Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Snakehead Tele, refinished - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Snakehead Tele, refinished

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
edited June 2023 in Making & Modding
Long, cold, dark days demand a project and chatting to someone a few days ago who told me he had a Snakehead Tele that he put together from a kit, didn't get to see it, but it sowed the seed of an idea.
Kits no longer seem to be available and parts are a bit scarce, so the Googling began

A body made from a recycled Meranti door turned up on EBay, I made an offer and scored it, it a little rough around the edges, but nothing a bit of sanding wont fix, however the neck pocket is the right size and the pickup rout is in the right place to get the bridge in the correct position..there are a few pin holes on the lower front which Ill fill, but they will be hidden by the scratchplate..

Body arrived today, so I attached a few strips of masking tape and marked out the position of the bridge plate

and aged plate installed

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Neck is currently an Allparts Tele jobby, however Bill @Corvus is making me a Snakehead neck.
    I going to give it slightly modern twist, so there will be a Lil59 humbucker pickup Volume Tone and Eldred wiring on a mini switch, between the pots.
    Im also going to design my own take on the scratchplate and control plate…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited December 2022
    A hour faffing this morning and the control plate is mocked up, might have to use mini pots as room is really restricted…it could probably do with being a quarter inch shorter at each end too..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    This evening while the 2nd Mrs B was watching Arse Gravy on the tellybox, I did a bit more to this joker, 3rd time lucky on the control plate, Ive moved the pots as far apart as I can and if the dimensions of the actual switch that in the mail are correct, it will just fit, it’s tighter that an tight thing from Tight Town, but I think it will work….

Nail holes left over from when the body was someones front door have also been plugged

A bit more sanding and its close to getting a guide coat of primer, to see how bad my sanding is!….

In case anyone out there is actually looking at this drivel heres a photo.

Control plate is screwed down with aged screws (yes I have lost one for the bridge) so I need to age some more….

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Like it !   Proper workhorse in the making.   Looking forward to the test of the updates -  and especially the Corvus neck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    An update on Paul's snakey neck here, it's looking neck-ish, the frets are just freshly in but ends not done. That's next, then thinning the head and doing the transition curve. Then carving the neck itself.
    Obviously more 'inspired by' than any sort of direct copy, with rosewood board and small shell dots, 12" radius etc.

The rosewood (Reid Timber) is nicely coloured already and straight-grained, the maple is nicely straight-grained too.

With other work plus the start of a *&~:{>ing cold, that's probably it for Xmas - might get more done but can't be sure -

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Corvus said:
    An update on Paul's snakey neck here, it's looking neck-ish, the frets are just freshly in but ends not done. That's next, then thinning the head and doing the transition curve. Then carving the neck itself.
    Obviously more 'inspired by' than any sort of direct copy, with rosewood board and small shell dots, 12" radius etc.

The rosewood (Reid Timber) is nicely coloured already and straight-grained, the maple is nicely straight-grained too.

With other work plus the start of a *&~:{>ing cold, that's probably it for Xmas - might get more done but can't be sure -

Looks great Bill

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I’d never come across “Snakehead” Teles before, so now I am more knowledgeable than I was yesterday!

You certainly get these things churned out …. How many this year??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    I’d never come across “Snakehead” Teles before, so now I am more knowledgeable than I was yesterday!

You certainly get these things churned out …. How many this year??
    There was only ever one “proper” Snakehead, that Leo hawked around musicians etc trying to sell his idea of a mass produceable guitar, as far as I can gather the second had the more familiar Tele headstock.

Fender Custom Shop produced a few and of course others have made their own interpretations…

I really cant remember how many Ive done this year, in the background Ive modded several to different pickup combinations etc
    Corvus Tele to Eldered wired Esquire
    StraTele build including changing the neck pickup so it now has two Tele neck pickup's at neck and middle
    Strat Player Plus to H/S
    Challenge entry, that has stalled waiting for the body
    Swapped out a few pickups here and there

Its an addiction, sometimes I even play them!

paulnb57 said:

Its an addiction, sometimes I even play them!

I find that I’m *either* playing *or* building.  All spare time disappears on one or the other.  Never enough time for both.
    :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited December 2022
    Body primed at sundown yesterday, sanded flat today, if its dry tomorrow it might just get a top coat.
    Tuners have arrived so they might get a bit of ageing

edited December 2022
    Lots of progress,

My mini on/on/on switch posted on Dec 9 arrived Xmas Eve and a delivery from 6 String Supplies, gave me pots and caps, so I was able to finally assemble and solder up the control plate, what a fiddle that was with such limited space, good news is, it worked first time! Eldred wired Lil59….

Body in primer was final sanded and I quite liked the look of it, so I gave the whole body a coat of Tru Oil, to give just a bit of sheen, It achieved the look Im going for..

It would have been rude not to bolt it all together, so I did! Neck is a spare Allparts Tele thats gathering dust and will do until the Snakehead is ready.

The mini switch is a bit of a pain as the controls are so close together its easy to catch it when using a pot, so as luck would have it the pots are the same spacing as a Strat, so I think I will get one of those Gilmour switch brackets from Northwest guitars and have just the tip of the switch protruding through the control plate…

Not sure about the scratchplate

Anyroadup, photos

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Looking good that, a cool project.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • photekphotek Frets: 1429
    edited December 2022
    That looks great 1 
    edited December 2022
    Thanks @Teyeplayer and @photek
    Ive ordered a switch plate and had a measure, my pots are currently too far apart (10mm) so Ill have to make another control plate and turn the pots 180 degrees so the solder tabs face each end, It might work, its bloody tight, bit gutted as I made a pretty good job of the first attempt….

Edit
    Wont work, the bracket offsets the switch from the pots centreline. no room at the Inn, bugger!

• Looks fantastic.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Good work, but I couldn't be doing with that control panel, either looks or functionality. Each to their own as they say!
    axisus said:
    Good work, but I couldn't be doing with that control panel, either looks or functionality. Each to their own as they say!
    I know, but its how the prototype was, its ok in use, but as we all know it changed for production Teles

Huge thanks to @Paul_C who donated an Ashtray cover to the cause….

Ill need to age it….

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

Nice.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    tFB Trader
    ^^ looks great with the ashtray on.

The neck's now done and packed for post now. We're going for original style with no bushes; 1/4" tuners are a nice push-fit and we can always counterbore it later if ever needed -

Corvus said:
    ^^ looks great with the ashtray on.

The neck's now done and packed for post now. We're going for original style with no bushes; 1/4" tuners are a nice push-fit and we can always counterbore it later if ever needed -

Fabulous! Thanks Bill

Neck arrived yesterday tea time, so later it got assembled
    Nice packaging from Bill @Corvus no bubble wrap, wrapped in Jute and in a thick cardboard tube, very nice! And MrsB is going to sew something from it!….
    Neck quality is superb, everything I hoped for, nice fat but no too fat profile, sublime fretwork, if I wanted a custom build thats where I would go.

Fitted the tuners and then marked and drilled the neck to body screw holes, stung it up and the nut is pretty much perfect, gave it a rough set up, no buzzes no fretwork needed, fabulous. Its being left to stand for a day or two to settle, then it will be set up proper.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    I had a Snakehead build a while back.  Stupidly sold it. Was an absolutely fabulous guitar!
  • photekphotek Frets: 1429
    Brilliant! Pop a demo up once it’s all settled in :+1: 
  • Looks great Paul! I know where to go for a quality bespoke neck now ;)
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    I only have to look at the curve of that neck to know it’s perfect. Looks a very comfortable handful. Great work both @paulnb57 and Bill @Corvus.
    tFB Trader
    Excellent, looks good that Paul, and glad it went in there without fuss :)  

And cheers @Teyeplayer :+1: 

That’s all looking good to me.
    :+1:

If space is too tight for the mini toggle, could you use a couple of push/push or push/pull pots instead?

Or, could you use a couple of rocker switches, maybe on the top edge of the bridge plate?  
    edited January 2023
    TTony said:
    That’s all looking good to me.

If space is too tight for the mini toggle, could you use a couple of push/push or push/pull pots instead?

Or, could you use a couple of rocker switches, maybe on the top edge of the bridge plate?  
    Some good ideas Tony, I think Im going to sack the Eldred wiring (I have another Tele with it) and replace the tone with a pull pot to coil tap and remake the control plate

The more I look at it the more I dislike the paint colour, its a bit dull and boring, so I can see it all coming apart again for some colour….

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
     A relicced Bone white, with a bakelite pickguard would do that some justice.
    Also, a split coil with some sort of exaggerated tone cap works well, I did it to one of my Jeff Beck style Esquires. ( actually I did a single vol pot, with a pull to activate  wah tone, on a full size humbucker, but you have the coil split option on your vol knob )
    I like it.