Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wilko Johnson - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wilko Johnson

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Absolutely fascinating bloke. Read his autobiography, you won’t regret it.
    It's on my bookshelf waiting to be read when I retire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    roberty said:
    That is a real shame. A true one off

Here he is demonstrating his technique with an HH solid state amp

Always loved Wilko and Feelgood - a real fun band, hard not to smile listening to their stuff. Rip fella.

(Off topic a little - if anybody wants, I'll gladly move it - but much and all as I tried, I could never quite get Wilko riffs to sound right. Thought the video might help - but even there, there's a point at the 1:36 mark in the demo he seems to be able to play the rhythm and little finger-picked riff with no visible picking with his right hand at all. Anybody shed some light on how he manages to do that ??)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    RIP to a real one-off. He honoured life.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very sad about this. As a metalhead I don't listen to him often, but I really like his playing and stage presence. Since moving to Southend I always hoped I'd bump into him so I could tell him how pleased I was that his initial prognosis of 9 months was wrong.

...when I finally did bump into him (by the tills in Waitrose, if anyone cares) I bottled it and didn't say anything. RIP Wilko.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Shit. Absolute legend!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Absolutely love Dr Feelgood. Those old videos will be getting some hammer..!
    RIP Wilko
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    So sad - and such a fantastic bloke, always had time for people and was so unnervingly humble. I saw him several times (mainly at the Torrington in North Finchley when I used to live there in the late 80s/early90s but a couple of times in recent years) and he always gave 110%.

RIP Wilko - you'll be missed, mate.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited November 2022
    Sad news indeed. Seen him a couple of times but my abiding memory was at (I believe) The Half Moon in Putney where my mate told Wilko that he needed to put ‘a bit more bite into your solos mate’. He was then subjected to the Wilko stare for the entire second set.
    RIP Wilko.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sad news.R.I.P.
  • So sad about this - I really enjoyed his playing and his attitude from the start. I truly wanted to punch Jeremy Vine for playing Milk and Alcohol as a tribute to him today. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    edited November 2022
    Ah bugger. 
    I remember him in an interview years ago, he was telling when he had literally just received his terminal diagnosis.  He left the hospital and was walking down the street and suddenly felt great and started laughing.  Because, he said, "I was looking at all these people thinking, ‘You are all going to die -- and so am I -- but the difference is that you don't know when, and I do!’"

Existentialist philosophy, right there.  Sad loss. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I thought he had got over his problem and made a full recovery. Sad days,I was only thinking about him yesterday and his radio interviews. RIP Wilko.
  • Really sad. One of rock's characters. Unique player and unique stage presence.

It's not a competition.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
     truly wanted to punch Jeremy Vine for playing Milk and Alcohol as a tribute to him today. 
    He didn't, did he? Terminally stupid...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Sad sad news, such an iconic guitarist. Roxette is one of my fave videos, as a teen I was completely mesmerised by Wilko and they way he looked and moved around on that one. He had 10 years more than he expected so I guess that was a win. A true musician, he loved playing live right to the end.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    impmann said:
     truly wanted to punch Jeremy Vine for playing Milk and Alcohol as a tribute to him today. 
    In all fairness, it's probably not Vine at fault, it's his producer.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657

Interviewer: 'How do you get your guitar sound?' 

Wilko: ' I plug the guitar in here, turn on the amp and turn the knob to here' 

Interviewer: 'What about pedals?' 

Wilko: 'I'm a guitarist not a fucking cyclist!'

tae be or not tae be
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    impmann said:
    In all fairness, it's probably not Vine at fault, it's his producer.
    Radio 2 has form for this, the deaths of Peter Green and Gary Moore both marked by tracks they didn't play on. Would have taken seconds to have checked.

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    Huge loss to the world. Solo at around 2.30 Ian is obviously a less recent loss.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Threads merged.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 103
    My favourite bit of Wilko

• randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Obit in the Guardian, nicely written. He sounds like a fascinating guy. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/nov/23/wilko-johnson-obituary
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • There's a brilliant set on utube of the Feelgoods live and inbetween songs there's this fucking twat
    poncing about with a mic[can't think of his name,a dj I think] introducing the songs...
    After one song he says to the Big Figure....'ooh your quiet are'nt you' the Figure just looks at him
    and calmly replies....'fack off'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    Saw him play on his "farewell" tour back in 2013 @ Koko. Just a great gig - emotional as well given the circumstances. RIP Wilko.
  • Lovely guy.  RIP Wilko.
  • Absolutely gutted. He really was one of a kind, mad as a hatter and so damn honest. Roxette on the OGWT is iconic. Dr Feelgood had a huge influence on the Punk and New Wave bands that followed them and were criminally underrated by much of the music press. I feel compelled to watch Oil City Confidential for the umpteenth time.

RIP Wilko you crazy bastard, you will be very missed.
  • I read this at work earlier this afternoon and had to take a moment.  Very sad.  He was a great chap.

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited November 2022
    This is 15mins well spent.

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter