Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Advice on a new decent vinyl setup please! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Advice on a new decent vinyl setup please!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Audio Gold in Crouch End? They’re great in there 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Sounds a lovely set up. Must admit I’ve not heard of Celef speakers but they seem well made and highly rated by the hifi buffs. Good swag! 

Btw I had no idea Billy Vee were still in business!  I bought most of my set up from them in the late 80s and it’s still going strong. I had to travel right across London to visit their shop at the time, but they were the only ones that had everything I wanted in stock, plus they were doing a 0% interest deal at the time I think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    @stevrossthepipe that sounds like a nice set up, and cool to be using you FiL's old speakers with a bit of family history.
    What's the JVC tape deck you've got? I've looking for a tape player and one with VU meters sound very cool!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    I.m going to be very honest and say that the thought of paying £750 for the Audiolab amp which cost, what £200 new, is a bit rich fro me.  You are heading towards the land of smoke, mirrors and snake oil witt that in my view.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    On the advice of this forum I got an albeit cheaper end Rega and coupled it with a used NAD amp, CD and Cassette deck I found advertised locally and I have been very happy with it. Since found the ancient Pioneer turntable my Dad had does actually work............. So I have both now.

Have bought new vinyl and I enjoy it as a process. Not convenient and can be pricey but I do enjoy it, had a collection of LPs again from my Dad to start up with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoof said:
    Audio Gold in Crouch End? They’re great in there 
    Yes, that's the one. Great selection of vinyl in there new and 2nd hand  and  a very cool range of vintage and a bit of new. I work in a camera shop like this (although our main business is rental) and think it is important just to tell people the reality of vintage and 2nd hand kit in relation to new things. That kind of honest hub of knowledge and experience is valuable and interesting. Otherwise you end up with  ebay and new shops I guess. Camera forums can be such a mine field of mis information especially on older stuff.
  • stevrossthepipestevrossthepipe Frets: 131
    edited October 2023
    rlw said:
    I.m going to be very honest and say that the thought of paying £750 for the Audiolab amp which cost, what £200 new, is a bit rich fro me.  You are heading towards the land of smoke, mirrors and snake oil witt that in my view.
    @rlw yes I agree with you after a bit of research it is a bit spicy and sire there are bargains to be had  however this is my thinking. Thanks for the comment I can get carried away. Ha

I have defintly got excited about this and to an extent want to be taken  on a ride a a bit down the magical lane. Although for the most part I am shrewd and decadent with nusic gear I'm equal measure. I want to start at the bottom of decent hifi rather than begin at entry level. Like my journey into euroack.the way to do it is just to.jump in with 2 feet and if doesn't work our just cut your loses and get out. Board of researching it ha as I generally over do it.

I find some times constantly looking for bargains on things and the best possible price a but exhausting. If I like a brand like eqd or chase bliss I'll just buy new from a shop I've had good experiences at. Feed the industry a bit.

The 8000a are coming.up for £200 - £250 on ebay.
    A recapping and re jacking at 70 quid an hour  and parts let's say 250. Then they back some cream on top and charge for a warranty isn't too bad I guess and sure I can haggle. They had a stack of 10 of them I reckon. Maybe they are cash cows for them but they must rate them.

In 1985 200 quid would be £650 now. So jus held its value ish. If that was an 80s Fender tele it would of doubled in price? Obviously it being electrical does change the convo a but but the older kit does all seem fairly  repairable up.to the point of their being people.around who can repair these things od course.

Seems apt to oair thr nice speakers and P3 with something fairly distinguished ha 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    For a starter amp, I really like the JVC JA S11 (S22, and S44).  The 22 and 44 have the VU metres you like 

great sounding very underrated amp. I’ve bought dozens when they could be had on eBay for £10, and have them to people for their starter setup. 

They use the same amp chips as Yamaha monoblock studio amps, so pinch way above their weight in sound. 

If you have a bigger budget, get a Sony TA-F770ES, 707, 870 or 808 

• rlw said:
    I bought my Audiolab 8000A shortly after it came out brand new.  It was nigh on £500 and worth every penny.  It was between the Audiolab and the top of the range NAD at the time, the NAD didn't even come close.

Whether one is worth £750 today is another matter?
    rlw said:
    I bought my Audiolab 8000A shortly after it came out brand new.  It was nigh on £500 and worth every penny.  It was between the Audiolab and the top of the range NAD at the time, the NAD didn't even come close.

Affordable Audiophile Amp

Martin Colloms  |  Jun 28, 2022  |  First Published: Jan 1, 1984

facebook sharing button
    twitter sharing button
    flipboard sharing button
    pinterest sharing button
    email sharing button
    sharethis sharing button

hfnvintageCan Audiolab's 8000A redefine the market? Martin Colloms finds out...

The new Audiolab range is introduced by the 8000A integrated amp, which sells for around £250.

• rlw said:
    rlw said:

facebook sharing button
    twitter sharing button
    flipboard sharing button
    pinterest sharing button
    email sharing button
    sharethis sharing button

The new Audiolab range is introduced by the 8000A integrated amp, which sells for around £250.

Oooops, got my timing a bit out.  It was late 80s when I lived in Scotland and I bought my Audiolab from HiFi Corner in Edinburgh.  It was certainly closer to £500 in price at that time.  No intention to deceive.
    It's a cracking amplifier, but I'm not sure a used one is worth £750 today?
  • Have a look here
    https://www.retrotechaudio.co.uk/currently-for-sale.html
    They seem a decent sort of shop
    edited October 2023
    TheMarlin said:
    For a starter amp, I really like the JVC JA S11 (S22, and S44).  The 22 and 44 have the VU metres you like 

great sounding very underrated amp. I’ve bought dozens when they could be had on eBay for £10, and have them to people for their starter setup. 

They use the same amp chips as Yamaha monoblock studio amps, so pinch way above their weight in sound. 

Thnaks @TheMarlin I can see your knowledge on hifi is very vast. I think because I have decided I want to pair these live with my speakers if you will I'll just  buy whatever they have in there at the time. However if they do have the above I will be sure to give them a go. Those JVcs are right up my ally. 
  • @rlw @steveledzep ;
    Ya that does seem to be the ebay price.

I spoke to them today and he said his plan was to show me the 8000a first as a neutral amp and go more characterful after that to give me a flavour - makes sense. I may end up somewhere very different.

Wow ok so if you bought that in 1985 for 500 quid that is £1800 worth  now. So for a semi classic item that isn't too wild really and you hear so much good stuff about them. I just do like the idea that is all checked over and is working the way it is intended to and in theory will give me another 10 year etc in theory hassle free. 
    edited October 2023
    Small update: They said speakers are up and running. One needed a new tweeter and they had a vintage correct replacement which they put in. The other speaker had some 'cold' solder issues so that just needed doing now all sounding good. £160 quid seems ok. Bear in mind I got them for free. 
  • Have a look here
    https://www.retrotechaudio.co.uk/currently-for-sale.html
    They seem a decent sort of shop
    Have purchased and sold many items from them over the years, John's a top chap and isn't just in it for the money.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    TheMarlin said:

Thnaks @TheMarlin I can see your knowledge on hifi is very vast. I think because I have decided I want to pair these live with my speakers if you will I'll just  buy whatever they have in there at the time. However if they do have the above I will be sure to give them a go. Those JVcs are right up my ally. 
    I think Mr. TheMarlin is the most knowledgeable record player chap on here. Always good to listen to his advice!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

facebook sharing button
    twitter sharing button
    flipboard sharing button
    pinterest sharing button
    email sharing button
    sharethis sharing button

Oooops, got my timing a bit out.  It was late 80s when I lived in Scotland and I bought my Audiolab from HiFi Corner in Edinburgh.  It was certainly closer to £500 in price at that time.  No intention to deceive.
    It's a cracking amplifier, but I'm not sure a used one is worth £750 today?

I only remembered because it was on my shortlist in 1985 but I was tempted into a Naim system which I still use to this day.

Good amps though.