Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). String explorer - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

String explorer

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    It's a bloody good post this. Bookmarked it for reference last year. Cheers @Tannin ;

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Well they have traditionally been exactly the same as the Martin-branded ones. I've just been playing this set again and no doubt about it, they are excellent strings. Don't tell Martin but I'd be happy to pay full price for them. :)

(Sometimes I wonder why I keep sampling new ones. The reality is that I'd be pretty happy if I only ever had Galli LS, GHS Americana, and Darco. Oh, and Phillipe Bousset. And Adamas. Not to mention DR Sunbeams. And Galli Jazz Flats, of course. Also .... )

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Well it may be that you're not as string-happy as you think, or it could just as essily be that you just want to try what's out there.

Regarding the Martin factory, they turn out some fine acoustics, but the reasons behind why they make some of the decisions they do? Well, good luck finding *that* out!

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • moremore Frets: 222
    edited June 2023
    In 1959, C D Addario & Son ,  at the time a classical instrument string manufacturer, joined Archaic String Manufacturing to form Darco Music . They developed nickel  and bronze wound strings, C F Martin was their  biggest  customer, eventually becoming a partner. In 1972, John  Addario left  Darco and started the D'Addario  String Company . Darco became wholly  Martins , and I believe Addario  made strings for Martin as well . Martin has owned a factory in Navoja, Mexico ,for a long time, manufacturing a number of different budget guitars,  including The Backpacker and all of thier ukuleles  . Originally, American made strings were  shipped to  Mexico  to be packaged by hand , and shipped back .Now, most of Martin strings are made in Mexico .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • moremore Frets: 222
    edited June 2023
    jdgm said:
    Where did you buy the Galli strings please?
    Years ago, I was the sole UK importer of Galli products . Galli is an old musical string manufacturer and is still controlled by the same family. They  were a difficult company to work with  and they decided to make their  strings  exclusively available online ,  from themselves , and our relationship ended. I don't think that work as well as they hoped , so limited stock is available from different retailers . If you can't find what you're looking for , It can be found on  Galli's web site. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers @more, that is really useful information. What a shame Galli are difficult to work with, I really love their products. 

--------------------------

I'm finding Lord of the Strings in the Netherlands is a good source, not only for Galli, but for numerous other European-origin strings I don't see at the big US dealers (and also for one or two that are reasonably priced where the Yanks ask a heap). Great range, fast delivery, and only €5.95. 

Unsurprisingly, US-made strings are often (but not always) cheaper sourced from the USA.

As for the three (that I know of) British manufacturers, Rotosounds seem to be pretty much the same price wherever you buy them (Europe, UK, USA, Europe or Australia.) , Picato and Legacy are cheaper at Strings Direct in the UK. (I'm ignoring Newtone as a British maker for the moment as one normally deals with them direct.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It is sad to be updating this once again knowing that our good friend Melish won't be reading it and taking part. I miss him. I suspect we all do.

It's been a long time since an update largely because I've been travelling to Europe and Britain. My first time!  With decent luck I'll return for a longer stay in a couple of years. Maybe I'll meet some of you then. In addition, I've been trying several familiar strings on unfamiliar instruments, for example Adamas Composite on the rosewood Messiah, Phillipe Bossets on the delicate little Mineur (a bit much for it actually - that very light Englemann Spruce top is easy to overdrive), and Galli LS on the Guild (they worked very well on it, rather to my surprise). Anyway, not many new strings this time around. 

First, some new strings ordered but not yet tried yet: Picato 80/20s from the UK and Fisoma F2120M 80/20s from Germany. In phosphor bronze, a make called Career from I don't know where, Cleartone Reds from the US (not quite phosphor bronze, some other alloy), and Dean Markley 2081 Helix HD which claim to have "hyper eliptical" winding, which sounds like 24 carat marketing bullshit but you never know. (I ordered 11s by mistake, I usually like 12s.). Also Fender phosphor bronze from Mexico, Dragão D100 Guitarra Acustica from Spain, and Legacy Tru-Tone from the UK.

As for actual new strings actually tried out for the first time, there are only two: Adamas Roundcores which, unlike their excellent US-made hex cores, are made in China. First impression was that they were ratty and weak, rather similar to the ultra-cheap Chinese Ekos I tried last time. I even wondered if they were from the same factory. But after they had been on for a few days they settled down nicely and I have decided that I like them even though they play like 11s. On the other hand, the excellent Adamas hex cores are plenty soft enough and have a better tone and feel. The other new one is the John Pierce Silk & Bronze  set I put on the Mineur yesterday.  I like them.

• Tannin said:
    It is sad to be updating this once again knowing that our good friend Melish won't be reading it and taking part. I miss him. I suspect we all do.

It's been a long time since an update largely because I've been travelling to Europe and Britain. My first time!  With decent luck I'll return for a longer stay in a couple of years. Maybe I'll meet some of you then. In addition, I've been trying several familiar strings on unfamiliar instruments, for example Adamas Composite on the rosewood Messiah, Phillipe Bossets on the delicate little Mineur (a bit much for it actually - that very light Englemann Spruce top is easy to overdrive), and Galli LS on the Guild (they worked very well on it, rather to my surprise). Anyway, not many new strings this time around. 

First, some new strings ordered but not yet tried yet: Picato 80/20s from the UK and Fisoma F2120M 80/20s from Germany. In phosphor bronze, a make called Career from I don't know where, Cleartone Reds from the US (not quite phosphor bronze, some other alloy), and Dean Markley 2081 Helix HD which claim to have "hyper eliptical" winding, which sounds like 24 carat marketing bullshit but you never know. (I ordered 11s by mistake, I usually like 12s.). Also Fender phosphor bronze from Mexico, Dragão D100 Guitarra Acustica from Spain, and Legacy Tru-Tone from the UK.

As for actual new strings actually tried out for the first time, there are only two: Adamas Roundcores which, unlike their excellent US-made hex cores, are made in China. First impression was that they were ratty and weak, rather similar to the ultra-cheap Chinese Ekos I tried last time. I even wondered if they were from the same factory. But after they had been on for a few days they settled down nicely and I have decided that I like them even though they play like 11s. On the other hand, the excellent Adamas hex cores are plenty soft enough and have a better tone and feel. The other new one is the John Pierce Silk & Bronze  set I put on the Mineur yesterday.  I like them.

Mellish has passed? Oh that's sad. My deepest sympathies to his loved ones.