Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). David Crosby - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

David Crosby

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited January 2023
    Love the Byrds stuff and he also did more to promote the sale of personal fire extingishers than anyone....
    I’d say Richard Pryor would have disagreed with you there !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 45
    edited January 2023
    Any pointers as to where to start with Crosby? 

I'm a big Neil Young fan and have (a couple of??) CSN(Y) compilations like "So Far" but never got any further than that. There's almost too much stuff. 
    His solo album ‘If Only I Could Remember my Name’ is worth a listen. Jerry Garcia plays lead guitar on it and it’s got guest appearances from Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and members of Santana, Grateful Dead and Quicksilver Messenger Service throughout. It’s basically one big hippie jam album. Great piece of art.  

With Graham Nash the albums worth a listen in my opinion are ‘Wind on the Water’, ‘Whistling Down the Wire (not sure if this one is on streaming services but it’s worth hunting down to listen to) and ‘Graham Nash and David Crosby’. All really good albums that I’d probably listen to in that order. The best of the best LA session guys on each one such as Russel Kunkell on drums, Leland Sklar on bass and David Lindley on guitar. Brilliant lineup on each album. 

With CSN I’d listen to the couch album which is the first one released in 1969. Can’t really say more about this album that’s already been said. Probably one of the best albums of all time. Defined a generation. And finally with CSN I’d listen to the boat album which is titled ‘CSN’ released in 1977. Absolute masterpiece with the mid-70s slick production really suiting the boat rock sound of the mid-70s. 

Enjoy! Wish I could listen all over again.

Whilst you’re at it check out Stephen Stills first two solo albums and the first Manassas album he did. He was the real genius behind it all in regards to CSN etc IMO. And definitely the most talented. Hendrix and Clapton along with Booker T, Ringo and John Sebastian guest on the first album! ‘Stills’ released in 75 is also brilliant. 

If you like that Buffalo Springfield are also brilliant. Young and Stills band before CSN. Oh yeah, and the Byrds with Crosby being a member before CSN too!

Cheers! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    edited January 2023
    Cheers.

I have some Buffalo Springfield kicking about somewhere too. Need to dig that out. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    All of the last four or five albums have been really good and very worthwhile checking out.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter