Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The 2023 Chilli Growing Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The 2023 Chilli Growing Thread

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
edited February 2023 in Off Topic
Well, here we are then. I was going to try and buy some good quality seeds this year, but somebody bought me this at Christmas:

https://i.imgur.com/wKJyqAj.jpg

Jalapenos, Habaneros, and Serranos - sounds good to me. The plant in the background is one of last year’s surviving Habanero plants - is it worth trying to keep it going on a sunny windowsill?

The instructions were to place the bar in something like a takeaway tray, but none I had were big enough so I sliced the bar in three. I hope I didn’t damage or displace too many seeds by cutting it. Now sitting in my electrically heated propagator in the hope of germination.

https://i.imgur.com/fcggPKX.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    I attempting to grow some from seed this year -- my chilli plant last year was a gift and it did alright.
    I guess it's time to start the seeds... once I can find where I put them.
    Hungarian yellows I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    @thermionic ; re your over wintered habanero, yes,  well worth giving it a good prune and then see if it comes back. Although considered annuals many chillies grow as bushes in the wild and will often keep going.  Give it some fresh compost and check its not pot bound and it should get going faster than a seedling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    I currently have about 20 2-leaf seedlings grown from seed collected from a couple of chilli's a local deli gave me last year that the owner grew in the shop :)
    No idea of variety, but had that spectacular heat you only get from windowledge-grown chillis in Scotland. We'll see how they do this year. I have also ordered some plug plants for later on in the year.

Adam
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited February 2023
    Just ordered some Cherry Bombs (easy to germinate and grow) and Purple Tiger (ideal for windowsills) seeds for variety.
  • Was just starting my growing plans for 2023.

I used some Cayenne frozen from last year in a nice spicy stir fry last night!

Made some killer chillis this past year with some oven dried peppers.

I do like Joe’s Long as a general cooking pepper.
  • I'm in.

Fewer varieties than last year, though. I'm going for sugar rush stripy, peppacream and poblano for the edible ones. I'm growing one super hot, probably going to do 7 pot douglah again, it's basically inedible but sort of fun. Oh, and a couple of habanero plants. 

Then I'm growing lots of sweet peppers, like tangerine dream and banana peppers. Hoping that the allotment soil is slightly improved on last year for being mulched for a year. They struggled a bit last year, and of course I'm counting on good weather. 

I'm sowing them at the weekend in a plug tray, and aim to get them outside and under cover in late April or early May. It's a bit risky, but can withstand a very very light frost with a good thick mesh, and the dark colour of the mesh helps to keep it warm in the sun. 

I'm also working on my bonsai chilli, which is a habanero. Hoping to make it look like a small tree with a thick trunk, and have a few branches with a couple of pepper lanterns hanging off. Going well so far. 
  • I planted my chilli seeds a couple of weeks ago and have had them in the propagator since.  There's 5 varieties in there - all have germinated other than the hottest variety (I can remember what they are all called off the top of my head).  I'm not giving up on them just yet but I am starting to doubt if the seeds were still valid.

Of those that have germinated, some are getting pretty leggy with out much leaf development.  Do I need to find somewhere with a bit more light for them? 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    After last year’s overwintering failures I wasn’t going to bother this year. But now I’ve seen this thread I might have another go with some Jalapeños. I don’t want anything that’s too fussy about it’s environment, though.

• RedRabbit said:
    I planted my chilli seeds a couple of weeks ago and have had them in the propagator since.  There's 5 varieties in there - all have germinated other than the hottest variety (I can remember what they are all called off the top of my head).  I'm not giving up on them just yet but I am starting to doubt if the seeds were still valid.

Of those that have germinated, some are getting pretty leggy with out much leaf development.  Do I need to find somewhere with a bit more light for them? 

Yes, this time of year a grow light is a requirement. A windowsill won't provide enough light for good growth. 

You can somewhat mitigate this by transferring into a bigger pot, and burying the stem. Pepper plants, like tomato plants, can form roots up the stem so you will have a sturdier plant. It will get leggy again, though. 
  • Actually,. I have some grow lights from a genetics experiment my daughter did while back in the loft.. will get em out and build something.

I’m usually a windowsill and propagator grower but the leggy seedings are a problem.
  • RedRabbit said:
    I planted my chilli seeds a couple of weeks ago and have had them in the propagator since.  There's 5 varieties in there - all have germinated other than the hottest variety (I can remember what they are all called off the top of my head).  I'm not giving up on them just yet but I am starting to doubt if the seeds were still valid.

Yes, this time of year a grow light is a requirement. A windowsill won't provide enough light for good growth. 

You can somewhat mitigate this by transferring into a bigger pot, and burying the stem. Pepper plants, like tomato plants, can form roots up the stem so you will have a sturdier plant. It will get leggy again, though. 
    Cheers, I've just ordered a grow light.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I'm completely new to this. What would I need to get started?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • GoFish said:
    I'm completely new to this. What would I need to get started?
    Got a garden or outdoor area for planting out/pots or looking at a windowsill setup?

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I'm fortunate to have outdoor space and pots. Would I need to begin the process indoors? I have no indoor stuff, but could probably find a window...
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • I'm growing some this year! Got a small electric propagator this time so starting them off in that.

We get our Chilli (and other veg) seeds from this site:
    https://www.realseeds.co.uk/

They have some interesting varieties. I'm trying a few, the 'Ohmnivec' in particular looks nice. 
  • I'm growing some this year! Got a small electric propagator this time so starting them off in that.

They have some interesting varieties. I'm trying a few, the 'Ohmnivec' in particular looks nice. 
    Ohnivec is nice, it's the big green peppers you get in kebab shops. I grew them the other year. They're bit as hot as realseeds would have you think, but they do get a real bite when ripe! Very prolific as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited February 2023
    I have managed to keep some chili plants alive on an indoor window sill in the north east for over 3 years now, despite repeated attacks of virus caused by bastard red spider mites...grrrrr!
    This place has a fair range of seedlings & is fairly priced  (good for herbs & spices too)  https://spicesontheweb.co.uk/chilli-seedling-plants

Ohnivec is nice, it's the big green peppers you get in kebab shops. I grew them the other year. They're bit as hot as realseeds would have you think, but they do get a real bite when ripe! Very prolific as well. 
    Ah that's good news, I do like those kebab shop peppers! 
  • My son and I have been doing this for years, we plant about 30 each year and give them away to friends when they start bearing fruit.  I’m not particularly interested in gardening, but it became tradition about 6 years ago.  I still have some from last year in the window.  We made some hot olive oil in the past and given that away too. 

Favourites have been baskets of fire, I have some Aji Limo which are citrus-ish.  
  • I'm in.

I'm also working on my bonsai chilli, which is a habanero. Hoping to make it look like a small tree with a thick trunk, and have a few branches with a couple of pepper lanterns hanging off. Going well so far. 
    I have a Habanero plant which has survived on a sunny windowsill since last year - how do I bonsai it? It’s getting a bit unruly and only produced about 7-8 fruit last summer.
  • I'm in.

I have a Habanero plant which has survived on a sunny windowsill since last year - how do I bonsai it? It’s getting a bit unruly and only produced about 7-8 fruit last summer.

I'm not an expert, but I'll post a photo tomorrow. 

I grew it last year, in a normal pot, harvested and then brought inside (hello, fungus gnats).

Then in November or December (can't remember which) I cut it back hard to just a few branches on the short stem. Was not gentle! 

Then I lifted it out of the pot, removed some of the roots and soil (maybe 1/3rd), added fresh compost and repotted. It recovered within a few days, starting to produce some shoots and now it looks kinda cute. Not going to win any awards, mind! 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Last year I took one of the kits from @ThePrettyDamned (thanks, TPD!), and grew them first on a sunny windowsill, then to a greenhouse and finally in pots outdoors.

I had most success with Ring of Fire, Rokita, and Purple Cayenne.  The various Habaneros didn't do very well.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 2999
    Im going to buy seedlings later this year and use a plastic greenhouse thingy, I cant be arsed with growing from seed.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • “It’s not what you think officer, I’m just trying to grow some chillies.”

https://i.imgur.com/keYkS8A.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Does away with the need for an additional outside security light too  ;)
    Good luck growing :+1: 
  • “It’s not what you think officer, I’m just trying to grow some chillies.”

https://i.imgur.com/keYkS8A.jpg

When I had the bed delivered last year the lads asked if I "had any going spare". Didn't understand, so he gestured to the plants. 

I said they were chillies, and he looked absolutely devastated. 

I've had first couple germinate now, so the lights went on yesterday. I only have them on for a few hours per day for cotylydons (spelling?!) but they'll go on longer in a week or so when they need more light. Hopefully in a few weeks the lights won't be needed anymore. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ Pretty damn close  ;) :+1:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotyledon
  • ^ Pretty damn close  ;) :+1:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotyledon

Noted! What an awkward word... 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    I had a good crop of hot cayennes last year, plenty still in the freezer. My scotch bonnets started fruiting after about 10 months and are now producing quite a few hot ripe fruits. That is doing well.

I have a greenhouse, so most of the growing is done in there. Will get some seedlings once it warms up a bit, something hot I think. Will also have a do at some from seed, usually works out ok, though often not as hot as I'd like, which is always a bit of a downer.
  • Getting half way decent rates of germination here, it's been about 1 weeks and out of 49 cells (one seed per cell) I currently have 10 seedlings. Not bad, considering most of the seed was out of date last year and some varieties take 2 weeks or more.