Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Back in the workshop - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Back in the workshop

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    Any of those left?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    edited June 2023
    Great to hear you are back Graham, your work is always inspiring and the beating heart of the forum diy builders 

If you are doing those pig boards with a tele neck joint I am in. LOL

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    tFB Trader
    grungebob said:
    Any of those left?

That one sold, but there will be some more in about four weeks time. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    GSPBASSES said:
    grungebob said:
    Any of those left?

Ah yes, more temptation (just what I need). I’d buy one of everything if I could, they all look so good! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    GSPBASSES said:
    grungebob said:
    Any of those left?

I’ll make myself a reminder, thanks. 
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    grungebob said:
    Any of those left?

One of these with a 6 inline would be absolute killer.
    edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    Back from my holiday, it was very nice to get away from the workshop must do it more often.

For those interested in a RB6, there's 2 being made at the moment, it will be a few weeks before I do any more work on them, as I do have a bit of a backlog to clear first.

This one has had the the cap glued on, it's fully chambered and will be a thin line with a F hole. Haven't decided on the pick up configuration yet, but if somebody is interested in buying it, they can decide what pick ups.

A RB6 having its cap glued on, this will be almost identical to the one above, as they were both cut off the same plank of wood.

The RB6 style of guitar I make do you have a Fender Strat neck pocket, so if anybody wants one with a Fender neck that is very possible. But I should add I don't sell them body only.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

tFB Trader
    Have a couple of hours to spare this morning, so I decided to make the first outline jig of the Novo Maris. It's not going to be an exact copy, but very close. I will need to buy another sheet of MDF before I can do anymore. I need to make another jig for the chambering to make them Thinlines with an F hole. I won't need to make a jig for the neck pocket or pickup pockets etc, as I will use the jigs I already have. I will most likely have to make a jig for the pick guard, I searched online, and no third-party companies make one. 

It will be sometime before I actually make any of these, I am semi retired, only putting in two, maybe three hours a day, no more and sometimes a lot less, I also have quite a backlog of work to do.

The rough outline.

Run it through the bandsaw, I've already decided I don't like the shape of the neck pocket, I will round it off as I did on the RB6.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    Haven't done very much over the last couple of months, but here's some photos of the guitars that I've done recently.

A TC, with a Mahogany body fully chambered with a pretty Walnut cap, the neck is flame Maple with a rosewood fingerboard.

The link below are photos of the finished guitars.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/253922/gsp-x-2#latest

The next two guitars, my version of the RB6 fully chambered, these will be going out to the customers in the next day or so.

Body weight 3lb 1oz.

Body weight 2lb 15oz.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Some crackers there Grahame 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    That’s a very pretty Walnut top - should be stunning when that’s finished.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    That’s a very pretty Walnut top - should be stunning when that’s finished.
    There is another one almost identical that will be finished sometime in the near future.

The only difference is the first one is Fender scale, the next one will be Gibson scale, possibly a third one as the walnut caps were cut off of a large block and there is enough to do one more cap.

• MikePMikeP Frets: 22
    Great looking builds. Where you getting your Brazilian mahogany blanks? You think they make a better guitar than the African?
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    I buy all my mahogany from David Dyke, I don’t think there’s any difference between African mahogany and Brazilian mahogany sound wise. You used to be able to buy very lightweight African mahogany, but now it’s just as heavy as Brazilian. I should point out the only African mahogany I use is Khaya, I find most the other African mahoganies just doesn’t sound right. Khaya  mahogany is becoming more and more difficult to buy now, as it’s on the Cites endangered list and no more trees are supposed to be cut down. This also means the price has gone through the roof, it’s almost doubled in price over the last year. I should point out that David Dyke has several hundred Khaya body blanks in stock and most likely the same number in Brazilian mahogany.

Although there is a very big difference when working the two mahoganies, the Brazilian mahogany machines much better than the African. African mahogany can be a bit fluffy when machining. It’s also quite difficult to sand out the fluff some times.

• MikePMikeP Frets: 22
    I love going to David dyke! Thanks for the wisdom. I have an African mahogany of some sort 2 part body which I was vaguely thinking of a hollow guild aristocrat type build but I've never built an electric.