Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oil City Pickups: Offer for tFB members - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oil City Pickups: Offer for tFB members

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
edited February 2023 in Guitar tFB Trader

I’m celebrating ten years of continuous production of my Blackbird humbucker set.

Designed to meet the needs of Black Machine and the demands of technical metal it was based on some of my existing pickups ‘tweaked’ to provide punch and above all clarity both under huge levels of gain or totally clean (or any gain levels between). Characterised as a PAF on steroids it has been very kindly described as the best all round metal pickup ever made. I wouldn’t agree with that, as I think it’s way more versatile than just metal.

The Blackbird has been my top selling humbucker pretty much since it was introduced, and is instantly recognisable in its clear bobbin deconstructedness … er … is that a word?

In this year of celebrating the Blackbird I’m going to be producing some special very limited-edition versions, and none will be more limited than the first four only sets.

I have been making the Blackbird in ‘Afterburner’ finish for some while, but consistently high-quality red wire has become practically impossible to source. So regretfully, I am discontinuing the red wire/clear bobbin afterburner set for the foreseeable future. I will go out with a bang however: I wound the last of our stock wire into just four sets of 10th anniversary Blackbird Afterburners. These will come with a special authenticity panel in the box lid and will all have unique serial numbers.

I will be making more blackbirds with the normal clear bobbin/copper wire finish … but those who get these pickups will be getting something rather special.

PM me for details - literally just four sets! 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    Not my thing but what a fantastic offer. Kudos to you Sir. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    The Blackbird is an incredible pickup, installed one in my friend Jules old 80s Hohner SuperStrat, sounded phenomenal !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited February 2023 tFB Trader
    One of four sets gone - 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    The Blackbird is an incredible pickup, installed one in my friend Jules old 80s Hohner SuperStrat, sounded phenomenal !
    Thank you sir :-) ti's a pickup that has sold very well all over the world (Japanese rockers in particular seem fond of them. 

If folks miss out on the red ones - there will be other offers coming up that include the Blackbird Ulfbehrt (Ceramic son of Blackbird), the traditional 'copper coil' Blackbirds, and the Blackbird Pro sets that include extra shielding for the stadium rockers with gigantic equipment (ooooer missus)  :-)  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Two sets from four gone - 

• Sent you a pm Ash
  • PM’d.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi Ash, I PM'd yesterday afternoon (about 4pm).  Not sure if you saw it/it came through :)
    tFB Trader
    Sorry mate - had bloody IT difficulty on the very day I bunged out the promotion - will go check

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Have these all sold now?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Kalimna said:
    Have these all sold now?
    Best way to find out is to PM da man and join whatever queue has formed.*

This offer is not mentioned on the OCP website. (I checked.) 

As a serial snoozer/loser, I suggest that the best approach is to declare your firm interest and offer immediate payment.

* I am not in the queue. Three other Fretboarders might be. 
    Be seeing you.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Kalimna said:
    Have these all sold now?
    Best way to find out is to PM da man and join whatever queue has formed.*

This offer is not mentioned on the OCP website. (I checked.) 

As a serial snoozer/loser, I suggest that the best approach is to declare your firm interest and offer immediate payment.

* I am not in the queue. Three other Fretboarders might be. 
    Yes, that is what i should have done :) 
    P.M. sent
    tFB Trader
    All four of the Afterburners are gone - but don't despair - the next wave of the Blackbird anniversary promo is just around the corner. This will be the standard copper wire/clear bobbin versions you all know and love.
    Watch this space! :-). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    I have no idea on pick ups as I only have a Jet brand Tele with it's stock pick ups. How would a person even know if these,or others are 'better' for them? Seems a minefield to me.
    edited March 2023 tFB Trader
    I have no idea on pick ups as I only have a Jet brand Tele with it's stock pick ups. How would a person even know if these,or others are 'better' for them? Seems a minefield to me.
    Simple answer: if you are pleased with your current pickups and they make sounds you like ... then don't mend what ain't broke - be happy and enjoy your guitar. You've saved money!
    If you feel your guitar could be better, then ask some advice from others on here.
    Blackbirds are humbuckers so if your Tele is stock like a vintage Fender - they won't fit without modifying your guitar anyway.
    Ash 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    • I have no idea on pickups
    • I only have a Jet brand Tele
    • stock pick ups.
    Well, that is three things that you can stop apologising for right away.  :3

How would a person even know if these or others are 'better'?
    Firstly, "better" is subjective.

Secondly, a pickup is just one variable in the chain between brain and loudspeaker. The player, the amp the venue all influence the finished sound.

Thirdly, not all T type guitars are created equal. 

My poshest one imitates the 1951 Fender. It is perfect for some music and utterly wrong for others. For lowdown, distorted filth, I am better served by a secondhand Chapman ML3 Traditional v.2 with high output rail/track pole, hum-cancelling pickups.

As you listen to recorded music, you may wonder why famed Telecaster users can produce sounds that your Jet guitar can not match. This is where aftermarket replacement pickups enter the picture.

TBH, the difference between a low budget lookalike pickup and a super duper aftermarket replacement one is unlikely to be detectable unless heard through professional quality amplification.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    • stock pick ups.
    Well, that is three things that you can stop apologising for right away.  :3

Secondly, a pickup is just one variable in the chain between brain and loudspeaker. The player, the amp the venue all influence the finished sound.

My poshest one imitates the 1951 Fender. It is perfect for some music and utterly wrong for others. For lowdown, distorted filth, I am better served by a secondhand Chapman ML3 Traditional v.2 with high output rail/track pole, hum-cancelling pickups.

As you listen to recorded music, you may wonder why famed Telecaster users can produce sounds that your Jet guitar can not match. This is where aftermarket replacement pickups enter the picture.

TBH, the difference between a low budget lookalike pickup and a super duper aftermarket replacement one is unlikely to be detectable unless heard through professional quality amplification.
    Funnily enough my next question would have referenced the amp and how it affected the pick ups. I would certainly say to myself 'buy a better amp before any pick up' based on hearing my guitar played through one at my guitar teacher's house.
    tFB Trader
    • stock pick ups.
    Well, that is three things that you can stop apologising for right away.  3

Funnily enough my next question would have referenced the amp and how it affected the pick ups. I would certainly say to myself 'buy a better amp before any pick up' based on hearing my guitar played through one at my guitar teacher's house.
    The pickups and amplifier interact as a system - but great pickups can never compensate for a poor amplifier. 

tFB Trader
    Okay - now for phase two of the Blackbird offer - Throughout the year I will be making two batches of Anniversary Blackbirds clear bobbin copper wire to a limited edition of 23 sets (as it's 2023 - duh) . I will take orders from the first batch of ten from tomorrow. First come, first served as always. I will keep the sale open for two weeks yhen any unsold will be offered to our Facebook and Instagram followers.
    The Pickups will be limited edition numbered and come in the same boxes with certificates in the lid as the red ones. 
    The price 1s £180.00 including postage and packing 
    In case you've forgotten what they look like :-) 

Happy to do triangle feet if required.

So to get yourself a set for £180 instead of the usual £250 PM me and I will send you a PayPal invoice ... delivery is then three working weeks from payment. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Set for me please! 
    tFB Trader
    Set for me please! 
    Will do :-)

• Hi Ash.

What pole spacing are these?

Thanks
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    Hi Ash

On telecaster, Stratocaster and humbuckers, are there ‘cut-off’ DCR points where we can infer that the wire used has been changed from 42awg to perhaps 43 or 44?

I’ve read that for a humbucker it’s around 8kΩ above which a thinner wire has been used…
    tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:
    Hi Ash

On telecaster, Stratocaster and humbuckers, are there ‘cut-off’ DCR points where we can infer that the wire used has been changed from 42awg to perhaps 43 or 44?

I’ve read that for a humbucker it’s around 8kΩ above which a thinner wire has been used…
    on a good day, with the wind behind me I can get nearly 9k worth of PVA plain enamel on a pair of 50mm spaced HB bobbins - less DCR with poly wire that has a thicker coating. This will vary depending on the bobbin winding length - remember that a 52mm bobbin uses more wire to form a turn than a 50mm one - another reason DCR is deceptive.

I can usually get about 14.5k of 43awg wire on a pair of bobbins 

and with 44awg I can go well over 23k 

With Strats and Teles it will depend on the winding area - as it's easy to get more wire on by making the bobbins a fraction taller, but in general anything much over 6.5k will use 42.5 0r 43 gauge - you can create real monsters with 44awg!  

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    on a good day, with the wind behind me I can get nearly 9k worth of PVA plain enamel on a pair of 50mm spaced HB bobbins - less DCR with poly wire that has a thicker coating. This will vary depending on the bobbin winding length - remember that a 52mm bobbin uses more wire to form a turn than a 50mm one - another reason DCR is deceptive.

I can usually get about 14.5k of 43awg wire on a pair of bobbins 

and with 44awg I can go well over 23k 

With Strats and Teles it will depend on the winding area - as it's easy to get more wire on by making the bobbins a fraction taller, but in general anything much over 6.5k will use 42.5 0r 43 gauge - you can create real monsters with 44awg!  

Thanks Ash - your point about the 50mm vs 52mm bobbins is fascinating - and so obviously true...

...and also for those very relevant figures, most useful to gain some understanding about how pickups work.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    jaymenon said:
    Hi Ash

In addition to what Ash said, there's some really useful info on the Alegree site in the custom pickups section regarding all that type of stuff
  • Mine have arrived! I’m resisting posting a pic until they’re actually installed in my black sparkle San Dimas
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 163
    Id love to get involved, have just PMed you. 
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    kelpbeds said:
    Id love to get involved, have just PMed you. 
    Wrong Discussion, methinks.  =)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 721
    Here’s my Charvel with the Blackbirds installed. Not only does it sound epic, it’s also surprisingly difficult to photograph now that it’s so shiny…

https://flic.kr/p/2oy1nqh

https://flic.kr/p/2oy2K4K
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter