Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Acoustic pickup recommendation - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Acoustic pickup recommendation

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Jetfire said:
    I've got an LR Baggs Anthem in my Faith Naked acoustic at the moment and, I'll be honest, it doesn't float my boat at all. 
    I briefly had the Anthem SL "economy" model. My objection to it was the absence of a proper balance control to crossfade between the Element UST and Lyric microphone.

I detest all UST devices.

I sold the Element SL and replaced it with a Lyric internal mic. Obviously, this lacks the sonic purity of a valve-powered ribbon microphone on a shock-proof stand but it gets my racket into the DAW. 

My musical collaborator has one of the expensive Taylor electro-acoustic guitars with their Expression system. Plug in. Sounds like an acoustic guitar. It is easy to understand why a lot of stage performers like them.

I take ICBM's point about IR modelling but you might as well trigger that from an electric guitar with a Fishman Powerbridge.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    ICBM said:
    External mics are great. Internal ones just cause feedback problems and sound odd because they're picking up a sound you never normally hear from outside the guitar.
    Distinction should be made between the condenser-mic-on-a-gooseneck efforts found on, say, the Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup and the PZM-like L. R. Baggs Lyric.

Tommy Emmanuel uses a combination of UST with a strong dash of internal condenser mic. He manages to make that combination sound good without resorting to IR jiggerypokery. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter