Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wilko Johnson - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wilko Johnson

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
edited November 2022 in Tributes
Just announced on Facebook and Twitter. I hadn’t really heard of him until BBC’s Rockschool in the 80s, when myself and my guitar-playing friends became instant fans. Intelligent and instantly likeable character. Will hammer out some R&B riffs on my black Telecaster later.

https://twitter.com/wilkojohnson/status/1595358840400248832?s=46&t=UAr8zOzX5WKIjxMZQIdCZg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    One of my heroes, RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Shit, that's really sad news. Absolute legend
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    ^^^^ this. The driving Mick Green influenced Tele, the manic stare and jutting head. An unmistakable stage presence. He fought cancer some years ago and carried on playing (his biography is worth a read). Another of the icons gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Rowby1 said:
    One of my heroes, RIP.
    I was 14 when I saw him running back and forth across a stage with a telecaster and a long coiled cable and tonking out amazing choppy sounds. Blown away then, still blown away now by the energy. 

So long Wilko. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Damn, this is really bad news to hear. He was a brilliant original performer, full of humour & a zest for life, even beating cancer in 2014.
    RIP Wilko.
  • Oh no. That’s terrible. Amazing that he was able to have the surgery and get back to work, I guess it left him weakened though. Blimey. I used to go and see him when he still had hair.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oh no, that's awful news. The versions of Dr Feelgood I've seen were post Wilko but I've heard his playing thousands of times, read his books and enjoyed him as an interviewee on various things. Stumbled my way through a couple of YouTube lessons on his style and played a few of his songs in bands. Such an interesting man and musician 
    RIP
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    :(

RIP Wilko

Thought he was indestructable ! :(
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RIP Wilko. A big hero of mine. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited November 2022
    Shit.  I only saw him a couple of months ago!

* Edit:  July 16th.  So four months ago.  He must have been ill then.  RIP.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    Gutted...

RIP Wilko 
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    A true character and was always him self - no bull - said and did what he believed in -did well to fight surgery and come back for more of life - sad to hear he has now left us  - RIP

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    No Mo'. :frown: 
    Be seeing you.
  • When we were teenagers my best friends band supported him at a local club. We were there all afternoon soundchecking. Wilco turned up later afternoon with that tele in a bin bag. He was super nice and had plenty of time for everyone. 

Absolute gent of a man. 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 2872
    Sad to see this. I was so pleased for him when he announced he was cancer free and started living life to his fullest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    That is a real shame. A true one off

Here he is demonstrating his technique with an HH solid state amp

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Damn.

Just damn.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    That's real shame. He very nearly checked out a few years ago and beat the odds stacked against him. He was a one-off that's for sure. Need to spin Down by the Jetty this evening. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• roberty said:
    That is a real shame. A true one off

Here he is demonstrating his technique with an HH solid state amp

I remember that well , brings a smile to your face even now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    edited November 2022
    Ah that’s sad. Very few people manage to survive pancreatic cancer - but he did and had many more years.  

Dr Feelgood performing Roxette on the OGWT is one of those things I’ll never forget.

RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    No one cooler than Wilko. A sad loss.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
     "   ditto to all the above  "
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    A true original, we won't get another one like him but we're grateful for the one we enjoyed.

RIP. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Just saw this. 

Fuck. 

RIP Wilko. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Big influence on me. Hours trying to get She Does it Right right. Top man RIP
  • Absolutely fascinating bloke. Read his autobiography, you won’t regret it.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4110
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........

Sad news. :-(
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Sad news - one of those players with an instantly recognisable sound and style. That chop he always got from the old black Tele, such a great tone. 

Loved his stage look too - I remember someone remarking that he looked like he'd learned to play in the hallway of his flat, the way he walked back and forth holding the guitar almost like a bayonet. 

Always struck me as a decent sort as well, down to earth. 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Today we have the sad news of the passing of a total legend and a truly lovely chap Wilko Johnson.

There have been many more technical guitar heroes - but very few as humble or self deprecating.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• That’s sad. He was given 10 months to live about ten years ago though, so he didn’t go without a fight!