Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Feline Guitars - working with Judas Priest - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Feline Guitars - working with Judas Priest

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901

Full article on the repair here - LONG article!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 26reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    What a great thread really enjoyed reading that fantastic job. I know where I am coming for my set ups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Wow, you did an unbelievable job on that guitar! A fantastic read with great picture support. You guys are the best!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wow! :ar!
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • That's great. Thanks for sharing.
  • Now THAT is proper craftsmanship.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6038
    tFB Trader
    loved reading that, thanks for sharing. There is something great about seeing a guitar saved.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    World Class.
    Well done Jonathan and Tom.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6806
    tFB Trader
    Awesome job!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Gobsmacking !
  • And that is why my guitars go from Manchester to London and back every time they need attention
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Brilliant work.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Excellent work sir.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    I've recently moved from Sutton which was, traffic permitting, about 15-20 minutes from Feline HQ in South Croydon, to Glasgow.
    It's nice here, the air is undeniably clearer, the pupil teacher ratio's at my daughters schools have improved greatly and we have been able to buy a nicer house in a better neighbourhood for slightly less money

The only downside is the distance from Feline..

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Wow.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That was fantastic thanks for posting that.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Really got into reading that.  Great pics and workmanship.
  • Stunning restoration and blinding job done.

He must be made up with a result like that.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Well done Jon. Superb work and great blog
  • That is mindbogglingly good.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    What an absolutely stunning job!

Two things I really noticed -

Despite the severity of the break, the old repair with the splints had actually just about held, and the neck had broken in a new place. This shows once and for all that a repaired headstock done like that is actually stronger than an unbroken one.

And secondly, why don't Gibson do something about it in the first place?! Perhaps like fitting a pair of carbon fibre rods under the headstock facing…

The only thing I didn't like was replacing the old Twentieth Anniversary inlay - I thought that was part of the guitar's history and should have been kept, even though worn.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    What an absolutely stunning job!

Two things I really noticed -

The only thing I didn't like was replacing the old Twentieth Anniversary inlay - I thought that was part of the guitar's history and should have been kept, even though worn.
    Unfortunately the levelling of the board was definitely going to completely go through the old engraving, so we would have lost it anyway unless we could extract it, and when we tried to extract the old one it broke into flakes (layers of shell delaminated) and wasn't going to go back neatly at all, so we had to make that call....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Fair enough!

:)

At the end of the day making something right is always more important than keeping it original, if you can't do both. (In my opinion.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Wow. Amazing job.

Although...the most heartbreaking part of that for me was that somebody had broken a Washburn N4.
    <space for hire>
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Nicely done Jon.   Great work.

• fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Beautiful work Jonathan.

Must come and visit you again soon.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2148
    tFB Trader
    Great job! :)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    Stunning piece of work
  • Have another 'Wow' for your collection.
  • Fantastic work as ever.
  • Fantastic, thanks for sharing.