Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Metallica return... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Metallica return...

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3503
edited April 2023 in Music
Having recently eulogised like a fanboy about Megadeth's most recent album (on reflection, some great, some average), I was excited to hear this. 

Conclusion is that it's unmemorable, boring and doesn't remotely excite me for an album. Kill 'Em All is fun but doesn't need a retread now. Minus points for the shit Latin title that doesn't appear to connect to the lyrics. At least the solo isn't just wah...and Hetfield is now a better singer than ever.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    They've given it a good go and that's all that matters.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 675
    Every time since 1992. New Metallica song comes out:
    Me: "Ooh, I'll give that a listen."
    Also me (30 seconds later):

DefaultM said:

Nothing Else Matters was right there, bro.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Moloch said:

DefaultM said:

Nothing Else Matters was right there, bro.

I'm genuinely devastated.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I thought that was better than their last 3 albums. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Beato did a reaction vid

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I like it. Not enough bass in the mix but the drume sound great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    Sounds like a bland version of The Prince 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited November 2022
    It's less than four minutes.  That's good.  Now if only the album was going to be less than two hours....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Harsh. I think it’s very good. They’re never going to release another MOP level album at this stage. The title isn’t marvellous, I’ll agree on that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Maybe merge with the previous thread on this?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/238586/new-metallica#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I like it. Great solo and a decent tune. Somehow reminds me of Motörhead. Now turn up the bass

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Best thing they've done for a long time - but I guess thats not saying much.

It sounds like a cover of a long-lost Motorhead track to me - and a bit of NWOBHM thrown in besides.

That solo is *awful* though - Victor Irrelevant rides again. Genuinely sounds like something my son would play and he's 9 - and can't really play guitar.

Revisiting their heritage isn't a bad thing  - basically they can't win on that one, they can't really "evolve" because the diehard 'Tallica fans will hate it, they can't release something that harks back to their past because the diehard 'Tallica fans will say it sounds too similar to "x". They're never going to release a Drill or Ambient track are they?

I don't hate it - and thats a big improvement in my opinion of anything they've done for some time. Good luck to them.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Minus points for the shit Latin title that doesn't appear to connect to the lyrics. 
    It's literally the chorus. 

I like it. Not enough bass in the mix but the drume sound great. 

If Metallica had sat down and written a mission statement in 1981, "not enough bass in the mix" might have been it.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    edited November 2022
    For me it's not inherently bad thing for them to throw in some older influences in the mix. But this sounds like a half assed effort, mediocre riffing from their NWOTBHM recycle bin, along with plastic sound and no bass.

Then again, I've lost my interest in them after Justice. First four albums were organic, original and influential on the genre, Black was solid mainstream rock album for me, and after that It's all following suit and/or trying too hard to reinvent themselves with every release. IMO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Minus points for the shit Latin title that doesn't appear to connect to the lyrics. 

@english_bob ...and this make the title relevant to the verses in what way?  It just strikes me as trying to have pretentious/cool/edgy/interesting title but one that is not remotely connected to the actual lyric.  It might as well have been called Sous Vide.

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Minus points for the shit Latin title that doesn't appear to connect to the lyrics. 

@english_bob ...and this make the title relevant to the verses in what way?  It just strikes me as trying to have pretentious/cool/edgy/interesting title but one that is not remotely connected to the actual lyric.  It might as well have been called Sous Vide.
    Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    Anticipation
    In domination
    A sea of hearts beat as one, unified
    Magnification
    All generations
    Approaching thunder awaiting the light

[Pre-Chorus]
    Full speed or nothing
    Full speed or nothing

[Chorus]
    Lux æterna
    Lux æterna, yeah

[Verse 2]
    Exhilaration
    Frenzied sensation
    Kindred alliance connected inside
    Commiseration
    Sonic salvation
    Cast out the demons that strangle your life

[Pre-Chorus]
    Full speed or nothing
    Full speed or nothing
    [Chorus]
    Lux æterna
    Lux æterna, yeah

[Bridge]
    Lux æterna

[Guitar Solo]

[Verse 3]
    Emancipation
    Kill isolation
    Never alone for the feelings alike
    Amplification
    Lightning the nation
    Never alive more than right here tonight

[Pre-Chorus]
    Full speed or nothing
    Full speed or nothing

[Chorus]
    Lux æterna
    Lux ætеrna, yeah

[Outro]
    Light it

Lux aeterna - meaning:

What does Lux Aeterna meaning in english?
    The text (in Latin) is from the Roman Catholic Requiem Mass: Lux aeterna luceat eis, Domine, cum sanctis tuis in aeternum, quia pius es. Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine; et lux perpetua luceat eis, which means "May everlasting light shine upon them, O Lord, with thy saints in eternity, for thou art merciful.

So in short: its "Everlasting Light"

I don't think its pretentious or "edgy" to use different language. It maybe something that you don't understand, which in turn could broaden your outlook if you can be arsed to google it for yourself... ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wow, thanks, @impmann - educated, where's the patronised button? 

I already knew what it meant - and still think it's a shite, tenuous title for a Hit The Lights re-tread.

My band, Red For Dissent
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1112
    What did you expect? It sounds like Metallica. It’s like moaning about a new AC/DC album because it sounds like their other stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    For me, Metallica have always been tedious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2008
    It's hard to hate Metallica because I still love puppets and lightning. I gave up listening after st anger. That was the final straw for me. Kirk seems like a nice guy though. Can't believe he's not playing da bluez on greeny Moore (tongue in cheek)  =)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Gilly said:
    What did you expect? It sounds like Metallica. It’s like moaning about a new AC/DC album because it sounds like their other stuff.
    Not really, @Gilly Their last several albums, even that one with the dustbin lid drums, all had good lead tracks. This, to me, is t remotely memorable or interesting. Disappointed is probably the best description of my feelings. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Gilly said:
    Not really, @Gilly Their last several albums, even that one with the dustbin lid drums, all had good lead tracks. This, to me, is t remotely memorable or interesting. Disappointed is probably the best description of my feelings. 
    Even Lulu? 

• tabanotabano Frets: 90
    I normally don’t comment on other bands work but these guys..this is a band that owes their little amount of good music to Bob Rock and Cliff Burton, I can buy that years light ago one of the 3 members that appear in the vídeo came up with a decent riff occasionally.. just occasionally..
    talentless...
  • Gilly said:

But it's not the same thing. You had the likes of AC/DC, Ramones or Motorhead who stubbornly played their stuff for decades, and that was it. On the other hand, Metallica first awkwardly tried to fit in 90s with Load/Reload, then sort of tried to be edgy/whatever on St. Anger, and so on.

I get the impression that they tend to overthink every next release instead of letting it flow organically.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Their version of Whiskey In The Jar cemented my dislike of them.  Just bloody terrible.
  • @impmann You're now living in a fantasy world. I've never heard of it. It doesn't exist. 

Christ, talk about The Thing That Should Not Be (now entitled Nyarlathotep, for maximum cool points).

My band, Red For Dissent
    @impmann You're now living in a fantasy world. I've never heard of it. It doesn't exist. 

Christ, talk about The Thing That Should Not Be (now entitled Nyarlathotep, for maximum cool points).
    You not heard of the album Lulu? I'm very sorry to ruin your day by telling you it really does exist... and its "challenging". :-)

Not fantasy, unfortunately. :-)

• impmann said:
    @impmann You're now living in a fantasy world. I've never heard of it. It doesn't exist. 

You not heard of the album Lulu? I'm very sorry to ruin your day by telling you it really does exist... and its "challenging". :-)

I genuinely tried. Lou sounds like a raving lunatic. Horrible. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    impmann said:

They appeared on Jools Holland back in the day to perform this drivel live... it looked like a confused old man being bullied by a bunch of biker dudes, whilst a poor quality tribute band ruined some classic rock in the background as the old man recited random words in a random order to stop them from playing. 

Truly awful.

• impmann said:
    impmann said:

They appeared on Jools Holland back in the day to perform this drivel live... it looked like a confused old man being bullied by a bunch of biker dudes, whilst a poor quality tribute band ruined some classic rock in the background as the old man recited random words in a random order to stop them from playing. 

Truly awful.
    I need to revisit that, as your description made me laugh:

"Just stand at the front, make noises, words, whatever comes into your head.  Or we will kick the living shit out of you."

My band, Red For Dissent