Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD ~ 2022 Martin OM-28 Acoustic - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD ~ 2022 Martin OM-28 Acoustic

What's Hot
Bought at GuitarGuitar Birmingham. Will review here tomorrow.

Just to say my 2021 Dove Original in Cherry Sunburst is there now if any want to check it out.

:) 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    Get some pictures up please! Did you go natural or sunburst? I love this guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 405
    edited January 2023
    Congratulations, that happened fast  

Hope it's a better fit for you mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Unfortunately, I can't do pics - all a mystery to me, sorry.

It's a natural finish with aged top. Just a gorgeous thing. 

On way to Aberdeenshire. Back tomorrow. Do a review then guys.

They are stunning. If it sounds anything like mine the review should be good. I got rid of my d28 for it which says a lot. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    My dream acoustic that
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    @Mellish you've got us all drooling here.
    It's like that ancient joke where the masochist is crying out 'beat me! beat me!" and the sadist says "No!"

I followed the post in the new members section under 'how to post pictures and vids'. 
    I found Postimages worked easily for me, and I use my mobile phone for the forum, not a PC.

Would be good to see a couple of photos, but glad you're enjoying the new guitar 
    ;)  =)

edited February 2023
    So, let's run through the specs and say right off that this acoustic will also suit electric players. 
    2022 Martin 0M-28 Re-imagined. 
    Serial No: 2628389
    Body size: 000 14 fret
    Scale length: 25.4 
    Finish: Nitro except satin neck
    Top matrrisl: Sitka spruce
    B/S: EIR
    Neck shape: modified low oval 
    Neck taper: high performance
    Neck material: mahogany
    Tuners: Schaller open gear butterbean
    Recommended Strings: Martin Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 light
    Top colour: natural, aged toner
    Bridge style: modern belly, drop in saddle
    Fretboard inlays: squares/snowflakes
    Nut: bone
    Nut width: 1.75"
    Saddle: compensated bone, 16" radius, drop in
    Binding: antique white
    Bridge string spscing: 2 5/32"
    Top inlay: bold herringbone
    Fingerboard & bridge: ebony 
    Pickguard: tortoise
    Bridge pins: white plastuc
    Bracing: scalloped X
    Case: TKL black thermoplastic
    Electronics: optional
    £3,659

Tbh, I was surprised when I tried it in GG Birmingham. That much thump from smaller than a dread?

But it was just what I was looking for: lots of low end grunt. And with 2.5 mm at the 12fh, and good nut slot height, nothing needs doing right now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'll change bridge pins material, get a Hiscox case, but otherwise very happy with it

Tone wise very good. I'm not thrashing something bright, there's real low end but also good highs. Capo'd at the 5th, there's a pleasant ring.
    The fretboard ebony has lighter streaks which I prefer to the all black.
    Much more comfortable to play than a dread. 
    It gets its first gig tomorrow with first song being Eve of Destruction. 

• ShadowShadow Frets: 58
    Congratulations. OM is my favourite body style. Hope we can hear some sound samples?
    I think that was the biggest surprise for me too when I compared mine to my D28. I didn’t lose much volume at all. Aren’t you a fan of the case? I think they are pretty good but I’ve never had a hiscox so I’m assuming they’re better?
    Thanks guys.

Got loads on today. Promised Mrs M that I'd get all those jobs done that I've been putting off, including sweeping the chimney!

Unfortunately, I can't do pics or sound clips but just ask if there's anything about this guitar that you want to know. 

• Mellish said:
    Thanks guys.

Got loads on today. Promised Mrs M that I'd get all those jobs done that I've been putting off, including sweeping the chimney!

Unfortunately, I can't do pics or sound clips but just ask if there's anything about this guitar that you want to know. 

Maybe you can you email them to another poster to post?
    @guitarjack66 ; the only way pics could happen (short of me setting up PayPal) would be for me to swap mobile number with another member. I SMS pics to him, he puts them up.

• Nice one and didn't realise you were Aberdeen
    @thomasross20 ; no, I don't live in Scotland mate. Went there to see our Identical twin daughters. I'm South Lincolnshire.

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I thought the dove was the one my friend.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    bluecat said:
    I thought the dove was the one my friend.
    he saw sense and realised big guitars are like big cars  ;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited January 2023
    @bluecat ; it was, me old mate, but the 16" lower bout proved to be a bit too much of a stretch and gave me shoulder ache - not good.

@bertie ; I was surprised when I tried the OM-28 alongside my Dove in-store. The Dove has volume and plenty of it but the bass of the OM-28 is fuller - altogether a louder guitar. 

Changed bridge pins material to bone and strings to D'Addario EJ16. 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Excellent score :D 
    Dave_Mc said:
    Excellent score :D 
    Cheers mate, thank you

@ditchboy ; missed your question, sorry.

I don't dislike the thermoplastic case. The guitar is a snug fit, the latches work well. It's fine. 

But a Hiscox has a bit of padding, plus you can get small foam pads from the company to enable a custom fit. Costs more but protection is better.

• Ah gotcha 
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    edited January 2023
    Congratulations Mellish, sounds like a good fit for
    you. 
    Hope the gig went well. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    one thing I did like about the 612 and 614  - the Taylor cases are fantastic,  really like the look/vibe of  "leather" luggage style case. 

TKL seem to be the only decent (non mortgage required) ones, and they're not easy to come by here
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    @Gandalph ; thanks mate.

Yeah, far more comfortable, can play it for hours. It has a fuller, woodier sound than the Dove I had and that's what I've been after. 

Gig tonight, usually Monday and Saturday but it can change. 

Let us know how you get on. 
    edited January 2023
    So, gig was 9-11pm.

Couldn't have gone better. Song list:
    Eve of Destruction
    Colours
    Ballad Of A Crystal Man
    Amanda
    Catch The Wind
    To Sing For You
    Times They Are A-changing
    Little Red Rooster (on borrowed Strat) 
    World Of Our Own
    Like A Rollin' Stone. 

OM-28 stayed in tune. No shoulder ache after gig (would've had with the Dove) so pretty pleased. 

• slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    I bought one last year from coda. Best acoustic in the shop and took seconds to realise it. 
    edited January 2023
    @slacker ; I was always a dread guy. If it wasn't a dread.....

But the OM-28 has shown me that an acoustic doesn't have to be big to be loud!