Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The 2023 Chilli Growing Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The 2023 Chilli Growing Thread

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mrcaptaincmrcaptainc Frets: 0
    edited February 2023

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As of this morning I'm up to 20 seedlings. I added fresh seeds in some cells last night to increase chances of swift germination in the next few days, but I now have about the number of plants I want.

I'm still after a couple more sweet peppers, though, the red ramiro peppers seem slow. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have been looking at grow lights on eBay…. What kind do you chaps have?
    @thermionic seems to have the ones I was looking at. ..
     Cheers
  • Went to water mine this morning and one of the pots looked like something had been digging in - thankfully one where I've just about given up hope of anything germinating.  On closer inspection, one of the seedlings was now leafless with it's leaves in the pot with little nibble marks on them.

I suspect I've got a mouse (or more likely mice) that have taken a fancy to them.  I've put the lid back on the germination box so nothing can get in but it's not a long term solution.  I think I need to start laying traps.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    I've had a disappointing germination rate this year, despite the seed compost being warm and moist. 

Of eight Jalapeño seeds, only 3 have germinated. None of my Chocolate Habenero seeds have. 

I've resorted to ordering some plug plants from a grower on eBay, I've gone for Habaneros plus Padrons and Pusa Jwala.

I don't know the exact soil tempterature (I had a thermometer but dropped it) but when I transplanted the Jalapeños it was very warm to the touch, being on a sunny bathroom windowsill.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    I now have about 25 small pots on various windowsills. Most of the Cherry Bombs and Purple Tigers look quite sturdy, although the growth in general seems a bit slow. Got about 7-8 from the mystery (actually a mixture of Habanero, Jalapeno and Serrano, but I don’t know which ones germinated) Grow Bar.

https://i.imgur.com/0dNBHSn.jpg

I will have to start giving some away.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    Bit of a mixed bag here. Some didn't germinate even in propagator. Some were saved seeds from last year though so bit random. Got enough germinated though, so interested to see how it goes now. 
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    Benm39 said:
    Although considered annuals many chillies grow as bushes in the wild and will often keep going. 
    We've had the same 2 tepin bushes here in Germany for several years. They are still going strong and delivering plenty fruit each year, which we usually dry and use in a grinder. We have also grown several other varieties with success, notably habanero and jalapeno, of which we still have plenty in the freezer. When I say 'we', I mean Mrs. P :-). I just do the lawn, Kärchering and weed control.
    tFB Trader
    Benm39 said:
     Although considered annuals many chillies grow as bushes in the wild and will often keep going.  
    This was covered on the GQT we had at the allotment. The conditions here in the UK aren't conducive to keeping then alive.
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 162
    does anyone grow sweet peppers? I had a chilli plant which was a raging success but I couldn’t use many of the chills which was a shame. 

I was wondering if sweet peppers would give the same pleasure but in an edible friendly format? If so what variety for an indoor plant?
  • Ahh windowsills can get quite chilly at night which affects germination - chillies often require a steady temperature. Fussy to germinate, but easy to grow after - plugs are a good solution. 

does anyone grow sweet peppers? I had a chilli plant which was a raging success but I couldn’t use many of the chills which was a shame. 

I was wondering if sweet peppers would give the same pleasure but in an edible friendly format? If so what variety for an indoor plant?

They are the same plant, effectively - actually, sweet peppers are the odd ones, they are chillies without the spice. 

I really rate "tangerine dream" and "lemon dream" for indoor, but you may struggle to find a plant for sale. Any other compact plant would be good. Avoid things like ramiro, banana or full size bell peppers - they need a lot of space and won't be happy indoors. I'm trying some of those outdoors but I suspect they won't do as well as compact ones without a greenhouse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    The times I've attempted sweet peppers they've tasted quite bitter. They're also slug magnets and the little beasts bore a hole and take up residence in them.
    I had a pretty good germination rate this year - I had them on an electric propagator (a cheap one that doesn’t have a thermostat). I switched it off a few days ago as they’re now seedlings and the low heat from the propagator was drying out the soil very quickly once they were out of their little plastic greenhouse things.
  • The times I've attempted sweet peppers they've tasted quite bitter. They're also slug magnets and the little beasts bore a hole and take up residence in them.

Oh dear! I'll report back end of summer... Fingers crossed for me, but that sounds bad! I have heavy clay soil as well so not ideal - if it doesn't work I'll pack it in... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    What you need is some copper shielding tape. Two strips wrapped around the bottom of your pot, and solder on a 9V battery snap…
    tFB Trader
    I do put copper tape (no need for a battery) around seed trays to successfully stop the slugs. Growbags are bigger and when the plants are touching the windows of the greenhouse that's the route that they take.
    Time to get these babies into bigger pots!

https://i.imgur.com/NzmiFk5.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Looking good.

Mine are outside in the ground now. Poor things. We have not been blessed with warm weather, although they are establishing somewhat and are still green. Very heavy clay soil isn't going to do them favours, but they should produce fruit nonetheless. 
    I have given six plants away and have fourteen left. Three of the Purple Tigers are on sunny windowsills, here are two of them in “Carnivorous Corner” (keeps the flies away).

https://i.imgur.com/21MeO9m.jpg

The rest have been enjoying weeks of warm, sunny weather in the garden, and to my surprise, three of them have started producing fruit!

https://i.imgur.com/NFCMhst.jpg
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Ive got 8 plants in a plastic greenhouse thing, growing well, but no sign of flowers yet, let alone fruit :(

I had 3-4 in a little plastic greenhouse thing, but the ones left outside are growing faster. They’re all outside now - I suspect those plastic things don’t let enough light in, even though the temperature and humidity are high inside them.
    I had 3-4 in a little plastic greenhouse thing, but the ones left outside are growing faster. They’re all outside now - I suspect those plastic things don’t let enough light in, even though the temperature and humidity are high inside them.
    Living in central Scotland, i'm disinclined to leave chilli plants outside ;)
    Ive had success before either on a windowsill or plastic thingy, could just do with some flowers this year. Having said that, my squash, peas and beans have exploded over the past 2-3 weeks.
    Ah, yes, I take sub-tropical south Wales for granted!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Mine at the plot are not looking great. Lots of blackfly, and the heavy clay soil doesn't suit them well. I have a couple in a trug on the balcony that look happier so perhaps that's what I'll stick with next year! 
    tFB Trader
    I've got some jalapeños just about ready to harvest.

I grew those plants from seed, the other varieties I bought as plug plants are a bit behind but are in flower.
    This years harvest amounts to one single chilli from about 8 plants. Crap weather.
    Anyway, im going to overwinter the plants in an attempt to kick start 2024.
    What is the collective advice for when to cut the stems/leaves back and keep inside?
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I'll chip in with a question - In my Southern, south facing, mild climes, are the "greenhouse shelves" type of thing good enough to stick the small pots in for the winter?

Due to our wet summer, I've a couple of paprika that have only just borne fruit and I'd like to keep em for next year, outdoors if I can.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong