Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Do you still regularly listen to 70s music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Do you still regularly listen to 70s music?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    It's weird. It's only in the last decade I've changed like this. I think partly it's because I've found more music that fits what I was listening to that old stuff for. Led Zep were my favourite band from around 16-40, followed closely by Iron Maiden. 

For example I used to love All About Eve (okay 80s/90s), but what I was really grasping for is something heavier but with similar female vocals. And now those kind of bands exist, there's loads of female vocalists in metal now. 

That said there are favourites of my youth - contemporaries rather than vintage - that I still love, because I love their new material. Paradise Lost for example is for me a band making as good music as they ever have. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
    edited April 2023
    Yes indeed, it’s my decade for music, all the classic rock and prog stuff, Fairports, Thompson, Martyn, Drake, west coast kind of things, singer songwriter, fusion, Gong, Hawkwind, my favourite Dead decade, Bolan, Bowie. Although my interest actually starts mid 60s, Beatles, Stones, Who, Traffic etc. Outside of that I explore classical, folk and jazz but for ‘rock’ almost all mid 60s to mid 70s. All went a bit weird in the 80s if you ask me :-) and punk, new wave etc just passed me by (I’m 62)
    Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I only listen to music from 1870-1921. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yes, loads. Far too many artists to mention, so I'll pick just one who I've been listening to since 1975 and still do...

ABBA

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    When I look back, I still listen to all the music I've ever used to listen to, except some stupid macho NYHC/metal stuff that I've listened to briefly at 18-19 yrs.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Even my kids in their 20s love some 70s stuff 
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    Of course ! 70s was the sweet spot for me, from a music perspective, and there's so much music from that era I haven't discovered yet. 

I love listening to old favourites like Zeppelin, AC/DC, Sabbath, Zappa, and also finding new things through curated playlists, 6 music, etc.

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    rze99 said:
    Even my kids in their 20s love some 70s stuff 
    My 16 and 13 year old sons love plenty of classic rock. Thanks to streaming they are decade agnostic. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Yes, I listen to recorded music from The Seventies … and pretty much every other decade. 

Unable to single out just one artiste, I nominate the output of a label, ECM.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I mostly listen to 60s and 70s bands. 
    Small Faces, Humble Pie, Yardbirds/ Led Zep, Hendrix, Free, Sabbath, Bon Scott AC/DC, etc 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Mostly.
    (and 80s.)
    ((some 90s.))
    (((a smattering of noughties.)))
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    To a large degree than yes I do - Is it based on nostalgia or just music I like - Both - I was in my teens during the 70's but what I listened to at the time would mainly be commercial radio play list - Queen, Slade, Glam, some Thin Lizzy and other chart hits 

But at the time I did not know who Steely Dan were - ditto many other great bands that you find out about later as your interest develops 

However - During the 70's I developed an interest in Yes - Had most albums on vinyl - But you grow out of such bands and almost stop playing the albums - Then one day in HMV they had a 3 for £10 clear out on CD's and amongst my purchase was the Yes Album - I thought why not as I had not played it for years and did not have it on CD - Wow what a load of crap - I still have a soft spot for Steve Howe playing The Clap - But the rest was just not me anymore 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Yup, lots. The 70s was the era where I really got interested in music big time and I still have a load of 70s vinyl (or it’s the vinyl I owned at one time that’s been replaced with CDs ). Mostly rock, prog and jazz fusion. Yesterday I listened to Budgie, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Hawkwind, Can and ZZ Top. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Yes, I listen to lots of bands and musicians who are now in their 70's.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Joni Mitchell
    CSNY
    Santana
    Beefheart
    Zappa
    Free
    Blodwyn Pig
    Nick Drake
    John Martyn
    Roy Harper
    Gallagher
    PF
    Tangerine Dream
    Neu
    James Taylor
    BB King
    Freddie King
    Johnny Winter
    Quintessence
    Juicy Lucy
    Rod Stewart/The Faces
    Rolling Stones
    Ry Cooder

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    All the time. If I put music on it's more likely to be from the '70's than any other era. Not surprising really as my music tastes were formed then and music meant more to me then than it does these days.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    yes -  90% of "my music list" is pre 80s

its as much about "taking me back to a place"  as the content of the music
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    edited April 2023
    rlw said:
    Joni Mitchell
    CSNY
    Santana
    Beefheart
    Zappa
    Free
    Blodwyn Pig
    Nick Drake
    John Martyn
    Roy Harper
    Gallagher
    PF
    Tangerine Dream
    Neu
    James Taylor
    BB King
    Freddie King
    Johnny Winter
    Quintessence
    Juicy Lucy
    Rod Stewart/The Faces
    Rolling Stones
    Ry Cooder

Almost all of the above plus a lot more.  I am 68 now.  I spent my life every night after work one way or another listening to IMO some of the greatest, most original music that was being created in the post-war 20th century explosion.  Because that was what was there.   Looking back I was incredibly privileged to be in the right place just some of the time.    I still listen to what I think is the greatest music ever made as many nights as I can via recordings and youtube.  I never dreamed the internet would make it possible to access the sort of stuff I can get now with a click of the mouse.
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    edited April 2023
    jdgm said:
    rlw said:
    Joni Mitchell
    CSNY
    Santana
    Beefheart
    Zappa
    Free
    Blodwyn Pig
    Nick Drake
    John Martyn
    Roy Harper
    Gallagher
    PF
    Tangerine Dream
    Neu
    James Taylor
    BB King
    Freddie King
    Johnny Winter
    Quintessence
    Juicy Lucy
    Rod Stewart/The Faces
    Rolling Stones
    Ry Cooder

Almost all of the above plus a lot more.  I am 68 now.  I spent my life every night after work one way or another listening to IMO some of the greatest, most original music that was being created in the post-war 20th century explosion.  Because that was what was there.   Looking back I was incredibly privileged to be in the right place just some of the time.    I still listen to what I think is the greatest music ever made as many nights as I can via recordings and youtube.  I never dreamed the internet would make it possible to access the sort of stuff I can get now with a click of the mouse.

It was at the time (I'm 67) but as Guitars4 you said, listening back to some of it now it was crap. I've been disappointed a few times, almost to the point I wont play old stuff anymore because i don't want to spoil the memory of it being good.

I was a big fan of the Groundhogs at the time and thought 'Who Will Save The World?' was the bee's knees. I daren't play it now, just dont want to spoil the memories.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Yes, lots of mixed genre 70's music.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited April 2023
    I was born in ‘79.  Odds are if I’m listening to 70s music it’s Sly, Funkadelic or something like that.  But I like vintage rock, too, in doses.

70s music is way better than 80s music for the most part, though.  At least the mainstream versions of each.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Cranky said:
    I was born in ‘79.  Odds are if I’m listening to 70s music it’s Sly, Funkadelic or something like that.  But I like vintage rock, too, in doses.

70s music is way better than 80s music for the most part, though.  At least the mainstream versions of each.
    Mainstream versions yes, music in general, absolutely no way.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Lots - my favourite musical decade.  But I also like a lot of music from now.  There IS stuff I like from the '80s but it's probably my least favourite decade of the 7 I've been on this planet.