Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Do you still regularly listen to 70s music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Do you still regularly listen to 70s music?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
As in bands albums? 

It occurred to me that although I loved a lot of music back then and still own it on vinyl/CD, I don't really listen to it any more. The one band that I can think of that I still play is Gabriel era Genesis, which I still really like. It's also a bit of a cheat answer, but I love Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited project, so I have all the albums of him playing old Genesis songs live. Bloody love those shows!

Queen, dropped off somewhat for me although I still listen to NotW and Jazz a lot. 
Rush, I still get out Hemispheres or All the worlds a stage. I do still play their early 80s albums but that's a different decade!

The furthest I go back generally is the 80s, I was very into the Neo prog stuff and that is still my favourite music.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Love the Steve Hackett Revisited gigs !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Lots of 70s stuff for me from Hall and Oates to Zappa with Rush, Zep, Ted Nugent . Bowie , Iggy , Pat Travers. Neil Young etc in between.

Defintely my favourite era of music / films 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Love the Steve Hackett Revisited gigs !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited April 2023
    Absolutely - Steely Dan, Eagles, Doobies, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen, Toto, Journey etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    The band, the eagles, springsteen, neil young, pink floyd, CSN,the byrds, toto, the cars, punk all sorts.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    To the extent that I still listen to music at all (not very much, I prefer playing it) and to the extent that I listen to traditional pop and rock flavoured music (rather than classical or jazz), yes, 60s, 70s, and 80s, mostly 70s or early 80s.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Absolutely.
    CSNY, Frampton, Steely Dan, Sabbath, Wishbone Ash etc are regulars on my old turntable. I never was a punk fan though.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Yes, loads.

If for some bizarre reason the only music I could listen to was Bowie's 70s output, I could very much live with that.
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    Lots of. Television, Led Zep, Magazine, Thin Lizzy, The Fall, Genesis, Wire, Chrome, Joni Mitchell, XTC, The Pop Group etc etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I like streaming and playlists so if I have something on its quite often 1970s dub or roots reggae and recently particularly British reggae of the time like Matumbi, Steel Pulse, Aswad, Capital Letters, Misty in Roots. It's music that I wasn't aware of/didn't have access to/I was too young for at the time so a lot of this is new music to me. 
    Much as I don't like much prog (of any era) it's interesting that I can hear a lot shared sonic palette with reggae of the time - tape delays, phasers, wah,etc. 
    Some of my favourite music is post punk, particularly reggae influenced post punk like The Ruts, The Slits, The Police and all the 2 Tone era stuff (I'd live without Bad Manners). So that's late 1970s into the early 80s. 
    And I like a lot of heavy rock of the 1970s - Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen. By the mid 1980s heavy rock started to split into the more relentless metal side (Venom to Metallica,etc,etc) or people with bouffant hair (Bon Jovi, post Roth Van Halen,etc) and I lost interest. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    I dip in from time to time but it wouldn’t be a high percentage of what I listen to now.  Most of what I really like from that era is over familiar. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    They had music back then? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited April 2023
    Yes**, quite often - Scorpions, Wishbone Ash, Triumph, Starz, Moxy, Frank Marino, Lone Star, Black Sabbath, Rainbow to name a few I've definitely listened to in the last few weeks.

I guess I probably listen to more from the '80s and early '90s, then not so much from the later '90s and 2000s.  Then quite a lot again from the last 10 to 15 years.

(** Not Yes the band.  I have listened to them, but not recently.)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Loads

Sabbath, Purple, Free, Grand Funk, Wishbone Ash, Bang, Captain Beyond, Sir Lord Baltimore, Dust, Hawkwind, Budgie, Josefus, Edgar Broughton Band, Amon Duul 2, Buffalo, Mayblitz etc
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    There was just SO MUCH music in the 70s, spanning a range of tastes and styles. A lot of it was extremely well recorded too as DIY hadn't really taken off yet. Big plate reverbs, 16 tracks, early synths and so on. Rock, metal, funk, disco, jazz, reggae and later punk, new wave, ska revival, pop - Some of my most and least favourite stuff comes from the 70s.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Sporky said:
    They've made music since then?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    Forgot NEU!, Can, Faust, Cluster, Harmonia etc, seems I don't count them as 70s.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I listen to great music. Much of it happens to have been made in the 70s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Lots of it.

Chic, Van Halen, Sabbath, Average White Band, Queen, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Parliament, Funkadelic, The Commodores, Graham Central Station, Sly & the Family Stone, The Spinners, Bootsy's Rubber Band, Deep Purple, Stevie Wonder etc etc

And anything that Duck Dunn played on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    edited April 2023
    I listen a lot to John Martyn’s 70s albums. I occasionally listen to Wish You Were Here, DSOTM, some 70s Eric Clapton, Joni Mitchell and the first two Dire Straits albums.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Reverend said:
    Loads

.... Grand Funk ....
    Doh! I should have remembered Grand Funk Railroad, I've just been through their whole catalogue twice on my commutes of the past 2 weeks. I really got into the band early 80s.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Aerosmith , Van Halen  zep 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    Despite being too young to have been there to appreciate it first time around (born in 72) I've long loved Led Zep, Lizzy, Deep Purple, Sabbath etc. And I've listened to them a lot for much of my life.

However now in my grey years I find myself listening to much more brand new metal than anything else, and while I still will often listen to Black Sabbath, the others aren't my first choice anymore. 

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Yes.  Too much to list.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Late 60s early 70s was good for rock/guitar music. It makes sense. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Probably don't listen to anything that is not 70's to be honest.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • BtrcuBtrcu Frets: 96
    edited April 2023
    My top 20 from LastFM, fair few 70s bands in there:

Iron Maiden, Frank Zappa, Slipknot, Metallica, Buckethead, Slayer, Half Man Half Biscuit, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Anthrax, Manowar, Motörhead, Kiss, Nekrogoblikon, Scorpions, Misfits, Bad Religion, NOFX, Judas Priest.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    Sporky said:
    Only in black and white.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Despite being too young to have been there to appreciate it first time around (born in 72) I've long loved Led Zep, Lizzy, Deep Purple, Sabbath etc. And I've listened to them a lot for much of my life.

However now in my grey years I find myself listening to much more brand new metal than anything else, and while I still will often listen to Black Sabbath, the others aren't my first choice anymore. 
    You have basically described what I was trying to say with the original post! 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    No. I've never been good at or that interested in listening to older music.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience