on the fly' more of a product of intermittent gigging and ever changing pedalboards. Tweaking my DOD Looking Glass on a gig was like a Krypton Factor test with fifty drunks jeering at you. Stacked pots and a reflective surface, joy. 
    The difficulty in reading Thorpy pedals has been pointed out from day one but he seems to be doing okay so none of us should lose sleep over it. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited April 2023
    Deleted
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Dibs on the old enclosure to rehouse a bad monkey and make a YouTube video of it leading to my own signature Thorpy Terrible Orangutan pedal
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I don't care what it sounds like...the knobs have to be at 'o'clock' positions!
    3.15 o clock.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    I like the Jam Pedals approach of a large font, which can be seen when standing up. Although the full word, rather than a single letter, would be handy! How about luminous paint, so the labels can be seen on a dark stage? #Customerexperience

• I don't care what it sounds like...the knobs have to be at 'o'clock' positions!
    3.15 o clock.
    Aaaargh!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Looking forward to the @ThorpyFX 'Old Duffer' range of pedals with bright red lettering in Comic Sans font and a giant magnifying glass fixed 8 inches above the pedal.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Looking forward to the @ThorpyFX 'Old Duffer' range of pedals with bright red lettering in Comic Sans font and a giant magnifying glass fixed 8 inches above the pedal.
    Given the demographic on here, there's a market for it!

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    Looking forward to the @ThorpyFX 'Old Duffer' range of pedals with bright red lettering in Comic Sans font and a giant magnifying glass fixed 8 inches above the pedal.
    He'd sell loads of those one here!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    I have to say, as much as I like the sounds of the early ThorpyFX pedals that I tried (Muffroom Cloud, Peacekeeper) I moved them on for two reasons:

1. too big and heavy
    2. difficult to use in low viz situations (without my glasses, in low light, etc.)

Obvs. this is just my personal perspective - many people love the form factor, esp. since they shrunk a little.

R.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    This post has (albeit unintentionally - and sorry to the OP I don't actually have any advice about rehousing pedals! ) sparked an interesting discussion. My view is that Thorpy pedals are really well designed and cool to look at, to the extent that I don't mind the extra size (and although they look bulky, when you put them next to a standard Boss pedal, they're not exactly huge anyway are they?).

Even though I do gig - so I can appreciate that practicality sometimes comes first - i wouldn't want the aesthetic to be compromised, because I like things to have their own style. 

Too many things are designed by computers and focus groups and are just boring. It's nice when something is made according to one person's vision, for good or bad. (I also love mass produced utilitarian stuff like an SD-1 so I think there's room for both.)

Also on a more prosaic note about the visibility thing, I use glow-in-the-dark dots (from ebay) to mark my settings on pedals for gigging purposes. That said I favour pedals with only a few knobs, for live purposes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
    This post has (albeit unintentionally - and sorry to the OP I don't actually have any advice about rehousing pedals! ) sparked an interesting discussion. My view is that Thorpy pedals are really well designed and cool to look at, to the extent that I don't mind the extra size (and although they look bulky, when you put them next to a standard Boss pedal, they're not exactly huge anyway are they?).

Even though I do gig - so I can appreciate that practicality sometimes comes first - i wouldn't want the aesthetic to be compromised, because I like things to have their own style. 

Too many things are designed by computers and focus groups and are just boring. It's nice when something is made according to one person's vision, for good or bad. (I also love mass produced utilitarian stuff like an SD-1 so I think there's room for both.)

Also on a more prosaic note about the visibility thing, I use glow-in-the-dark dots (from ebay) to mark my settings on pedals for gigging purposes. That said I favour pedals with only a few knobs, for live purposes.

Totally agree. All of the Thorpy pedals I've heard (I own 5 or 6) sound outstanding and the housings are really practical. I also think they look really beautiful and love the etched finishes. At worst I occasionally have to cover a bright blue led (or switch the pedal off) to read the legending but it's no big deal. Hope they stay looking the way they do! 

Magnetic legending might be the best solution, I suppose, but I've never really considered it an issue 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    mrkb said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    this is a depressing thread. 
    It shouldn't be taken that way. Ive got eight of your drive pedals, love the sounds, but struggle to see what each knob does - so am looking for a solution.
    Same. If it was one or 2 pedals I could memorise what each control was and it wouldn’t matter, but most of my live board is thorpy pedals and I’ve often needed to change something, looked down and thought “ooooh dear where is it?”
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 372
    edited April 2023
    I have no issues using Thorpy's pedals myself but a can see why some might struggle (at first , you soon get used to them) .   I have given this a lot of thought and put months of extensive research into this issue .  I believe i have found a solution , it does require the investment of a fine tip marker , or perhaps @ThorpyFX might consider supplying an official one to match the knob colours.

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Alvin said:
    I have no issues using Thorpy's pedals myself but a can see why some might struggle (at first , you soon get used to them) .   I have given this a lot of thought and put months of extensive research into this issue .  I believe i have found a solution , it does require the investment of a fine tip marker , or perhaps @ThorpyFX might consider supplying an official one to match the knob colours.
    Been there, done that, got my fingertips dirty. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Mad ideas that might help from a practical viewpoint

Buy a couple of different coloured knobs so you know what knob is the one you usually want to tweak

Lots of real estate above the switch button - put a sticker on there with knob orientation if it helps you - heck you could even mark favourite positions .
    You could use a labelmaker if you have one or a sharpie on a label

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited April 2023
    These photos of Gunshot's are making seriously want to buy a set of Sharpies.

...Kidding, of course, but the GAS for another Gunshot is strong, and a Fallout, and an FG, and a Camo! Oh dear.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Alvin said:

The best part of this is that the labelling has been colour-coordinated. Brilliant.