Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Metallica return... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Metallica return...

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    I thought that was better than their last 3 albums. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    i'll still take it over anything Megadeth have done in the last couple of decades. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Not a patch on anything Testament or Carcass have done recently, especially Testament if we are talking of the same era.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Reverend said:
    i'll still take it over anything Megadeth have done in the last couple of decades. 
    Not a chance!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    impmann said:
    impmann said:
    @impmann You're now living in a fantasy world. I've never heard of it. It doesn't exist. 

Christ, talk about The Thing That Should Not Be (now entitled Nyarlathotep, for maximum cool points).
    You not heard of the album Lulu? I'm very sorry to ruin your day by telling you it really does exist... and its "challenging". :-)

Not fantasy, unfortunately. :-)
    I genuinely tried. Lou sounds like a raving lunatic. Horrible. 
    They appeared on Jools Holland back in the day to perform this drivel live... it looked like a confused old man being bullied by a bunch of biker dudes, whilst a poor quality tribute band ruined some classic rock in the background as the old man recited random words in a random order to stop them from playing. 

Truly awful.
    I need to revisit that, as your description made me laugh:

"Just stand at the front, make noises, words, whatever comes into your head.  Or we will kick the living shit out of you."

Awful
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gilly said:
    What did you expect? It sounds like Metallica. It’s like moaning about a new AC/DC album because it sounds like their other stuff.

But it's not the same thing. You had the likes of AC/DC, Ramones or Motorhead who stubbornly played their stuff for decades, and that was it. On the other hand, Metallica first awkwardly tried to fit in 90s with Load/Reload, then sort of tried to be edgy/whatever on St. Anger, and so on.

I get the impression that they tend to overthink every next release instead of letting it flow organically.
    Load/Reload are metallicas best albums! Not even joking...actually maybe jsutice for all. Theyre definitely up there though. Tbh the new track sits for me at around the same level as that one they did for mission impossible. Pretty decent..not as good as load/reload but better than everything from st anger onwards. 

Oh except no leaf clover I guess...that was great. Was so disappointed how boring S&M2 was though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @impmann This is clear proof that they have no shame. Utterly bizarre. The idea seemed sound but, surely, the first jam should have seen Metallica giggling in disbelief and finding their excuses. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    impmann said:

I haven't watched the clips, but my first reaction of seeing the stills was fucking hell, Jason Newsted was looking rough then.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Gilly said:
    What did you expect? It sounds like Metallica. It’s like moaning about a new AC/DC album because it sounds like their other stuff.
    I think AC/DC are actually in much the same position as Metallica - they were brilliant for a decade, but have been sub-par for the last three quarters of their career.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Lol at this thread, you can dislike this song and the band but they're the greatest heavy band of all time whether you like it or not. It's like the old man shouting at clouds, pointless, it's not your thing I get it, but then the ridiculous pile on starts, internet I suppose. 

It's far from the best thing they've done, what's going to compete with genuine stone cold classic records anyway? This is a song nearly 60 year olds have written and it sounds great. Talentless, don't talk shite and I agree with Reverend, it's better than anything Megadave has written since probably Marty and Nick left.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Boromedic Bit odd that you rail against the thread but then get into Megadeth bashing. I’m amazed Hetfield sings better than ever at his age. Love it. Still great live. 

@Philly_Q Iron Maiden too. I guess most bands. Age, eh :(

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Reverend said:
    Agreed.

Whilst I have time for both, Mustaine's voice is never that great for anything melodic I'm afraid.

Some strong opinions in the thread about these guys I can see!

Mind you, I can't stand Bonamassa/Mayer and I always get into the threads about those two boring the living cr** out of me with dullness. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited November 2022
    @Boromedic Bit odd that you rail against the thread but then get into Megadeth bashing. I’m amazed Hetfield sings better than ever at his age. Love it. Still great live. 

@Philly_Q Iron Maiden too. I guess most bands. Age, eh
    Well I'm not bashing Megadave, I don't mind his stuff at all, this is just better! I can't rail against opinions, just bullshit like talentless. James is the best metal frontman for me too, he's like a machine!

@Boromedic Bit odd that you rail against the thread but then get into Megadeth bashing. I’m amazed Hetfield sings better than ever at his age. Love it. Still great live. 

@Philly_Q Iron Maiden too. I guess most bands. Age, eh :(
    For me Maiden have still, just about, got it.  They've had their ups and downs but I really liked Senjutsu - perhaps because I've listened to it much more than some of the other recent albums, so it grew on me.

But yes, on the whole I think very few bands get better with age.  Most have peaked by their third or fourth album then if they're lucky they stay "not bad".
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    I doubt Metallica and co care, they are already all multimillionaires and so this is just something to do in between shopping, travelling and eating. 
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited November 2022
    Philly_Q said:

@Philly_Q Iron Maiden too. I guess most bands. Age, eh
    For me Maiden have still, just about, got it.  They've had their ups and downs but I really liked Senjutsu - perhaps because I've listened to it much more than some of the other recent albums, so it grew on me.

But yes, on the whole I think very few bands get better with age.  Most have peaked by their third or fourth album then if they're lucky they stay "not bad".
    Worth a read: "Exit Stage Left. The Curious afterlife of rockstars"
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    stonevibe said:
    I doubt Metallica and co care, they are already all multimillionaires and so this is just something to do in between shopping, travelling and eating. 

In fairness Metallica almost perpetually seem to be touring and making live appearances.

I don't know why people get so het(field) up by everything Metallica do. Every thread on them across the internet is exactly the same; "first four albums", "Load and ReLoad were shit", "trash can lid drums", "Kirk sucks", "Megadeth are better" etc ad infinitum. I was 17 when St Anger came out and people all trotted out the same old stuff then. And Metallica get stick for being unoriginal and tired :D

This new song is just like all the other 60-year olds in bands who said all they had to say 30+ years ago. It'll be exactly like the new Megadeth album for me; I'll listen to it once, then instantly forget it.
  • Bidley said:
    stonevibe said:

In fairness Metallica almost perpetually seem to be touring and making live appearances.

I don't know why people get so het(field) up by everything Metallica do. Every thread on them across the internet is exactly the same; "first four albums", "Load and ReLoad were shit", "trash can lid drums", "Kirk sucks", "Megadeth are better" etc ad infinitum. I was 17 when St Anger came out and people all trotted out the same old stuff then. And Metallica get stick for being unoriginal and tired :D

This new song is just like all the other 60-year olds in bands who said all they had to say 30+ years ago. It'll be exactly like the new Megadeth album for me; I'll listen to it once, then instantly forget it.

Don't know for the others, but I'm simply expressing my opinion on them and their work. I could praise their post-80s stuff, but that would be a lie :)

Really don't have problem with it, if they're still enjoying their stuff, more power to them.
  • Boromedic said:
    they're the greatest heavy band of all time 
    No. I'd put Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, or Judas Priest ahead. And others. 

• SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Well, Justin Hawkins likes it.

But then, he seems to approach music by looking for stuff to enjoy in what he hears, rather than to niggle it whilst tearing up a beermat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Snags said:
    Well, Justin Hawkins likes it.

But then, he seems to approach music by looking for stuff to enjoy in what he hears, rather than to niggle it whilst tearing up a beermat.
    Or to get clicks because my YouTube feed is full of reaction/breakdown videos. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I imagine Metallica fans all looking like beavis and butthead. 
    Boromedic said:
    they're the greatest heavy band of all time 
    No. I'd put Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, or Judas Priest ahead. And others. 
    Sabbath would be the closest contender being the (almost) originators of the genre. Maiden and Priest are great, but Metallica simply are the greatest. Maiden and Priest are slightly too niche, neither of them could headline Glasto yet Tallica did it. Metallica have sold more albums, sold more merch, sold more tickets, played bigger venues than anyone else in heavy metal. The way they've transcended the genre is absolutely insane, the other bands you mention are big in the metal pond. Metallica are big in the music ocean, that's the difference, they crossed over. People don't like that about them l, but it's simple truth.

Our opinions may differ on who is the greatest but the independent facts bear out the argument, I love Maiden (not so much Priest but I like them), in fact lately I've listened to them more than anyone else. They've done well to get back on the level after the Blaze era, not selling out stadiums though are they? Their tour next year is 10,000 seat arenas, meanwhile the greatest heavy band of all time is doing 2 nights at Stade De France and the like. 

We can keep going around in circles, I'll agree to disagree... ;)

edited November 2022
    I imagine Metallica fans all looking like beavis and butthead. 
    Which one are you? ;)

• Ah the confidence of a fanboy stating preference as established fact. 

• @Boromedic ;It's not just sales that equate to greatness though, is it?  According to Wikipedia, Katy Perry has sold more albums than Metallica.

I think Iron Maiden or AC/DC could 100% nail G;

Anyway, much as I started this, we all like what we like and this has clearly proven a worthwhile distraction for some of us.  Even if I should actually be working.

My band, Red For Dissent
    Ah the confidence of a fanboy stating preference as established fact. 
    Lol, well the facts are the facts are they not? Are Maiden selling out stadiums? What are Priest up to now? You stated preference, I stated mine with facts too. It's still my preference but the facts bear it out. 

• I'm sure you meant "most popular", not "greatest" of all time.
    Boromedic said:
    What are Priest up to now?  
    Well, they just got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, sort of.  Although I guess Metallica have been in for about 15 years.
  • Boromedic said:
    I imagine Metallica fans all looking like beavis and butthead. 
    Which one are you? ;)

I'm the drummer.