Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What might be the best strings for an all mahogany guitar? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What might be the best strings for an all mahogany guitar?

What's Hot
SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
I mean a reasonably high end instrument, similar to a Guild M20 or a Martin D15.

I ask, because the special tonal characteristics of all hog acoustics could mean that, despite their certain good points, they may be given to sounding less ‘colourful’ or even one dimensional compared with other combination wood guitars.

Therefore the particular choice of type and brand of strings may be especially important to all hogs.

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Thanks!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    tonal beauty is in the ear of the beholder :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Do you want your all-hog guitar to sound like a second-rate imitation of a conventional spruce-top instrument?  Then something bright, probably brass. Martin MA140 or D'Angellico Prohibition Bronze 85/15 or SIT Golden Bronze.

Or do you want tour guitar to sound like what it is - a different instrument with a different sound? D'Addario Nickel Bronze (might be a bit too dark), or Martin Retros.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertie said:
    tonal beauty is in the ear of the beholder :) 
    agreed, but all hogs may be similar to Meryl Streep in some ways.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Yep, what @bertie there said.

No-one can tell you. Just pick up as many brands as you can. Phosphor bronze, 80/20, hex and roundcore, and see which sound best to you.

:) 
    edited April 2023
    @Tannin ;; Martin MA140. Happy days with those on the HD-28 I had. Put them on this Martin OM-28 Re-imagined and meh.

D
    edited April 2023
    bertie said:
    tonal beauty is in the ear of the beholder  
    agreed, but all hogs may be similar to Meryl Streep in some ways.
    what one considers "dark and dull"  and recommend a bright zingy string to counter,  others might enjoy and go for a more neutral palleted string

personally I don't like all hog, all a bit "underwhelming"  and no dynamic response, bit like stringing up a dinner plate 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I like bog standard D'addario 80/20s.

To my ears they add a bit of zing to the trebles. I'm easily pleased though and not much of a string connoisseur. :)
  • Tannin said:
    Do you want your all-hog guitar to sound like a second-rate imitation of a conventional spruce-top instrument?  Then something bright, probably brass. Martin MA140 or D'Angellico Prohibition Bronze 85/15 or SIT Golden Bronze.

Or do you want tour guitar to sound like what it is - a different instrument with a different sound? D'Addario Nickel Bronze (might be a bit too dark), or Martin Retros.

That’s a really good point. My instinct was to go with brighter sounding strings, but if I wanted a bright sound why did I purchase an all hog guitar in the first place?
    So what were you looking for that you thought an all hog would give you?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    I use D'addario XT on everything. 
    I also use one gauge lower than recommended (so 11s instead of 12s on OM) and find that it is not only easier to play but sounds noticeably better. NOTICEABLY !!
    My instinct was to go with brighter sounding strings, but if I wanted a bright sound why did I purchase an all hog guitar in the first place?
    same reason you're asking us about strings ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @thomasross20 ; try their XS.

I tried XT and XS and (to MY ear) the XS had more zing. 

Say whaaaat - now you mention, I recall seeing those but shied away due to price. Another thing I'll have to checknout : )
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    Always worth trying a set of monel's on an all mahogany. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Gandalph said:
    Always worth trying a set of monel's on an all mahogany. 
    Yes.
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
    edited April 2023
    Mellish said:
    So what were you looking for that you thought an all hog would give you?

Thank you for asking - the thing is my favourite bit of pure guitar music is the intro to ‘Gimme Shelter’ which is obviously quite dark, so I thought it would suit all mahogany. Also there is something about the unembellished tonal purity of mahagony  which I thought would give my own little chord arrangements more definitive clarity.

But the question for any psychiatrists out there might well be - why was I so mental, as to trade in all my other guitars and max out on my credit card, for one used 3.5k all hog special? Given that wood’s obvious limitations.

And could any please recommend what the very best strings might be for it, please?

• mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    GTS from LA talk to them
    @Smellyfingers ; the reason I asked is that your answer may give us more idea of the sound you're after.

So the darker the better? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    One tip: if you try the Martin Retros, do not take them off for at least 10 days no matter how they sound! Retros can and often do sound awful when you first fit them and they take a good while to settle down. Don't make a judgement until you have heard them at their best. 

I don't think we can nominate a "best" string for this guitar until we have some more data. In particular, I reckon you need to try one set each of the main string families - phosphor bronze, brass, and nickel alloy. There is lots of variation within each of these three too - for example the D'Addario Nickels are quite different to the Martin Retros - but first things first.
    If after dark, you can rule out D'Addario EJ16, XT, XS, DR Sunbeams, Elixir, 80/20 brass.....

I'd say Monels are your best bet. 

• mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    D’addario nickel bronze maybe
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @mgaw ; yes that's the one I was struggling to remember. Thanks

If you are going down the nickel road 

* Martin Retros are probably the lightest sounding nickel alloy string. They are Monel, a nickel-copper alloy, about two-thirds nickel. 
    * SIT American Roots are also made of Monel and probably sound similar to the Martin ones. I have a set here to try but haven't put them on yet. 
    * GHS White Bronze are made from Alloy 52, a 50-50 iron-nickel alloy. I don't know what to expect from these. I have a set as yet untried.
    * D'Addario nickel bronze. Quite a lot darker than the Retros. I prefer them, but I suspect that that is simply that they happen to suit the guitar I'm using them on. (It's a Guild, Red Spruce over mahogany.)
    * John Pierce Pure Nickel Said to be the darkest of all. Another one I haven't tried yet. 

My Guild is due for a string change. I think I might try the JPs or the GHS ones next.
    edited April 2023
    Mellish said:
    @Smellyfingers ; the reason I asked is that your answer may give us more idea of the sound you're after.

So the darker the better? 

I think so now, because darkness might be all-hogs special quality.

I can now reveal what the issue is: that it is a Collings OM1:which I have observed generally seem to have a  somewhat more complicated ‘fruity’ tone than other makes,  which I would’nt want to murder with overly flat strings.

To be clear - I am really grateful for all the knowledgable suggestions, and I do mean really,

However, the difficult conundrum people are facing now is: what string might accentuate the Collings darker properties, but also have sufficient brightness or ‘sparkiness’ to not dull down this very precious instrument?

I apologise, I only know enough about strings to know that the Company recommended D’ EJ16s currently fitted, do not make the most of a specifically all mh instrument. They simply do not!

Sorry!
    Sadly it's not a cheap experiment, either! 
    Kudos to those trying this out. 
    Best strings would be those that sound good even toward end of life obvs, Monel sound interesting
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
      Monel sound interesting
    hmm not sure that's going to get past their marketing people 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    Sadly it's not a cheap experiment, either! 
    Kudos to those trying this out. 
    Best strings would be those that sound good even toward end of life obvs, Monel sound interesting
    Yes, I agree and certainly  Kudos to those who would go through this difficult thought process - with no pay off other than perhaps caring for the future of a somewhat historic instrument!
    Those EJ16s, are they reasonably fresh? Or tired and dull? 

• Tannin said:
    Those EJ16s, are they reasonably fresh? Or tired and dull? 

They are nearly new.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    I like Newtone masterclass (hex core) PB on just about anything.

IMO you have to like the Monel tone if you're going to put it on anything at all. It's not as if it's magical on some guitars.

Only one way to find out, buy:
    D'addario PB
    D'addario 80/20
    Martin Monel 

Then if you like one of those then try other brands from that family.