Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Jason Isbell - Weathervanes - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Jason Isbell - Weathervanes

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
New record ahoy! Out in June, 2 songs on YouTube so far and sounding lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhRWogr9JlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSI0uuKGhTk

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Ooh. I finally properly listened to him a year or two ago. Will definitely be getting on this.

Another one too:

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    @English_bob yeah MOTM was my second link but it didn't work for some reason. Anyway, he's phenomenal artist and decent guy, not to mention incredible guitar player. I wish I could go and listen to the back catalogue for the first time again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @English_bob yeah MOTM was my second link but it didn't work for some reason. Anyway, he's phenomenal artist and decent guy, not to mention incredible guitar player. I wish I could go and listen to the back catalogue for the first time again

He's a pretty special lyricist as well. There's really heavy stuff in a lot of his songs, but he rarely comes off as preachy, or maudlin, or sentimental. Just the whole thing, really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1916
    edited March 2023
    Really like the new track Middle of the Morning. He's on my list of artists I'm desperate to see live.

Some standout tracks of his that I like - either under his own moniker or with the 400 Unit - for those who maybe aren't familiar:

Travelling Alone
    Alabama Pines
    If We Were Vampires
    Last Of My Kind
    Something More Than Free

He's a pretty special lyricist as well. There's really heavy stuff in a lot of his songs, but he rarely comes off as preachy, or maudlin, or sentimental. Just the whole thing, really.
    His wife, Amanda Shires, is also a very talented musician. I was excited to see that she features on a track in the upcoming album from my favourite band of all time - Matchbox Twenty - their first new music in over a decade. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Really like the new track Middle of the Morning. He's on my list of artists I'm desperate to see live.

Some standout tracks of his that I like - either under his own moniker or with the 400 Unit - for those who maybe aren't familiar:

Travelling Alone
    Alabama Pines
    If We Were Vampires
    Last Of My Kind
    Something More Than Free
    Great selection. Something More Than Free is a personal fave of mine too. 

I'll add Elephant to the list, if I may.
    Guys... how can you make a list without Cover Me Up? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    BRISTOL86 said:

Travelling Alone
    Alabama Pines
    If We Were Vampires
    Last Of My Kind
    Something More Than Free
    Great selection. Something More Than Free is a personal fave of mine too. 

I'll add Elephant to the list, if I may.
    Oooh yes one of my favourites!

Guys... how can you make a list without Cover Me Up? 
    I deliberately omitted it as it seems to be the one everyone knows if they only know one!
  • Southeastern is pretty essential, to be fair.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Never Gonna Change when he was in Drive-By Truckers is great southern rock fayre. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    I've got tickets to see him in October.  I can't wait after listening to the Death Wish track.  I have some of his other albums too.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Top guy 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    If it takes a lifetime? Genius.
  • DeftDeft Frets: 28
    Not from Weathervanes, but another new (previously unreleased) track:

Hopefully another European tour soon, the postponed Reunions tour was only last year

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    I've seen him live a few times and heartily recommend that people see him. He's an awesome slide guitar player too, something that's often overlooked. Southeastern is one of my favourite albums ever. Worth checking out Decoration Day from his time with the Drive By Truckers (before they booted him out). His life story is one of highs, lows, redemption and then even greater highs. Despite this rollercoaster ride, he seems to have his feet firmly on the ground and even his most 'country' music never strays in to that sickly sentimental dross which permeates that particular genre.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    He has a documentary out now on HBOMax. Details the writing and recording of Reunions.
    Deft said:
    Hopefully another European tour soon, the postponed Reunions tour was only last year

Really hope so, an artist I’m really desperate to see
    LPManic said:
    He has a documentary out now on HBOMax. Details the writing and recording of Reunions.
    Just finished watching the documentary. 

Incredible. I cried at least three different times by the end. Recommended.
    LPManic said:
    LPManic said:
    Just finished watching the documentary. 

Incredible. I cried at least three different times by the end. Recommended.
    Assuming this is something you have to pay for/subscribe to to access @LPManic ?
    It's on HBOMax here in Europe yeah @BRISTOL86 ;
    I'm still in love with the songs so far, and the documentary is well worth the time. 

I also note the brilliance of the weathervane on the album sleeve - only able to point SE, and includes the Gibson headstock tulip at the bottom as well as the cast iron pan and band emblem. Not sure where the broken knife fits in but I assume there's a lyrical reference somewhere. 
    2 more since the last post in here. This might be shaping up to be one of his best records

It's going to be a great record. The guy is in his prime. Certainly the best songwriter in rock music out there at the moment. Middle of the morning is one of my favourite songs in a long time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    LPManic said:
    It's going to be a great record. The guy is in his prime. Certainly the best songwriter in rock music out there at the moment. Middle of the morning is one of my favourite songs in a long time.
    Never mind rock - I think he's the best of his generation, full stop. 

LPManic said:
    Never mind rock - I think he's the best of his generation, full stop. 

What other genres are there? Ha! Joking, kinda.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
    had a weekend full of listening to Weathervanes. Another masterpiece from Isbell. Favourite track currently is King Of Oklahoma.
     Not sure where the broken knife fits in but I assume there's a lyrical reference somewhere. 

Was it twenty-seven times, or was it twenty-nine?
    I heard the blade broke off inside the man
    And he took a while to die

It's in "Cast Iron Skillet".

Great stuff Still on my first proper listen through.

Yeah, I’m not sure where it sits relative to his others but it’s certainly a fantastic record
    edited June 2023
    I've listened to the first half of it repeatedly and it is fantastic. King of Oklahoma my current favourite but I think Middle of the Morning is one of his best ever songs. Such a tight lyric. And a gorgeous solo.

My only critique (as an average fan) is that sometimes the rhymes seem to fit just a bit too nicely (kind of like what I just did there).

I will listen to the second half on repeat later this week.

One of the best out there right now. Great to have so much good music at the moment,.
    Yeah, I agree MOTM and Cast Iron Skillet are among his very best. Utterly gorgeous guitar playing in both too