Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mac Mini M2 base version - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mac Mini M2 base version

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4451
    And MacOS is based on Unix (OpenBSD to be exact)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    And MacOS is based on Unix (OpenBSD to be exact)
    Yes, UNIX, Darwin is derived from NextStep, itself derived from BSD. OpenBSD is also a descendant of BSD, but Darwin is not OpenBSD.

It's called swap. I believe Linux uses pre-emptive swap whereas Windows uses least recently used algorithm 
    Indeed. Linux swappiness is tunable through sysctl kernel parameters. The point that @monquixote made was _compressed_ memory. Additionally, Linux has kernel same-page merging (KSM), very useful for hosts running many similar virtual machines, for example, with KVM - another form of memory compression :)

I believe the difference is that Macs have integrated compression hardware so it doesn't place additional load on the CPU.
    I wasn't aware Mac hardware had that ! Intel and POWER architectures have both had hardware-accelerated memory compression at various points.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter