Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Shoot Out The Lights: Bartel vs Lazy J10 vs Two Rock - A LONG Review - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Shoot Out The Lights: Bartel vs Lazy J10 vs Two Rock - A LONG Review

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Will there be a part 2 for gigging players?

Great in depth review but I never play at home (live in a flat) and would love to know how these compare at a function / small venue / pub whatever when you turn them up a bit and really get some air moving
    If only Chris !

Not gigging at the moment, but that may change hopefully soon...

The Two Rock has already been rehearsed and gigged, and was quite superb and not found wanting.

The LJ would be for small gigs, but it remains a very good home amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 538
    Coda stopped listing Bartel on their website a few weeks ago – I don't know if it means they won't be stocking them again in the future but something to bear in mind in terms of UK availability. 

I'm not sure why so much is made of the cost of these amps. Quality stuff costs money and I don't think £4k or so is all that much in today's world for something that could last decades. People routinely spend £1000+ on Apple gadgets that are often landfill within a few years.

The Two-Rock certainly looks good. Does it sound good when played at genuine home volumes? I'm a bit wary about the idea of 35W at home but if it has an effective master volume.
    Great review Warren..
    We stopped listing a lot of things we import a couple of months ago as we had no idea what the exchange rate was going to be, it was a touch volatile and the rate we’d used was 20 cents higher than the one back then which makes a huge amount of difference to our selling prices.
    Just had a Carr delivery so they’ll be back on soon, 6 Bartel’s early December and 6 more in February 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    DougCoda said:
    Coda stopped listing Bartel on their website a few weeks ago – I don't know if it means they won't be stocking them again in the future but something to bear in mind in terms of UK availability. 

I'm not sure why so much is made of the cost of these amps. Quality stuff costs money and I don't think £4k or so is all that much in today's world for something that could last decades. People routinely spend £1000+ on Apple gadgets that are often landfill within a few years.

The Two-Rock certainly looks good. Does it sound good when played at genuine home volumes? I'm a bit wary about the idea of 35W at home but if it has an effective master volume.
    Great review Warren..
    We stopped listing a lot of things we import a couple of months ago as we had no idea what the exchange rate was going to be, it was a touch volatile and the rate we’d used was 20 cents higher than the one back then which makes a huge amount of difference to our selling prices.
    Just had a Carr delivery so they’ll be back on soon, 6 Bartel’s early December and 6 more in February 
    Do you have the Bartel prices yet, @DougCoda ?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    edited November 2022
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hattigol said:
    DougCoda said:

Great review Warren..
    Also does anyone know what I can get for a kidney?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Should be perfect if @DougCoda are getting Bartels in
    Gives @Wazmeister a chance to get another just in time for his sellers remorse.
    Roseland incoming……
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 538
    Hattigol said:
    DougCoda said:

Great review Warren..
    I’ve got an idea but won’t be 100% until early we get the invoice, there was a degree of stability in the exchange rate before September that just isn’t there now, it is better but I’m very wary!
    I’m not in the shop today but can certainly work out prices on Monday if anyone wants them… email me at doug@coda-music.com 
  • Bit of a finger in the air question regarding the Bartel - at what point does dropping the noise coming out if it hit the point where it’s no longer that special? 
  • Bit of a finger in the air question regarding the Bartel - at what point does dropping the noise coming out if it hit the point where it’s no longer that special? 
    I must say, at no point did I notice that. It's a special amp, and Mark is reknown for his attenuators.
  • Fair, it was a question prompted by seeing a thread elsewhere which I wish I’d saved a link to now! As reference my 1974X at -20db on a rockcrusher is a lot different from -16db (which isn’t drowning out a MacBook speaker, so not loud, it’s probably around TV level) compared to -12 or -8. It sits around there daytime and night time either the TMDR clicked to 0.2w is better or it’s a headphone job.

Cards completely face up - it’s me wondering whether I’d get enough more out of eg a Starwood than the Marshall 18 watter attenuated in a terrace house. I definitely miss gigging and not having these concerns!
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    The master volume is really good. I’m a huge believer everything sounds good loud but you don’t lose tone with the master volume so it can be very very quiet indeed. Frankly the Starwood with the volume on 2 wouldn’t be offensive to anyone downstairs so would be fine in a terrace
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    chris78 said:
    The master volume is really good. I’m a huge believer everything sounds good loud but you don’t lose tone with the master volume so it can be very very quiet indeed. Frankly the Starwood with the volume on 2 wouldn’t be offensive to anyone downstairs so would be fine in a terrace
    Agreed. The attenuator on the Bartel is the only one I've tried that genuinely doesn't seem to sound naff at lower volumes.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Bump for reference.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited August 2023
    Thread bump for a Bartel Starwood that may be coming up for sale soon… 

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited August 2023
    Having owned both the Bartel and various Lazy Js, my view was the LJ does ONE thing best, the Bartel does many things brilliantly.

However, the sheer chime and size of the J40 (mine) is addictive. Nothing comes close, so far. It's like a tweedy Hiwatt. Or indeed a HP Tweed Twin, which it's 1/2 of.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636