Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD ~ 2022 Martin OM-28 Acoustic - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD ~ 2022 Martin OM-28 Acoustic

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Mellish said:

But the OM-28 has shown me that an acoustic doesn't have to be big to be loud!

:) 
    now,  I dont want to sa......................................................

;) 

=)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited January 2023
    ^^^ Oh I can see that.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Strewth! I slip out for ten minutes to see a man about a dog and when I get back  @Melish has thrown away his Gibson and gone over to the other side! 

What happened? An offer you couldn't refuse? Holy Vision on the Road to Damascus? Horse's head on the bed? :)

(OK, I'll read the thread and find out for myself. I'm sure all is explained. But I'm a bit shocked.)

PS: it will be a lovely guitar. I've never owned one but I played one extensively back in 2020 when I was buying my Messiah and liked it a lot. Agonised for ages over which one to buy, could have taken either home and been very happy either way. Probably, all things considered, my favourite Martin. Or maybe 2nd favourite after the HD-28. That little bit of extra scale length over the 000s provides tautness and tames the trademark Martin muddy bottom end to give the whole instrument balance. You will be very happy with it. Shame I'm not close enough to try out your Dove - I reckon I'd like it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Tannin ; a dread is getting a bit too bulky for me these days (shoulder ache from stretching) so I thought I'd go for a narrower waist to try to get around the problem, and it's worked.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    another one Ive converted to the dark side ;)
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    fwiw, and I think I've said this already on FB, my 2018 OM28 Reimagined sounds very nice with Monels on. Depends on your taste @Mellish. Monels less bright more complex than any string with bronze in to my ears. Which aren't your ears!

Might be worth a try though.

Out of my little acoustic family of five, the OM28 comes second only to my Vintage V300MH which I just love. (So does my friend who I leant it to whilst he was temporarily guitarless and hasn't yet given it back).

Your/my OM28 pretty near the top end of perfect imho. And, as I have also said before, endlessly probably, good decision not to buy more expensive Martin OM's from their current stable. Will they one day make a better OM?, ever? Possibly and, again, depends on your individual taste in tone. But it won't be much better.

Have fun.
    @DavidR ; thanks mate, I'll give monels a try.

If anyone had told me three weeks ago that an OM-28 could have more punch than a Dove dread, I'd have thought they didn't know what they were talking about.

It's strange, been gigging for over fifty years but, sometimes, I'm just a newbie.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    edited January 2023
    It'll be the bracing (as I'm certain you know!). 
    L/jumbo/dread bass can sound soooo sweet and fat but OM is just so comfortable. 
    They scalloped the bracing on my OM40 (mimicking Martin) and I can definitely hear the increased bass. 
    You would have got extra points if you got the mahogany-backed one Glad you are loving it!
    No recording? :)
    edited January 2023
    I'm loving it.

Tbh, there's a fair bit of tone locked in for playing to bring out. It's suiting my voice better, though, and I'd describe its tone right now as that early Bob Dylan guitar sound. 

• 8) it's good you're out gigging it! 
    I've never gigged an acoustic. Solo and singing?
    Yeah, solo mostly but sometimes accompany Mrs M's brother who wants to always do Tom Petty stuff *rolls eyes*

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Do you add Gold Watch Blues and The Fairy storey of the Tangerine Puppet to your playlist?I reckon they would sound really nice on the new Martin.
    Enjoy my friend.
  • Tom Petty rocks. That's cool.. do you have electrics, too? 
    No, I sometimes borrow a Strat if another guitarist will let me.

And for the record, nothing wrong with Tom Petty or his music. I was just mucking about. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Mellish said:
    Yeah, solo mostly but sometimes accompany Mrs M's brother who wants to always do Tom Petty stuff *rolls eyes*

He won't back down?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    slacker said:
    Mellish said:

He won't back down?
    Interesting fella - Tom Petty, I mean, not my brother-in-law

;)
    edited January 2023
    transpose some Tom onto acoustic.   great option 

Free Fallin'  would go over a treat    me and Mrs Bert have a go at it sometimes................. actually perhaps I should re-phrase that
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mellish said:
    @Tannin ; a dread is getting a bit too bulky for me these days (shoulder ache from stretching) so I thought I'd go for a narrower waist to try to get around the problem, and it's worked.

I've said in the past that I don't really get this "not comfortable on a dred" thing. And - yep - that was in the past. Age catches up with all of us, and this last six months or so I have gradually started to notice that I'm sometimes not so comfortable sometimes playing my one and only dreadnought. That one always used to be my go-to practice guitar (and one to play for pleasure also) but these days I usually avoid picking it up first thing in the morning to be kind to my shoulder. And I tend to avoid at any time of day it if I'm expecting a solid session.

It's still a lovely guitar and these days I'm playing it later in the day when my bones have warmed up, and more for pleasure than for practice. 

Honestly, I think the differences between dreads and concert/auditorium/000/OM bodies are way, way overstated. There are three significant differences between my dred and the smaller bodied instruments around the house (1) the cedar top makes more difference than anything else does, it's a different sound ands a different feel (2) the Queensland Maple back is not nearly the same thing as the various other backs in the household (rosewood, Blackwood, mahogany, Rock Maple and a couple of exotics) - it has a gentle, subtle sound and feel none of the others have. (3) The dreadnought body shape makes a difference too, but it is least important difference of the three. 

TLDR: Play any shape you like. It really won't matter (except possibly to your elbow).

I agree with Mrs M's brother. Tom was da man.
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
    edited January 2023
    It sounds like it covers all the things people would want in an acoustic guitar,, comfortable shape  top notch parts like schaller tuners and yes.., the  'and it's a Martin' cliche.

My question to @Mellish is assuming you tried them, how does the sound compare to Martin's mahagony models?

I have found RW a bit too bright sounding for my liking, but  maybe that that's a bonus in a smaller guitar.

...If you ever need an emergency £2k injection please pm me. Lol

@Smellyfingers ;; there you've got me mate - didn't compare it to hog Martins.

But this OM-28 isn't bright, least not to my ears. Had it been, I would have put it back cos I went to the store looking for something that had plenty of bass and found it in this. 

Re your offer: hmm :) 
    @Tannin ; to me this OM is much more comfortable AND no real loss of volume over a dread. Means I can play more often, for longer, which will make the OM less of a stranger, cos that's how I felt about the Dove. Great guitar, just didn't suit me for 2-hour gigs.

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    How about Gold Watch Blues and Tangerine Puppet my friend???
    To add to your playlist,they would fit in well with what you already do.
    @bluecat ; two new songs on me, me old mate.

I'll check 'em out. Cheers. Mostly I'm 60s protest songs with folk and a bit of pop thrown In. My favourite is Eve Of Destruction, a Barry McGuire hit back in the day.

Decided this guitar sounds fuller with the factory, plastic bridge pins.

Other things I like is that this guitar is amazingly light, easy to play and the tuners turn smoothly.

Hiscox do an OM/000 case (Pro ll, I believe) so that's a buy at some point. And I've an offer of a set of Martin Liquid Metal bridge pins @£40

Mellish said:

Other things I like is that this guitar is amazingly light, easy to play and the tuners turn smoothly.

Hiscox do an OM/000 case (Pro ll, I believe) so that's a buy at some point. And I've an offer of a set of Martin Liquid Metal bridge pins @£40

get a proper old stylee luggage case 
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:

get a proper old stylee luggage
    case

Too late - Hiscox ordered

=) 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Keen to hear your thoughts on the Liquid Metal pins if you go that route. 
    @SteveF ; I probably WILL get them, and I'll include my findings in this thread.