Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What might be the best strings for an all mahogany guitar? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What might be the best strings for an all mahogany guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Most strings will sound alright at some point in their life span. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • moremore Frets: 222
    edited April 2023
    Mellish said:
    So what were you looking for that you thought an all hog would give you?

Thank you for asking - the thing is my favourite bit of pure guitar music is the intro to ‘Gimme Shelter’ which is obviously quite dark, so I thought it would suit all mahogany. Also there is something about the unembellished tonal purity of mahagony  which I thought would give my own little chord arrangements more definitive clarity.

But the question for any psychiatrists out there might well be - why was I so mental, as to trade in all my other guitars and max out on my credit card, for one used 3.5k all hog special? Given that wood’s obvious limitations.

And could any please recommend what the very best strings might be for it, please?

I have no idea what would be the  best sounding strings on your guitar . However , I only stock strings that I like . Try  my 13-56 80/20 Bronze, you can find them on the link below. If you don't like them ,will give you a refund. leave a note on the order    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I have Newtone Masterclass phosphor bronze round-core 11s on my all-mahogany Eggle parlour. It's certainly not underwhelming or lacking dynamics - quite the opposite, it's almost *too* responsive in a way, it's quite easy to overdo it with hard strumming. It's not at all 'dark' either - it doesn't have the big, full-range sound of my Gibson Dove, it's a bit of a one-sound midrange guitar, but has plenty of top-end.

I don't like Monels at all - dull and one-dimensional, and I don't really think they suit mahogany guitars than much more than spruce ones, they just sound less awful on them :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
    edited April 2023

I have no idea what would be the  best sounding strings on your guitar . However , I only stock strings that I like . Try  my 13-56 80/20 Bronze, you can find them on the link below. If you don't like them ,will give you a refund. leave a note on the order    

Thank you ! I had been leaning towards the Martin Monels from Strings Direct but yours certainly  looks like perhaps a more wholesome shop.

I do have one reservation though, and it’s not a joke, given that I only really want to fit one set of strings (partly for wear and tear reasons).

…Why should I risk investing in a mere £8.95 set of strings for a three and half grand sculpture of exotic wood: when I would probably be more reassured by a more respectable seeming £12.99 set?, in terms of expense, that is.

Sorry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited April 2023

…Why should I risk investing in a mere £8.95 set of strings for a three and half grand sculpture of exotic wood: when I would probably be more reassured by a more respectable seeming £12.99 set?, in terms of expense that is

Sorry.
    If you want further reassurance, I can flog you a set of strings for £49.99. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    Martin Monels a match made in heaven with all Mahogany guitars,
    but they need to bed in for a time 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    Kilgore said:

…Why should I risk investing in a mere £8.95 set of strings for a three and half grand sculpture of exotic wood: when I would probably be more reassured by a more respectable seeming £12.99 set?, in terms of expense that is

Sorry.
    If you want further reassurance, I can flog you a set of strings for £49.99. 
    Given the importance to me of this fine piece of work, I would actually be possibly able to accept your interesting offer, if you were kind enough to be a little more specific as to their exact nature.

Would the price include a professional level of figment as well?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    Another vote for monels for mahogany. I put Martin MM12 on everything mainly. They work out so much cheaper because of their longevity and I like them. Except my resonator upon which they don't sound nice to my ears. But on my dread, OM, small all mahogany - monels. I like the steely complex tone for the old man's blues and ragtime which I predominantly play. It seems more in character for the recordings of my favourite 1930's and 40's players who would have been playing on......... monels!! Phosphor-Bronze only introduced in the 1970's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markj said:
    Agreed.Tried all types of strings over 10 yrs on my Martin 00015SM.Kept going back to Martin Monels.Not great at first but let them settle in.Then there great!.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    On this OM-28 Re-imagined EJ16s give me exactly what I want

@smellyfingers I'd say arm yourself with a bunch of different brands, types and just work your way through. That's all it is, and you'll know when you get the sound.
    PB
    Monel
    Silk & Steel
    Nickel Bronze

Good luck mate

:) 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
    I have Monels on an all mahogany Atkin OM. They sound good with a bright and balanced response.
    edited April 2023
    markj said:
    Thank you for the reassurance! and really no hard feelings at all if they don’t work out.

But given that I don’t want to be wearing the instrument (or my sanity) by fitting infinite string combinations: could you kindly inform us what gauge of string diameter you deploy on your axe  with these Martin Monels- so as to get the ideal chord resonance?:))

But if you don’t have that info, no worries, I’ll try to experiment myself
  • Once again many thanks for all the tips.

To summarise I  tried Martin Bronze strings and D’ EJ16’s on this all-hog guitar and neither sounded quite right, ie somewhat dissonant, as.if they were burying a somewhat better sound.

So I took some of the advice and fitted Martin Monels and the result for me is a much richer and  fuller sound, more in tune with the nature of the wood, although I guess some ears might find the tone a bit muddier or murkier

So thanks again, and it’s a big relief that I now won’t  have to murder anyone for giving me the incorrect string advice. That would have been a real drag.

Here’s a pic of the.instrument.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    ICBM said:
    I have Newtone Masterclass phosphor bronze round-core 11s on my all-mahogany Eggle parlour. It's certainly not underwhelming or lacking dynamics - quite the opposite, it's almost *too* responsive in a way, it's quite easy to overdo it with hard strumming. It's not at all 'dark' either - it doesn't have the big, full-range sound of my Gibson Dove, it's a bit of a one-sound midrange guitar, but has plenty of top-end.

I don't like Monels at all - dull and one-dimensional, and I don't really think they suit mahogany guitars than much more than spruce ones, they just sound less awful on them :).
    Newtone keep popping up on my radar hmmm....