Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Advice on a new decent vinyl setup please! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Advice on a new decent vinyl setup please!

What's Hot
Hi all,

I have read the vinyl system suggestions on here and spent a fair bit of time over the years looking into setups and finally want to jump in.

I can see it goes from beginner to brain meltingly complicated setups and upgrading fairly quickly. So I have had a think what I actually want from it.

I want it to be replaceable if anything breaks and upgrade bits as my ears and wants develop. Like most things sure I will get a taste for it so much rather start with a really decent system. I rather not be doing upgrades on day one but not against it. Also prob rather just get all new stuff but I do like to buy 2nd hand but looking to have this a long time so think would be ok. 

£1000 to £1200 would be my initial spend for the vinyl speaker amp part could buy extra things in parts.

Going to be mainly playing long play LPs not singles etc.

High quality/ solid feeling vinyl player

Nice looking speakers that aren't massive. Could go on stands if necessary but not wall mounted.

Happy to go seperate on amp and phono but combos would be OK also.

Bluetooth on the amp if possible so can play streaming through it etc. Headphone out socket also.

Combo CD/ Cassette tape player - can be seperate but space wise might be best to be combined and not worried about it being super quality as vinyl is the focus but we have alot of new/old cassettees and loads of CDs.

Like the look of the project turntables and the straight forward simplicity

The Rega system one looks fab etc but not sure it will meet my needs in the other respects of Bluetooth and Cassette tape add ons.

Looked at a hodge podge of other brands. Will take a trip to Richer sounds but looking for a bit of direction if possible as can see as always there is a fountain of knowledge here that spouts forth.

Thanks,

Steve 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited December 2022
    I’m no audiophile although we do have 4 turntables dotted around the house (2 kids , one in kitchen/day room and one in my den).

Ive bought 3 of them from Richersounds (London Bridge , Sevenoaks and a Bournemouth).  Maybe I’ve been lucky but it’s one of those shops where I totally trust the hifi nerd that serves me so I basically let them choose.

I go in , give them my budget and they put together some options and within and hour I’m on my way home with the gear.

I appreciate they don’t have the latest , greatest gear but for someone on a budget I don’t think they can be beat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    I have used Paul at HIFI lounge, the used stuff is pretty good value.

HIFI Lounge
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    A Rega system one will let you add a couple of other components. I use a little Yamaha streamer with my Icon Audio amp which works well. 

I’ve got a P3 with an Exact but I had a P1 turntable before. The P1 was great for the money the cartridge wasn’t bad really for the price. 

I’ve got a more expensive setup but I’d be tempted to buy a system one myself as a second system.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks all for the great advice I unwisely sent this 2 days before my partner gave birth to our first so very busy now ha.

I will have a think about all.of this when I get a chance. Really appreciate it. 

Ahh great @Penn I will look into that streamer and how all that works. Yes will get a hang of connectivity with these systems to see what I can expand and how.

Will check out richer sounds and have a proper chat in there and get a feel for it all. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    This is the streamer I’m on about. It’s not audiophile really I guess but it’s pretty good for the money. 

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-wxad10-darkgrey.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited January 2023
    Audiolab 6000A would seem to fit the bill for an amp. As to speakers, I think £200-£250 speakers these days are great quality and you’re unlikely to be disappointed. Turntables would be a toss-up between Pro-Ject and Rega, but you seem to have decided you prefer the former.
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 127
    edited January 2023
    I recently purchased a Cambridge Audio AXA35 after spending a lot of time researching. It gets great reviews.
    £299 from Richer Sounds (if you can find one in stock) but I got a refurbished one from £199 from Cambridge Audio's own eBay store. It arrived in mint condition and I doubt it was ever opened.
    Has a phono preamp built in, plenty of analog inputs and a 5v USB output for powering an external DAC or similar.

No Bluetooth capability. For streaming music, I use a Chromecast in my TV. Audio from the TV runs into the Cambridge through a cheap DAC from Amazon, which runs on the 5v USB output on the back of the Cambridge.
    A simple alternative would be an external Bluetooth streamer like the iFi Zen Air Blue at £99, which would connect directly into an amp's analog inputs.
    iFi ZEN Air Blue - High Resolution Bluetooth StreamerAmazon UKhttps://www.amazon.co.uk › iFi-ZEN-Air-Blue-Resolu...

The Rotel A11 Tribute at £399 has built in Bluetooth and more power but when the opportunity came up to get the Cambridge at half the price, I went for that.

Speakers are a pair of Acoustic Energy AE100 mk2s at about £259.  A great match for the Cambridge. 

Here's a good review of the Cambridge and the AE speakers together.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=milPXGgpoJ4&t=850s

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Rega Planar turntable - get the best you can afford. Latest P1 is v good as it has an upgraded cartridge.
    Rega phono stage too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @steverossthepipe Congrats on the new arrival!
  • moremore Frets: 222
    edited January 2023
     I have bought stuff from Richer Sounds for years , and I have always been happy with them .Unfortunately, HIFI  equipment   can get expensive. In the end , it will be your beget that will determine what you buy. Speakers are relatively one of the cheaper component's, so buy some good ones . You can buy a Pro-Ject  primary E turn table for £150 . A basic turntable , but you would  need to spend  double that  before you would find a better  one I would Second the the Cambridge Audio AXA35 amp.  I like Marantz CD Players , a basic one would send your total bill  to the top end of your beget. Cassette Decks are the only thing I would buy second hand .  They do have lots of  components that fail with age  , but you can find some bargains, even in charity shops . As long as they accept returns , it is worth looking out for one.    
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    I'd certainly recommend the Rega P3 with the RB330 arm on it. You wouldn't need to consider any upgrades really, but if you wanted to at some point you have plenty options. 

I have an old Rega Brio amp as well: first version with the phone stage built in. Would recommend that as well. 

There's plenty bookshelf speakers out there. Again mine are old B&W DM600S3, but I think there's some fantastic newer speakers about which are good value for money. I'd say you'd have to use speaker stands though to get the best out of them. 

Might be over your budget new, and you'd likely need a modern amp for the Bluetooth, but for the rest of it, second hand should be just fine. The P3 with the RB330 arm is a fantastic set-up though and I've never felt the need to upgrade on mine: I'd prefer to use the money for records.

Sorry I'm not adding anything particularly constructive here, but a set-up like you're planning is a great thing to be enjoyed. I'd certainly be interested in updates with what you go for (particularly the Bluetooth side of things).
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Check hifi lounge, they have an ex demo section.
    Great company to deal with
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • Hi All  - thanks again for the advise

I think the Rega system ONE  makes  the most sense  for me  and will be a more cohesive system than if I mix and match even with help with my beginner knowledge. I like the straight forward nature of it and less options to get confused over. Or perhaps the same speakers and amp  but go with the P2 then I have some upgradable wiggle room.

Also looking at the TEAC CD player/ Cassette player AD -850 - expensive and a bit ugly  but would mean I killed 2 birds with one stone and wouldn't have to worry about buying a second hand  cassette unit.

However looks like Audio Gold in Crouch End do refurbished  cassette separates units from like £150 so that would be an option. 

Something makes me want to not  bother  with the blue tooth receiver initially  unless it comes in something and stick with the Sonos for streaming that way it would be more of an event when I fire up the physical system.  

Been looking at  Cheshire Audio on youtube and he had some pretty in depth videos that are very honest on the Rega system one and differences between the P1 and P2 so will give them a call as well as go to Richer Sounds soon if I get a chance.

I am hoping to build a wooden cabinet for it all to go into and then have the speakers on stands. Any recommendations for stands that are good? 

Will report back.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    edited January 2023
    Can't go wrong with rega, just pick your price point and demo, but you might find your £££ go up
  • stevrossthepipestevrossthepipe Frets: 131
    edited May 2023
    Checking in.

Currently in the last part of saving for this. I  have been speaking to  the high end hifi shop Billy Vee in Lewisham. Also had some long conversations with my vinyl maniac friend who inherited his dads 80's Rega P3, I think, with only a  few repairs required, which is testimony to its quality I think.

Rega Planar 50 ( P3 with a few upgrades - power supply and cartridge) £880
    Rega IO £420
    Rega Kyte speakers £399
    Rega Wall bracket £180
    Speaker stands £180
    Rega kyte bracket £30
    Cables £30

Going all Rega as I don't have the knowledge or owned  experience to  match tables and speakers etc and everything you read seems to be positive and  for what it is good value.

Realised my floors  will be a nightmare  and cause the needle to skip and as a bonus I think the mounted bracket will look rad.

All in all knocking on the door of  £2,000. Definetly alot but excited about the idea I could have this for the rest of my life and get 1000s of hours of joy from it. Bargain.

I will add a cd player and a tape player as funds repopulate  but nothing mega expensive. Will do some more research  and get a cool looking refurbished  Cassette deck with VU meters which would be the  dream ha.

Going ro make my own vinyl storage table to run under the turntable in theory so that way I can  optimise the positioning of the turntable and speakers.

Will keep the thread updated. Hopefully will be able to go to Billy Vees as not far from me as they have a demo unit avaliable to hear. 

• horsehorse Frets: 1502
    I'm all Rega now too, although my turntable is their lowest end and my brio amp and R3 speakers cost more a good few years back.

Recently got an Apollo cd player to finish things off, which was pricey but has given my cd collection a new "warm" lease of life.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    That sounds absolutely spot on, I was very happy with Rega for like 20 years. Also those simple decks are infinitely upgradeable - @TheMarlin has info on that. I got mine upgraded incrementally over many evolutions by SRM_tech. Stuart Mitchell is very good, very friendly. Though the P50 already has a lot of the potential upgrades already done.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    edited May 2023
    I have a tonne of Rega upgrades I’m going to part out soon if anyone is interested. 

Michael Lim Plinth
    Michael Lim motor housing 
    Michael Lim outer plinth with lid 
    Fidelity Designs Delrin bearing
    Fidelity Designs Machined and balanced aircraft grade aluminium sub platter
    and 2Kg Fidelity Designs Delrin platter. 
    Also available, a Michell Technoarm 2
    Rega Neo Power Supply
    Rega 24v upgrade motor 

loads of other stuff too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Check my signature :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    Checking in.

Currently in the last part of saving for this. I  have been speaking to  the high end hifi shop Billy Vee in Lewisham. Also had some long conversations with my vinyl maniac friend who inherited his dads 80's Rega P3, I think, with only a  few repairs required, which is testimony to its quality I think.

Rega Planar 50 ( P3 with a few upgrades - power supply and cartridge) £880
    Rega IO £420
    Rega Kyte speakers £399
    Rega Wall bracket £180
    Speaker stands £180
    Rega kyte bracket £30
    Cables £30

Going all Rega as I don't have the knowledge or owned  experience to  match tables and speakers etc and everything you read seems to be positive and  for what it is good value.

Realised my floors  will be a nightmare  and cause the needle to skip and as a bonus I think the mounted bracket will look rad.

All in all knocking on the door of  £2,000. Definetly alot but excited about the idea I could have this for the rest of my life and get 1000s of hours of joy from it. Bargain.

I will add a cd player and a tape player as funds repopulate  but nothing mega expensive. Will do some more research  and get a cool looking refurbished  Cassette deck with VU meters which would be the  dream ha.

Going ro make my own vinyl storage table to run under the turntable in theory so that way I can  optimise the positioning of the turntable and speakers.

Will keep the thread updated. Hopefully will be able to go to Billy Vees as not far from me as they have a demo unit avaliable to hear. 

That’s nice setup. Have you approached Audio T, their might do a package deal
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited May 2023
    fwiw, and maybe this doesn't add much - 'cos other people have said already - but I have a Rega Planar P1 turntable and it works well after about 6y of regular use.

Rega tempt you to upgrade to other turntables or to add an upgrade pack but I'm happy with P1 for my fairly 'cobbled together' system assembled willy-nilly from the kids old stuff (as regards amps, speakers etc.) Had to buy pre-amp for it as son's 1990's amp had no phono input but still works well.

Good spec I think. Don't need more personally. Has lasted very well.
    I’ve also got an awesome Denon DP55K direct drive turntable. It’s not got a lid, but is in excellent condition.  I’d let that go for £250 (no arm), which is a huge bargain. 
    You’d have to spend thousands to better it. 
    Cheers 
    Marlin

• That’s nice setup. Have you approached Audio T, their might do a package deal
    @KDS Ah Great thanks I will have a look. Billy Vee seems to be a flagship dealer for Rega so I am guessing their margins are better. But will definitely do some research. Thanks!! 
  • Offset said:
    Check my signature :-)
    Thanks @Offset . Yes they do look real nice and a bargain but got my heart on the mega Rega setup now I think.
  • TheMarlin said:
    I have a tonne of Rega upgrades I’m going to part out soon if anyone is interested. 

Michael Lim Plinth
    Michael Lim motor housing 
    Michael Lim outer plinth with lid 
    Fidelity Designs Delrin bearing
    Fidelity Designs Machined and balanced aircraft grade aluminium sub platter
    and 2Kg Fidelity Designs Delrin platter. 
    Also available, a Michell Technoarm 2
    Rega Neo Power Supply
    Rega 24v upgrade motor 

loads of other stuff too!

Thanks for your input @TheMarlin.

Glad I don't now what any of this is yet probably should stay that way ha. Ha another deep hobby hole to explore ha!!
  • viz said:
    That sounds absolutely spot on, I was very happy with Rega for like 20 years. Also those simple decks are infinitely upgradeable - @TheMarlin has info on that. I got mine upgraded incrementally over many evolutions by SRM_tech. Stuart Mitchell is very good, very friendly. Though the P50 already has a lot of the potential upgrades already done.
    Thank @viz that os good to know i'm on a good track with this. I do like to do years of research before I jump into stuff like this ha. 
    The STM Tech silent base is the absolute best bang for your buck Rega upgrade you can get. 

I was hugely impressed with that. I’ve now installed in on my daughters deck, she’s impressed too!
  • stevrossthepipestevrossthepipe Frets: 131
    edited October 2023
    Hi all,

OK this is going to be a longer journey than I thought but slowly moving forward based on good advice. Also with a baby this isn't a huge priority ha but a nice place for my brain to go when I get a moment here and there. 

So the new curveball is:

Took my father in laws Thoren T160 to Audio Gold for a full service thinking it was in a bad way. Turned out was just a very dirty stylus that was causing skipping that they sorted for free. I got talking to them very honest and knowledgable and I have decide to go refurb vintage on the intergtated amp. Was going to get a rega brio but is doesn't excite me in any way and this way should get more for my money.

I was gifted a pair of  British made 70s Celef speakers from my father in law that had been in the loft for 25 + years. Took them in to pair with an amp. One had a speaker fault and one had a tweeter fault so they are going  to service them, and they really rate them and suggest they are worth the repair cost. I suppected this so glad there was a pro to agree. Worst case £300 but best case just some loose wires. They are the good ones apparently and I would love to use them rather than buying new ones - they would sell them for £500 of they were theirs. I'll go back and pair with an amp.

They started showing me a British made  Audiolab 8000a from the 80s, which they think are fantastic and hard to beat. They recap and service them and sell them  for £750 with a year warranty. I also want to explore some of the VU meter 70s style ones for their looks really and that 'warmer' sound. Some nice side by side testing  with the repaired  Celefs will educate my ears and  I'll choose with my ears and ofcourse  wallet ha.£750 would be top wack in theory.

I have put my deposit down on the  Rega P50 ( upgraded P3), so that is a done deal. Billy vee will set it up and talk me through it when I collect it at some point. I have secured that though so can pay when ready which frees up cash for a nicer amp.

Also have the JVC tape player with the VU meters so will be a cool set up. Might get a streamer at some point or might keep it as an  analogue corner.

Will update when I pick an amp!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    That all sounds amazing!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Had an Audiolab 8000A for ten years or more in the past, couldn't fault it, fantastic bit of kit.  I still play records a lot and currently use a Gyrodec and Musical Fidelity A308.