Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Metallica return... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Metallica return...

What's Hot

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    Boromedic said:
    For me Death Magnetic sounded more like proper Metallica. But the production is so bad I find it gives me a headache. It's pretty much unlistenable on headphones. 
    It's a very tiring listen on streaming or CD, it gets very fatiguing very fast. The vinyl mix is better and far less tiring, still a difficult listen in places though due to the overlong arrangements. 
    There are mixes around on YouTube that sound much better, sourced from Guitar Hero stems. 
    That's hilarious! Same goes for St Anger too. Tbh having watch some kind of monster I think the problem is that Lars especially is a bit of a control freak but has also totally fried his hearing. They need someone working with them who either has big enough balls or is a big enough name to just tell them to fuck off and let the producer/mixer do their job to a certain extent. 
    Same with Iron Maiden. Clearly Steve's hearing is fucked, but he gets final say. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    That's hilarious! Same goes for St Anger too. Tbh having watch some kind of monster I think the problem is that Lars especially is a bit of a control freak but has also totally fried his hearing. They need someone working with them who either has big enough balls or is a big enough name to just tell them to fuck off and let the producer/mixer do their job to a certain extent. 
    I remember watching the film (and the extra material on the DVD) all those years ago, and I think several people got carried away and forgot what their jobs were.

There was the psychologist guy trying to suggest lyrics, for a start... But I think Bob Rock was really at fault, he started thinking of himself as a band member rather than a producer.  He should've said OK, you've got this idea about doing things differently, and that's fun and interesting... but it's shit and you shouldn't expect people to waste good money on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited April 2023
    12 seasons...a great album that could have been a classic if they'd have trimmed the meat off in a few places, particularly the title track. Same problem with death magnetic and st anger. 
    12 seasons...a great album that could have been a classic if they'd have trimmed the meat off in a few places, particularly the title track. 
    So you'd suggest they trim five-sixths of it?
  • Philly_Q said:
    12 seasons...a great album that could have been a classic if they'd have trimmed the meat off in a few places, particularly the title track. 
    Perhaps 5 seasons would have been enough 
  • Philly_Q said:
    Give me Seasons in the Abyss and I’m way happier. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    edited April 2023
    NVM weird double post.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Boromedic said:
    For me Death Magnetic sounded more like proper Metallica. But the production is so bad I find it gives me a headache. It's pretty much unlistenable on headphones. 
    It's a very tiring listen on streaming or CD, it gets very fatiguing very fast. The vinyl mix is better and far less tiring, still a difficult listen in places though due to the overlong arrangements. 
    There are mixes around on YouTube that sound much better, sourced from Guitar Hero stems. 
    Yeah, I've heard some of them and downloaded one, the vinyl sounds better :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Philly_Q said:
    Give me Seasons in the Abyss and I’m way happier. 
    I listened to that album the other day....what a classic
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Philly_Q said:
    I remember watching the film (and the extra material on the DVD) all those years ago, and I think several people got carried away and forgot what their jobs were.

There was the psychologist guy trying to suggest lyrics, for a start... But I think Bob Rock was really at fault, he started thinking of himself as a band member rather than a producer.  He should've said OK, you've got this idea about doing things differently, and that's fun and interesting... but it's shit and you shouldn't expect people to waste good money on it.
    I mean I can understand how it happens with a band member. When you're writing youre so invested in the material that you can't imagine someone having a close enough connection to the vision to do a better job than your input. But they have enough money to hire top shelf people who have proven histories doing just that.

The hangers on were just trying to ride coat tails though.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    I'm struggling with it, it sounds all similar-paced, I think I'm tired of the Metallica's sound and Hetfield's voice. 

I've been listening to Overkill's new album, also thrash veterans, and dare I say it, I prefer it, it sounds more alive and energetic..... the leads, drumming and riffs sound better to me. 

That voice though.......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 445
    edited April 2023
    Just giving it my first play through having heard a couple of the singles only once. I think it's better than Hardwired upon first impression, although that may have had better highs but was less consistent. 

Agree with who ever said about the polite guitar tones, they also seem a little down in the mix and fizzy. This seems to be the same sound as they are using live now (kempers). Nothing wrong with that but just needs a tad more gain to me.

High hat is a little too loud too. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    edited April 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Of course I don't know Liam Gallagher personally.
    How do you know he is a cunt then?
    The way he conducts himself in every interview I've ever heard or seen.  But I don't think I need you chasing me around demanding justification for a comment?  I guess you've never expressed an opinion on anyone in the public eye without first meeting their extended family and spending a couple of weeks backpacking around the Pyrenees with them?
    so interviews 30 years ago, when he was 21 years old then?
      Hes well known to be one of the nicest people in rock (unlike Noel), and does so much for charity. A real top bloke. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Of course I don't know Liam Gallagher personally.
    How do you know he is a cunt then?
    The way he conducts himself in every interview I've ever heard or seen.  But I don't think I need you chasing me around demanding justification for a comment?  I guess you've never expressed an opinion on anyone in the public eye without first meeting their extended family and spending a couple of weeks backpacking around the Pyrenees with them?
    so interviews 30 years ago, when he was 21 years old then?
      Hes well known to be one of the nicest people in rock (unlike Noel), and does so much for charity. A real top bloke. 
    Oh for fuck's sake.  Yes he's absolutely marvellous.  I'll join his fan club and wear the badge and scarf and everything.  Would you like me to make a donation to his favourite charity, in penance?

My Friend Liam Gallagher GIF - My Friend Liam Gallagher Oasis - Discover   Share GIFs
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    Just giving it my first play through having heard a couple of the singles only once. I think it's better than Hardwired upon first impression, although that may have had better highs but was less consistent. 

Agree with who ever said about the polite guitar tones, they also seem a little down in the mix and fizzy. This seems to be the same sound as they are using live now (kempers). Nothing wrong with that but just needs a tad more gain to me.

High hat is a little too loud too. 
    They've been using Fractals live (Axe III's now I think?) for a long time. The new album guitar tones are a welcome (for me anyway) return to a blend of Marshall and Mesa (in James's case) probably with some Diezel too. Tallica album tones are nearly always a blend of amps these days. Last album tone I really liked was Garage Inc. their best sounding album for me which James used Wizards on. They also had to do it in 2 weeks so they couldn't edit the life out of it!! 

• https://youtu.be/Xv5Rhp3fX60

Impressive, and actually makes me respect Lars a bit more…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Ooops naysayers...in with a bullet at number 1 Pop Pickers  :lol: 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65345911
  • Ooops naysayers...in with a bullet at number 1 Pop Pickers  :lol: 
    For what it’s worth.

• Ooops naysayers...in with a bullet at number 1 Pop Pickers  :lol: 
    One
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ooops naysayers...in with a bullet at number 1 Pop Pickers  :lol: 
    Some people will be very pleased about this, hahahaha. :)

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Philly_Q said:
    I think he sounds overly defensive.

He says “For me, what’s appropriate is playing for the song and playing in the moment”, and I agree...

But this is the same guy that said “With this album I went in intentionally to improvise 20, 30 solos, give them all to Lars and Greg [Fidelman, producer], and go, ‘You guys edit them!’”. 

That's not playing for the song, that's playing a load of meaningless nonsense and leaving someone else to make sense of it.

Yeah

edited April 2023
    Well, I am finally listening to 72 Seasons.

Only halfway through on my first listen, so I probably shouldn't be passing judgement just yet.... but I like it!  The overall sound seems less "just listen how fucking heavy we are!" than the last few albums, maybe that's a negative for some but I prefer it.  And Hetfield's vocals are better than they have been for decades.

Maybe I'll have got bored after the full 77 minutes, but fingers crossed....

(Next-day edit:  I did get a bit bored.  And I'm underwhelmed by the contributions of Lars and Kirk.  But I do think it's their best album for quite some time.)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^  Blimey, was it really worth resurrecting the thread for that?
    edited May 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Made me chuckle TBF mate

I suppose the bigger takeaway is that I'd wager a fair few people are just enjoying the album and not engaging in some of the butthurt online. (Not so much here btw)

I agree with most of your comments on the new one btw, although I didn't get bored with it. Lars actually I thought was decent (in that signature Lars way of course), most straightforward he's played since the 90s anyway, the less said about the majority of Kirk's contributions is probably for the best, although they get better with more listens (or perhaps the disappointment wears off!). It's a great sounding record too, lovely guitar and even decent bass tones for once

Boromedic said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Made me chuckle TBF mate ;)
    Fair enough!  I guess it's just that American type of humour, doesn't really appeal to me.  I'll take my grumpy head off. ;)

It does call out a lot of the cliche Metallica complaints... but they brought those complaints on themselves.  And yet, on the other hand, there are many, many bands who don't match up to their early material any more, but don't get so much stick.  I guess Metallica pay the price of being such a big name.
    Philly_Q said:
    Boromedic said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Made me chuckle TBF mate ;)
    Fair enough!  I guess it's just that American type of humour, doesn't really appeal to me.  I'll take my grumpy head off. ;)

It does call out a lot of the cliche Metallica complaints... but they brought those complaints on themselves.  And yet, on the other hand, there are many, many bands who don't match up to their early material any more, but don't get so much stick.  I guess Metallica pay the price of being such a big name.
    Yeah, I think that's part of it, their size attracts the detractors (album title?!!). I never mind honest and thoughtful opinions when people have actually given it a chance, but some folk will go into it with a mindset of they already hate it before they've even listened. That also doesn't bother me, hence the chuckle at the meme :) it's not me losing out in the end so, qué sera.

I've listened to 72 Seasons a few times now, although I'm not enthused enough to keep going back to it.  I think I'll withdraw the "bored" comment, I don't find it anywhere near as wearying as Death Magnetic or Hardwired, although they all have about the same total running time.  Maybe I'll listen again tomorrow, if I have time.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    edited May 2023

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    My mate shot and produced this:   They sound pretty good, in fairness (slight tuning issue on Sad But True?)

https://youtu.be/WMqLIYfzkSg